So I'm learning Samson and Delilah by Gary Davis, and it has this G7 voicing
E|--10--
B|--8----
G|--10--
D|--9----
A|--10--
E|--------
So I try playing this, but if I reach my thumb far enough to hold down the G Bass, I can't wrap my other fingers around far enough to finger the chord. You can't Barre the 10 because then you'll mute the D and B strings, and you can't Barre the D and B cuz they're different notes
Do I just have to stretch my thumb? If so, any advice on making it reach?
I would probably barre the 8 and leave a note out. But I've been known to half ass ridiculous chords like that. Someone else may have have a more correct way of doing it, but in the context of a band situation, other instruments, like the bass, can pick up the bass roots and you can get away with leaving out the A string G. Really, I can guarantee that no one would be able to tell I half assed that chord if they saw me play it live.

Also, another option is to change up the fingering pattern to something easier. This may change the voicing to something undesirable though, It couldn't hurt to try it though.

You can go to extremes and change the guitar's tuning also, but this isn't usually practical and may mess up other things depending on the song. Its something to think about though, and many recordings use open G or open E and it'll drive you crazy if you try to emulate them with a standard tuned guitar.

That being said, I don't have my guitar handy, so I'm not 100% sure how I would play that particular chord.
Last edited by jlowe22 at Jan 31, 2016,
See, that's the thing, I'm not with a band so leaving it out will be noticeable. And the voicing are such a distinctive part of his style, changing them doesn't do the song justice
And the next chord is Am, played
--8--
--8--
--9--
-----
-----
--8--
Jjumping from a G7 in first position to that Am all the way up the neck at the speed of the song is almost impossible (for me, at least). I could always change to a first position Am but again, it starts changing the whole sound of the song
Quote by teleobrien
So I'm learning Samson and Delilah by Gary Davis, and it has this G7 voicing
E|--10--
B|--8----
G|--10--
D|--9----
A|--10--
E|--------
So I try playing this, but if I reach my thumb far enough to hold down the G Bass, I can't wrap my other fingers around far enough to finger the chord. You can't Barre the 10 because then you'll mute the D and B strings, and you can't Barre the D and B cuz they're different notes
Do I just have to stretch my thumb? If so, any advice on making it reach?

That chord voicing makes no sense - it is clearly not used - unless all those notes are not played at the same time and you can remove one of your fingers.

If you're pulling that from the internet it's clearly wrong.
Quote by reverb66
That chord voicing makes no sense - it is clearly not used - unless all those notes are not played at the same time and you can remove one of your fingers.

It's definitely possible; with a bit of shuffling I can get all the notes to sound clearly, but I use my thumb a lot and even for me it's awkward. With practice (and on a smaller neck than my Tele's, on which it borders on uncomfortable) I reckon it could be pretty manageable.

Looks like this:

Excuse my nails

Whether using your thumb for chords is a viable option really does depend on the guitar, though; it's a big part of my Fender preference.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 1, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
It's definitely possible; with a bit of shuffling I can get all the notes to sound clearly, but I use my thumb a lot and even for me it's awkward. With practice (and on a smaller neck than my Tele's, on which it borders on uncomfortable) I reckon it could be pretty manageable.

Looks like this:

Excuse my nails

Whether using your thumb for chords is a viable option really does depend on the guitar, though; it's a big part of my Fender preference.

I'm using an acoustic, so if anything the neck is a bit bigger :/. I'll keep trying with my thumb though. I use it a lot for the E string but not as much for the A
I just listened to the actual track - they guy can barely voice a chord, let alone a chord like that - he clearly isn't playing that voicing - OP - ignore the chord voicing - a G7 in that position would normally omit the note on the 8th fret of the B string.

Some advice going forward - blues is all about efficient moveable chord voicings that provide good percussive impact - the chord you are trying to do makes no sense, especially in the context of a scrappy blues tune.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Looks like this:

Excuse my nails

Well I'll admit it's possible, but there's still no way he's using it - the transcriber got it wrong, which they often do. Even Hendrix doesn't voice a chord like that.
Quote by reverb66
I just listened to the actual track - they guy can barely voice a chord, let alone a chord like that - he clearly isn't playing that voicing - OP - ignore the chord voicing - a G7 in that position would normally omit the note on the 8th fret of the B string.

Some advice going forward - blues is all about efficient moveable chord voicings that provide good percussive impact - the chord you are trying to do makes no sense, especially in the context of a scrappy blues tune.

Having likewise listened to the track now, I'm going to agree. I don't believe he's doing anything remotely along those lines.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Having likewise listened to the track now, I'm going to agree. I don't believe he's doing anything remotely along those lines.

What chord do you think he's playing then? Still G7 (in a different position), or a normal G? I'm not good at theory so this isn't something I can decide on my own
Quote by teleobrien
What chord do you think he's playing then? Still G7 (in a different position), or a normal G? I'm not good at theory so this isn't something I can decide on my own

If you simply remove the note on the 8th fret B string the chord remains a G7 - because that note is just an octave of G ( you're playing the note "G" twice in other words) - it's unnecessary.

Just mute the b string with that same chord voicing. Or, you can try playing the 9th chord- bar the top three strings with your third finger - that would be the "cool" way of doing it!
I would remove the note on the 10th fret of the high E string making a "C7" shape on the 10th fret. If not, you can barre your ring finger across the 10th fret of the G-B-E strings kind of like a G9 shape and mute the B string with your index finger.
Skip the username, call me Billy
the D note is in the soprano so the G7 inversion with B in the bass works just fine(if there is a bass player - they will play the G note.....with practice you can play this chord as written with out your thumb -- but by using your third finger almost like a bar but held at an angle - don't use tip of finger but the flat of it- (playing the G and B notes)..just isolate those two notes and try using just the middle finger to play them..(it is an old blues trick and is used in lots of chords)
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Feb 1, 2016,
Yeah... that voicing is not possible without the thumb, and any such non-standard techniques ought to be indicated on the music. Best to use your ears before looking at written sources. Glaring mistakes are not unusual, even in classical guitar scores.
It did seem completely strange to use, but I know little nowadays with these chord variants, so I couldn't call out on it much to begin with
This voicing, whilst not completely impossible, is a waste of time. You shouldn't take online tabs too literally because there are an enormous amount of inaccurate tabs out there. Unless it's done with a capo, just do the conventional C7-shape. Even if the tune does actually use the shape you mention, the gain is negligible. There are more important things to work on.
There's a good lesson here:

1) never blindly trust any transcription - use your ears and your brain when learning tunes.

2) There are many ways to play anything on guitar, it is best to focus on approaches that are ergonomic because those create good habits - mastering small moveable chord voicings is absolutely crucial to being a great player, especially for blues and jazz. Convoluted voicings are only necessary when they are absolutely vital to a song - such as in solo Classical guitar pieces.