Page 1 of 2
I dont know if there is anyone else here that is into this for fun or add a job so i decided to give this thread a shot. I, started the middle of last year as a hobbyso i still know very little and hopefully as the thread progresses the the op becomes more usefull. Also if you mention a program please give a description of what it is/does because it will be more then likely better then what I put here.

Game engines

Unreal engine 4 free download (ue4)
https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Very powerful engine they make money when you make money, if memory serves correctly its 5 percent gross of what you make if its over $3000 us dollars a fiscal quarter
Supports all current platforms minus nintendo

Unity developer kit (udk)
https://unity3d.com I dont know much about it other then there is a personal i use edition (free) professional ($75 usd a month )and a custom which is who knows.
Supports all platforms

http://www.monogame.net/ Monogame - Built on the remnants of Microsofts XNA 4 Framework. Recent games made using this include Bastion, Fez and Axiom Verge. Allows games to be made using Visual Studio IDE and c# for the coding language

Rpg maker free trial/flat fee
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download i dont know much about this one
Ill add others as we name them

3d modeling

Blender.https://www.blender.org technically this falls under the game engine category to but its no where near as powerful or as stable as udk or ue4. Blender is a 3d modeling software that also does animation. Open source also free

Maya
http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/overview. Dont know much about it other then its a 3d modeling and animation software thats expensive (hopefully some one else knows more about this so we can have some better info)

Misc programs,

Makehuman, its an open source program that does exactly what it says. Makes humans. Oh word to the wise if your going the blender route install this one first.

Poser3d. Makehuman's comercial and way better cousin. I am poor so i didnt buy this yet so i don't know much about it.

Gimp... open source photoshop. Helpful for making custom uv wraps because screw paying for adobe

Awesomebump open source bump map texturimg

Crazybump, comercial version of awesomebump

Hopefully this helps some one.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jan 31, 2016,
I've always been tempted to toy with RPG maker and make something like Ib or It Moves... anyone know how it handles? Is it even worth the cash, offers a lot of different options etc?
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I only remember the old ones on the playstation 1/2.edit looked it up added
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
IMO ue4 < unity, really a C++ (ue) vs c# issue if it matters to you, other than that it's preference.

I like 3ds max for modelling specifically, and maya when I have animations to do. fuck blender too. I hate the interface and it takes half the time to get to the same result in maya

tried rpg maker back in the day too, wasn't bad. for top-down 2d rpg's it's by far the easiest.

EDIT: also udk is ue3 if anyone doesn't know. ue4 is superior and has a better pricing model.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Jan 31, 2016,
Monogame - Built on the remnants of Microsofts XNA 4 Framework. Recent games made using this include Bastion, Fez and Axiom Verge. Allows games to be made using Visual Studio IDE and c# for the coding language (which is superior to Java imo )

This seems like a good idea for a thread but I think it'll be a losing battle really, if the coding thread is anything to go by.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Feb 1, 2016,
I have a little faith that this thread will take off ts just going to move very very slow....
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
me and bakr thought about making a game but afaik neither of really play games too much so it probably would have been way cooler than most games because they're all made by the worst people
I like it because i get to play god with the universe I dont know i get more joy from dicking arround in ue4 then from playing games anymore, its actually a lot off fun minus getting pissed all the random bs of getting stuff to work.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
I've been interested in making games for a while, but more as a 'creative director' than doing programming which is boring lol.

confession: I did mess with rpg maker to make a pokemon game better than the real thing but was like fuck it not worth the effort for a fan game and now I have no computer so it'll never be finished. not that I got very far at all to begin with.
RPGmaker is great for really short, humorous games where all the townspeople kill you, or everyone you encounter joins your party until there's a line of 50 sprites following you - stuff like that.
i write graphics code w/ opengl and plain c.

c++ is for chumps
object orientation is for chumps
i better see a quadruple pointer in your code or you're a chump
etc
pointers lol
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Eastwinn at #33806344

c++ is for chumps
etc
immediate mode or riot
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by soundgarden1986
i dont know anything about how to make things but i have a shit load of dumb ideas so god damn it ill try my best

This is how I feel too I come up with random ideas and draw cool stuff but I have no idea how to computer so I never try
Quote by Eastwinn

c++ is for chumps
etc

Found the Linus
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I have just finished an iPhone app for guitarists that I made with Unity3D. I tried a couple of other programs before finding Unity and found it to be the best for my needs by far. It's brilliant software. It has a bit of a steep learning curve if, like I did, you're starting from scratch, but there are tons of tutorials online that will help you get started.

If you'd like to check my game out, links are in my signature
Check out my free iOS game, designed to help you learn the notes on the guitar fretboard!
(You get to shoot zombies too! :-)

I'd really appreciate any feedback & suggestions.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpEM6FKtws
Quote by Eastwinn

c++ is for chumps
etc

Pfft.

Sinclair Basic or nothing.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I've made a few games in Unity and I would highly recommend it. If you want a tool easier than coding your own engine from scratch, but with a lot more open-ended-ness from the get-go than tools dedicated to certain game genres it's great. There's a new update around the corner that will implement tile-mapping features into Unity and I'm super excited for it.
This is an interest of mine I haven't been able to put any time into for 6 months or more, and intend to resume soon. Will look over the OP more later, this is just to remind me the thread exists
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by NothingRocks
There's a new update around the corner that will implement tile-mapping .

That sounds nice

Edit: It would be better if the OP wasn't just copy/paste of thread posts cos some of those mentions in the OP don't make sense in context. Mine included.

Edit edit: quit stealing my underpants
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Feb 1, 2016,
I've been developing my first game for the past two years. It's sort of like FTL, but 3D instead of 2D, and with less of a focus on combat. It's more about exploration and piecing together the storyline. It's way too ambitious and a stupid idea for a first game, especially when working alone. But after all this time, it's finally starting to come together. It's starting to look pretty cool now.

I'll need to hire someone to do music, and possibly sound design. I might do a small Kickstarter for those elements. But I'm waiting until the game is basically finished, so I'll have something to show in the Kickstarter.

Hopefully I'll be able to release the game by the end of the year.
Quote by tateandlyle
me and bakr thought about making a game but afaik neither of really play games too much so it probably would have been way cooler than most games because they're all made by the worst people

lol so this is where the inspiration came from
Quote by Jackintehbox
I've been developing my first game for the past two years. It's sort of like FTL, but 3D instead of 2D, and with less of a focus on combat. It's more about exploration and piecing together the storyline. It's way too ambitious and a stupid idea for a first game, especially when working alone. But after all this time, it's finally starting to come together. It's starting to look pretty cool now.

I'll need to hire someone to do music, and possibly sound design. I might do a small Kickstarter for those elements. But I'm waiting until the game is basically finished, so I'll have something to show in the Kickstarter.

What plaform are you releasing it on? Steam? Mobile? Have you decided on a name for the game?
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Feb 2, 2016,
Quote by Rebel Scum
What plaform are you releasing it on? Steam? Mobile? Have you decided on a name for the game?

I'm hoping to release it on Steam. I've got a couple ideas for the title, but I don't want to say them until I officially choose one.

There isn't much I want to show yet, but I can show this. It's a render of a work-in-progress ship.

I have a never-ending project to program a roguelike on python. I've been using curses-library, so it can be played on terminal. You can currently move and kill rats.
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I've been trying to make something in RPG Maker, bit its a bit too ambitious with the limitations present in the program.

Also I don't know shit about programming and could use a basic course on sprite animation or something.

I tried unity once and all I managed to do was make a really ugly tree.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
saturday cant come fast enough so i can go learn more stuff and not be exhausted from work. I cant unity to work on my computer some weird licence issue.

oh this is sick btw.
http://kotaku.com/the-first-stage-of-spyro-the-dragon-in-unreal-engine-4-1756339870
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Quote by Jackintehbox at #33809061

This is pretty awesome dude. Best of luck
ggg1 ggg3

Thanks for starting this thread dude. I'm looking at games development as a potential career choice so this will be extremely helpful for me.
Quote by nincompoop
I've been toying with game making in various forms for about 15 years, and never got anywhere near the finishing stages. It's pretty daunting.

Start with a really simple game, then.

Don't go straight from nubcake to FO4.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by jakesmellspoo
I tried unity once and all I managed to do was make a really ugly tree.
:-)

Yeah my game would have looked shocking if I'd tried to do the designs myself, very luckily for me my cousin is awesome at that stuff!

I would hugely recommend Unity for anyone new to making games. There are soo many tutorials and quality forums around for it which make things much easier. GB is the first and only game I've made and I learnt everything from scratch to do it. I wouldn't have stood a chance without all the free information out there!
Check out my free iOS game, designed to help you learn the notes on the guitar fretboard!
(You get to shoot zombies too! :-)

I'd really appreciate any feedback & suggestions.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxpEM6FKtws
Quote by behind_you
UG Simulator™

Simple. 2 buttons, fap and shitpost. No matter what you do, in what combination, nothing ever changes.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 2