Hello,

I'm trying to find a good amp to buy. I'm mainly looking for it to have a great clean tone that can also take pedals very well, but I don't quite know what to buy. Here is my personal situation:

Budget: $400, but less preferred to save some money for pedals.

Genres I like: Blues, jazz, 70s-80s rock, fusion. The only real requirement of is that the amp needs to be able to get a reasonably good jazz tone as the other genres I can easily get with good pedals.

New or Used: I'm fine buying used

Home or Gig: I would mainly use this for home use as well as small-medium sized gigs. It needs to be able to cut through the mix and get over a drummer, but it also needs to have at least decent tones at home volumes.

Closest City: If you want to go above recommending an amp and find a good craigslist posting too, I'm in the Portland, OR area.

Current Gear: Right now I'm using a coil-tappable Dean EVO Special Select (pretty much a Les Paul), to a crappy Boss DS-1 distortion pedal to an even crappies Marshall MG-10CD 40w solid state amp.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good clean sounding amp that fits these criteria? Right now all I'm really considering is the textbook answer, a Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe, but is there anything else to look out for?

Thanks!
If you like the HRD/Blues Deluxe I would consider a Blues Jr. over those two. First off, they should be a little cheaper, and IMO, they sound better. They are only 15 watts, but that should be more than loud enough for your purposes. It might not stay crystal clean if your drummer beats his kit to death.

Bias modding the amp can also give it a little more clean headroom and make it sound better overall. Those amps come from the factory biased very hot to make them sound a little mushier, but IMO they sound better with the bias set lower. A 5751 in V1 and a 12AT7 in the phase-inverter can also clean the amp up a little bit. That's if you even think it's necessary.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
A Peavey Classic 30 might be worth looking into as well. Laney does some nice stuff, but I'm not familiar with their pricing in the US. Carvin Belair, maybe.
Quote by I K0nijn I
A Peavey Classic 30 might be worth looking into as well. Laney does some nice stuff, but I'm not familiar with their pricing in the US. Carvin Belair, maybe.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/msg/5419493252.html Laney VC15 350$ used.

I've not tried many laney amps, but I'd assume that amp would cover what he wants to do pretty nicely.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm inclined to agree with Kevin; the BJr definitely sounds better than either HRD. It is definitely on the edge of being loud enough to gig with a full band but in my experience it does fine. It won't be perfectly clean if the drummer is playing hard at all, but it sounds fantastic once you get it up that loud anyway. The break up is more of a high end sizzle than a full on crunch. It also takes pedals super well. I use two ods and two fuzzes to cover a variety of dirt tones.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i have the perfect suggestion for you. an old used music man HD130. easily found under $400. has two channels, reverb, and tremolo. mine is just phenomenal for applications for the OP.

in case you don't know, the HD130 has a SS pre with a tube poweramp and SOME have a tube phase inverter (mine does). takes pedals well. louder than you would ever need to be.

orgasmic cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Used Peavey Envoy 110 red stripe, i own the silver stripe which is very good amp (previous owner upgraded the speaker to a 12" Peavey (i believe teal stripe = 1st gen, silver stripe = 2nd gen and red stripe = 3rd gen are made in USA, while the later productions are made in China). 40-watts is more than enough power and it doesn't weight that much.. you will thank yourself later.

buy used silver or red stripe Envoy 110, they both have very good clean channels, the overdrive on both amps are good as well but they are different, so i suggest listening to some video reviews.

Bandit red stripe also is very good amp, that isn't too expensive leaving you with extra budget for other essentials. pedals, strings, food and drinks.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jan 31, 2016,
Trashed nailed it. Get a used Musicman HD, they are really great clean platforms.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have the perfect suggestion for you. an old used music man HD130. easily found under $400. has two channels, reverb, and tremolo. mine is just phenomenal for applications for the OP.

in case you don't know, the HD130 has a SS pre with a tube poweramp and SOME have a tube phase inverter (mine does). takes pedals well. louder than you would ever need to be.

orgasmic cleans.

Does it do the tube thing well with a SS preamp though?
Quote by gabrielmukobi
Does it do the tube thing well with a SS preamp though?

Yeah. It is extremely dynamic and organic. You won't hear any SS clipping in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Audition a Fender Mustang III (v2) 100w 1x12!

Disregard the FX laden example presets (00-82)! Go staright to the default Presets 83 through 99 where the each of the 17 Basic Modeled Amp Presets -- without any FX -- are stored. Note: Regardless that the Mustang's Master Volume knob remains unchanged, each Basic default has its own overall volume due to the default settings for each modeled Amp!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Quote by MusicLaw
Audition a Fender Mustang III (v2) 100w 1x12!

Disregard the FX laden example presets (00-82)! Go staright to the default Presets 83 through 99 where the each of the 17 Basic Modeled Amp Presets -- without any FX -- are stored. Note: Regardless that the Mustang's Master Volume knob remains unchanged, each Basic default has its own overall volume due to the default settings for each modeled Amp!

That would be a mistake at his budget. Mustangs are just average. At best.

Not to be a jerk, but all you post about for amps are Mustangs, do you have much experience with other amps?

FWIW i am not against modeling, but I am not sure if it would be the best option for the OP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
1) Blues Junior or a used Deluxe Reverb

2) get rid of that DS1 immediately
I gigged with a Music Man and HRD for a while. Both had great clean Fender tone, both had pretty awful onboard OD. I thought the HRD worked much better with OD pedals. YMMV
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 1, 2016,
Look into Ampeg V-4 heads, or VT-22 combos. They are seriously the nicest sounding amps I've ever heard and they really like to stay clean. Toss an OD in front of that and holy shit do you ever have a nice sound.

EDIT:
For at home use look into a V-2 or VT-40 Combo, the V-4 will tear your ears off, I don't even turn it past 1/4 on the volume otherwise the drummer gets drowned out.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Feb 1, 2016,
Someone mentioned the MM HD and I'll add another clean SS amp - the Roland Chorus, but you'll have to look at the older ones as they were really well made and a great clean platform. Something got lost on the newer models, cheaper components.
Another rare oldie ss - Gallien Krueger Backline 100 watter, yes they made amps once upon a time as well.
Since we're going used - look up Ashdown Fallen Angel 50 or 60 watters. The cleans are clean and the second channel can be made fantastic with a simple mod.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 2, 2016,