hello all
so I play in a classic rock/hair metal cover band (think boston, Blue oyster cult, whitesnake, ratt, etc) and I need an amp to cover the genres. my current rig is a 5150 mk1 into a jet city 2x12 with eminence legend speakers. on the board I'm using a gt10 in 4cm mainly for fx and some clean patches. my main guitar is a Michael Kelly Custom shop telecaster with Seymour Duncan jb mini/jb pickups. obviously the 5150 is a little too modern sounding for the classic rock side of our set so I'm looking to add a cheap amp to my music room and I don't want to break the bank doing so. I'm trying to keep it under 500 bucks and I have no worries about going used. ive narrowed it down to a few options and I would like some opinions

1. vox night train 50 g2
2. bugera v55/v22
3. bugera 1960
4. peavey Windsor
5. peavey classic 50 or the new 20 mh

my main concern with the bugera stuff is reliability. I haven't heard about many problems with the vintage series. they kinda seem to be perfect for what I'm goin after.

thoughts?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Honestly I don't see why a 5150 couldn't cover those sounds. Sure it won't be spot on, but none of those bands really had a low gain sound. That's just my opinion, and off topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I've heard the same thing about the Bugeras. Most of their reliability issues were in their first runs, and of those issues most of them were with the XXX and 6505 clones, which are pretty complicated amps to copy in the first place. The simpler designs they copied seem to be much more reliable. As far as the Bugeras, if you're buying them new factor a retube into the equation, Bugera generally uses shit tubes and it is probably worth replacing them right off for a better tone if nothing else.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I wouldn't want to rely on Bugera for live use personally. I found the Windsor to be lackluster, I'd take a Valveking over it any day. Have you considered Jet City?
I have thought about jet city that little 20w head is tempting. can the jca22h hold its own in a practice setting?
its not that the 5150 cant do similar tones maybe I'm just being picky idk
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I've only tried the higher wattage versions, but I don't see why it wouldn't. If you're open ti other options and they're affordable, I'd look at a Tiny Terror or preferably an OR15 as well. The latter might be too much in the US though.
Quote by iheartgun
I have thought about jet city that little 20w head is tempting. can the jca22h hold its own in a practice setting?
its not that the 5150 cant do similar tones maybe I'm just being picky idk

Fair enough.

I also agree on the Jet City, and 20 watts should have no problem in a band or gig situation.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not