Page 1 of 2
Tbh I don't understand why anyone lives in these depressing places in Michigan like Flint or Detroit. It's been fifty years since the car industry died, move somewhere nicer already.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's not that easy to move for most families.

I don't know why potable water isn't available everywhere in a first world country.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Use bottled water like a real american

My tap water is great though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Wait, what's happening?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Flint, Michigan had their water source changed to a river so it would be cheaper and they don't filter properly and now people have lead poisoning.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Yeah, I just had a quick read.

Sounds shit, move town.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by eGraham
It's not that easy to move for most families.

I don't know why potable water isn't available everywhere in a first world country.

Yes exactly. How the hell is this happening in a developed country?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yes exactly. How the hell is this happening in a developed country?

Because cost cutting.

In my experience, Governments will plan projects with all the funding and strategies in place, then as the project develops, the funding gets cut which results in parts of the program being removed, which is where the problems begin.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Because cost cutting.

In my experience, Governments will plan projects with all the funding and strategies in place, then as the project develops, the funding gets cut which results in parts of the program being removed, which is where the problems begin.

Well then they shouldn't do that. Particularly if the project is providing someone their basic human rights.
It's happening in a town in Ohio too. I don't doubt that it's in a lot of other places as well.
cat
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well then they shouldn't do that. Particularly if the project is providing someone their basic human rights.

I wholeheartedly agree, but that's what happens.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

In America, the right to own a gun is more important than basic human rights.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
In America, the right to own a gun is more important than basic human rights.

excuse me, owning a gun is a basic human right...........

Btw, the issue is not confined to MI, as guitarxo said. You can find lots of cases of contaminated, public water supplies throughout the US, particularly in less wealthy, midwestern locales.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

You're all sheeple

sunaj
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by eGraham
Flint, Michigan had their water source changed to a river so it would be cheaper and they don't filter properly and now people have lead poisoning.

Lead poison (normally) enters the water from old pipes after its left the water company. I would also be curious to know how the lead got into their new water source
Last edited by mattedbird at Jan 30, 2016,
Quote by mattedbird
Lead poison (normally) enters the water from old pipes after its left the water company. I would also be curious to know how the lead got into their new water source

That is where the lead came from, you're right. They didn't put the additive in that seals the lead into the pipes, preventing leaching.

From the river itself, though, they have found bacteria that wouldn't survive proper water treatment, but manages to infect people.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

The truth is out there Ali.

sunaj
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Michigan isn't that bad, actually wish it were colder though

I don't know how long it's been going on but it seems like:
- lead pipes were an iffy idea and
- more importantly, river water corrosion and lead pipes was a dumb combination

Unsure of the proper response atm, but definitely something to keep away from the water the way it is and more importantly, paid treatment for those affected.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Come to think of it, I remember reading something a few years ago about lead in drinking fountains in LA.
cat
This was mostly caused by Gov Rick Snyder who kept denying that people's water was being poisoned and now they have to spend billions just to replace all of the lead pipes in Flint.
When I first moved to MI (three years ago) I remember hearing on the news how people in Flint were fed up with their high water bills and a lot of people stopped paying.. Or "couldn't afford to pay". A few weeks later there was a story about how they turned all theses non-paying customers water back on.. For free.
..really.. You'll spend $100s on alcohol and cigarettes but complain about a $30 water bill.
We should all be willing to spend way more for something as valuable as water.. Not assume it's a basic human right so someone else should front the bill.. There is enough of that already.

And besides that.. No one is forcing them to use city water. Sure, they probably purchased their home under the assumption of clean city water, and I get that, but I also know a lot of people with wells who have crap water and choose to get spring water instead.. They're not begging for handouts.
Plus it's winter so why aren't you eating snow, bozos.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Don't eat the yellow snow though
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by ErikLensherr
Tbh I don't understand why anyone lives in these depressing places in Michigan like Flint or Detroit.

Because you can get a 3000sqft house for $1500 in "not that bad of a neighborhood for the price"
Quote by klintala
Because you can get a 3000sqft house for $1500 in "not that bad of a neighborhood for the price"

My hometown pretty much uses that angle to sell any property to schmucks.

It's still shit though, no matter how cheap the property.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by ErikLensherr at #33805114

Quote by NeoMvsEu at #33805108

Climate change.
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
Off the top of my head:
1. Lead poisoning is treatable
2. The metal lead is one of the easiest things to filter out of water
3. Is it just lead in the water and that's all, I doubt it very seriously.
4. I saw an educational program on how the country is going to collapse. One of the people on the program said oil, another said financial, one other one said water. We are going to run out of water.
Another one said what like trump has been trumpeting. They're coming to get us and we better watch out and the real scared.
Quote by yope
Off the top of my head:
1. Lead poisoning is treatable
2. The metal lead is one of the easiest things to filter out of water
3. Is it just lead in the water and that's all, I doubt it very seriously.
4. I saw an educational program on how the country is going to collapse. One of the people on the program said oil, another said financial, one other one said water. We are going to run out of water.
Another one said what like trump has been trumpeting. They're coming to get us and we better watch out and the real scared.

1. It is, but the after effects still remain, such as possible brain damage etc.
2. No idea, not an expert in that area.
3. Lead in toxic levels in drinking water is bad, mmmkay
4. Yep, there's never going to be enough Evian for all the hipsters in the world.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by klintala
When I first moved to MI (three years ago) I remember hearing on the news how people in Flint were fed up with their high water bills and a lot of people stopped paying.. Or "couldn't afford to pay". A few weeks later there was a story about how they turned all theses non-paying customers water back on.. For free.
..really.. You'll spend $100s on alcohol and cigarettes but complain about a $30 water bill.
We should all be willing to spend way more for something as valuable as water.. Not assume it's a basic human right so someone else should front the bill.. There is enough of that already.

And besides that.. No one is forcing them to use city water. Sure, they probably purchased their home under the assumption of clean city water, and I get that, but I also know a lot of people with wells who have crap water and choose to get spring water instead.. They're not begging for handouts.

this is the dumbest set of points i've seen in a while to the point that i'm not entirely sure whether you're serious or not
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by NeoMvsEu

I don't know how long it's been going on but it seems like:
- lead pipes were an iffy idea and
- more importantly, river water corrosion and lead pipes was a dumb combination

Unsure of the proper response atm, but definitely something to keep away from the water the way it is and more importantly, paid treatment for those affected.

https://theconversation.com/piping-as-poison-the-flint-water-crisis-and-americas-toxic-infrastructure-53473

Basically, lead pipes were known to be a bad idea, but they were thought to be less bad than not having potable water piped in.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
This is terrible, especially if there's a risk of legionnaires disease.

Clearly a massive systematic failure on the part of the new water company to not realise there are lead pipes still in use and not treat their water accordingly. I don't understand how they're getting away with that. Isn't there any kind of regulations that water companies must be held accountable to?

Had a sightly similar situation of undrinkable tap water last year in Lancashire when I was staying at my boyfriend's house. There was bacteria detected that basically gave you the shits. Fortunately it was killed by boiling the water. It was first detected at a water treatment plant (before it started affecting people) and they issued the boil water order. It took a month to sort out but now they've installed uv rigs permanently to address the issue ever coming up again, compensated people and delivered bottled water to vulnerable people during the issues. That's how you sort shit out.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
This is terrible, especially if there's a risk of legionnaires disease.

Clearly a massive systematic failure on the part of the new water company to not realise there are lead pipes still in use and not treat their water accordingly. I don't understand how they're getting away with that. Isn't there any kind of regulations that water companies must be held accountable to?

Had a sightly similar situation of undrinkable tap water last year in Lancashire when I was staying at my boyfriend's house. There was bacteria detected that basically gave you the shits. Fortunately it was killed by boiling the water. It was first detected at a water treatment plant (before it started affecting people) and they issued the boil water order. It took a month to sort out but now they've installed uv rigs permanently to address the issue ever coming up again, compensated people and delivered bottled water to vulnerable people during the issues. That's how you sort shit out.

Supply of water is definitely one of the biggest things our country does correctly. The fact that it is much more highly regulated than bottled water is is fantastic.
Quote by OddOneOut
Isn't there any kind of regulations that water companies must be held accountable to?

nah the town has a majority black population

hmu old people that think everything is fine as it is
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33805368
https://theconversation.com/piping-as-poison-the-flint-water-crisis-and-americas-toxic-infrastructure-53473

Basically, lead pipes were known to be a bad idea, but they were thought to be less bad than not having potable water piped in.

Good article, thanks

Detroit has been on an upturn for a while, but Flint has yet to leave hard times... The state focus seems to have 80% of the time been on Detroit (granted, I get metro Detroit news so there's locality bias to some extent), and no one is investing in Flint (the car companies left. Despite Detroit's reputation, Flint has had worse crime rates iirc).

They should have tested Flint River's composition and pondered its risks more thoroughly, but the blame war needs to be over pronto. The effects are happening now.

PVC seems like a good idea for a replacement, although the finances of any action should rightfully be pondered.

I wouldn't vilify the state administration for the final straw in a long line of ignorance. (Although it's a pretty heavy pounding of a nail into that coffin! @.@)
Quote by Jet Penguin
Quote by Hail
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Jan 31, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
this is the dumbest set of points i've seen in a while to the point that i'm not entirely sure whether you're serious or not

How so? Because I don't believe that everyone should be entitled to free water. That would be nice, but at the same time it also extremely valuable.

I'm greatful for how easy it is for us to get water. I would 100% be willing to pay way more for something as important as water. Same with electricity. People complain about their electrical bills all the time. Imagine what life would be like without it.. I think what they are asking for is pretty dang reasonable.

I don't see how people not paying their water bill then having their water go to crap is a dumb point. Maybe that has nothing to do with it, if not, it's some pretty crazy irony.
Page 1 of 2