So my parents had a guitar built for me when I first started playing guitar. A guy Ray Riggs who was local started up a new business making guitars. He did everything from pretty much scratch. I was the first lefty so he had to switch all the molds around and make new ones. To a kid in eigth grade wanting his first electric guitar I think I pestered my parents so much after two months of waiting for the guitar, and they put pressure on ray, I think he just told us guitar was done before really finishing it. Is it normal to just have fret wire where nut typically is? Guitar does not stay in tune for anything. Not sure where to start, but I do want to get it playable because it's pretty badass.
Attachments:
phpE0a499PM.jpg
phpzr2G4sPM.jpg
phpGZIW4JPM.jpg
Last edited by malibuclc at Jan 31, 2016,
A zero fret isn't unheard of, but god knows it's not normal to not have a string nut.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Interesting guitar. Can you get a closeup of the setup *behind* the zero fret (that group of three things between the fretwire and the tuners)?

What you have is a zero fret. Not uncommon at all. It *looks* like you have behind-the-fret string locks (or perhaps just a set of three string T's) that are performing the string separation that a nut would, traditionally. Interesting setup, but this kind of thing mostly happened in the '70's. When was the guitar built? The guitar is certainly completed. Probably take a little bit of tweaking to make it stay in tune. And yes, it's badass. Send it to me when you're bored with it; I know some lefties who would probably love it.
The guitar was built in 97 or 98 by this guy Ray Riggs who I googled once and as I remember he was a pretty accomplished guitar player - probably influenced by guitars he played in the 70's. I'm afraid I can't give this one up as I don't think there are too many laying around, and perhaps no leftys at all.
Attachments:
phpphTHoBPM.jpg
phpCpdNvjPM.jpg
Is there a specific way that it goes out of tune? As in, does it just go out of tune when you play, or is there a specific thing that causes one or more strings to detune?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Is there a specific way that it goes out of tune? As in, does it just go out of tune when you play, or is there a specific thing that causes one or more strings to detune?

Good question. I honestly think it has more to do with movement of the guitar and something not being right. For example, if I drop my pick and lean down to pick it up with guitar in lap, as I lean down you will hear guitar detune like your using whammy bar. Sit back up and it's out of tune. It goes out of tune while playing as well, but I think because something is letting strings move. Neck maybe an issue? I can put some pressure on back of neck and get the whammy effect, so maybe it's flexing and going out of tune. Its a bolt on and I have checked tightness of bolts and they are tight as they can be.
is it a bolt on neck?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by malibuclc
Yes it is.

make sure the neck is seated properly in the neck pocket and the screws are tight.

It sounds like your shifting the neck just a little in the pocket which will cause issues like your explaining.

Just seen your in FL too, where about?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
make sure the neck is seated properly in the neck pocket and the screws are tight.

It sounds like your shifting the neck just a little in the pocket which will cause issues like your explaining.

Just seen your in FL too, where about?

Seems like it is seated right. Screws are tight. Took some pictures. Im in lakeland. Nsb=new Smyrna beach?
Attachments:
phpvZOCEsAM.jpg
phpLjIkU8AM.jpg
phpf18bPMAM.jpg
Quote by malibuclc
Seems like it is seated right. Screws are tight. Took some pictures. Im in lakeland. Nsb=new Smyrna beach?

Yep new Smyrna Beach, I take it you've been here before or know about it. Lakelands nice, just way too far from the ocean for my tastes

tune your guitar and then strum it while gently trying to shift the neck up, down and sideways. see if anything happens to the tuning stability then
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 31, 2016,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yep new Smyrna Beach, I take it you've been here before or know about it. Lakelands nice, just way too far from the ocean for my tastes

tune your guitar and then strum it while gently trying to shift the neck up, down and sideways. see if anything happens to the tuning stability then

Yeah, I have not been to nsb but have been to Daytona of course for spring break and cocoa beach. Nice area. I don't really make the trek out to the east coast. I've got Ana Maria/siesta keys, Indian rocks, Clearwater all fairly close.

So when I tune guitar up and play, if I don't move guitar in any way and play lightly it does stay in tune fairly well. It seems like if I make any movements, and we're not talking about jumping around and thrashing here, one or several strings will completely come out of tune. I'll tune it back, play some chords, and then sometimes that string goes back and is now too high? Mostly g string does this.
Quote by malibuclc
Yeah, I have not been to nsb but have been to Daytona of course for spring break and cocoa beach. Nice area. I don't really make the trek out to the east coast. I've got Ana Maria/siesta keys, Indian rocks, Clearwater all fairly close.

So when I tune guitar up and play, if I don't move guitar in any way and play lightly it does stay in tune fairly well. It seems like if I make any movements, and we're not talking about jumping around and thrashing here, one or several strings will completely come out of tune. I'll tune it back, play some chords, and then sometimes that string goes back and is now too high? Mostly g string does this.

I'd be willing to bet the neck is not seated properly or the screws are not doing their job.

have you ever tried removing the neck and then putting it back on? try it and see how far the screws are actually going into the neck.

The G string sounds like a poorly cut nut but your guitar has a zero fret.

Is the guitar worth enough to you to let a competent tech check it out? That would be my suggestion.

Yeah the Gulf coast is decent, but I grew up surfing and the waves in the gulf suck 99% of the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate