Page 1 of 2
what laptop should I get? mine is in danger of dying and I want to have a replacement in mind so I can order it quickly when needed

I'm open to any but leaning away from Apple right now because of the cost and lack of compatibility with my other devices. I've read reviews but now i just want to hear what people think are good.

ideally a balance of lightweight and robust so I don't kill my back carrying it around but it doesn't feel fragile either

Non negotiable: must have an optical drive and at least 2 USB ports and a HDMI port

Tablet functionality is unnecessary
cat
budget?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
budget?

none at the moment - let's just say definitely under 2k
cat
Dell have the best builds/customization options on their site. I miss mine

lol@apple
I don't have much insight tbh because if I had money assigned for a laptop I'd be looking at ASUS, looking at something with good performance but with no consideration for bulkiness/portability

I don't know what's good in thinner laptops which arent Apple
HP EliteBook?
Quote by Fat Lard

lol@apple

I have a Dell. I wonder if anyone else has this issue with Dell laptops. My Dell once recognized itself charging for a while,but after that, it doesn't recognize the charger until the battery is about 85%
I've only ever bought a Dell Inspiron for my mom. Can't say it's very lightweight, but I can say it runs just as good as my desktop (Dell XPS 8700).

Although they do have 2-in-1 models.
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jan 31, 2016,
Quote by Axelfox
I have a Dell. I wonder if anyone else has this issue with Dell laptops. My Dell once recognized itself charging for a while,but after that, it doesn't recognize the charger until the battery is about 85%

Mine got stolen, but had the extra battery life option, so it was pretty dope. hp is okay but not as mlg
What are you looking to do with it? The rest of my family is running Lenovo stuff, and that stuff is pretty reliable, but YMMV depending on what you're doing

Also, if you're at all clumsy like I am, I'd suggest buying a snap-on case for your laptop if there's something.

Source: um, I've dropped mine from a few feet up and it survived... (but not without panicking first)
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
How much storage do you need? What is it going to be used for? Just surfing the web? Running super intensive games? Making videos? Making wubs? Just wondering if you're going to need lots of RAM or a badass CPU or what.
Quote by Fat Lard

lol@apple

What did you have/what do you have now?

The only reasons I am considering apple is because I can buy it in person (which I prefer) and I can get it at 80%-90% off regardless of the model. There are loads of compatibility issues with the software I use but nearly everyone I work with has a Macbook so that is something I need to ask them about.
cat
Quote by Axelfox at #33806523

might need to calibrate the battery.

http://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/soho/soho_article_8?c=us&l=en&cs=19&dgc=SM&cid=279855&lid=5314169
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jan 31, 2016,
at 90% off, even I would consider converting to the dark side :O
Quote by NeoMvsEu
What are you looking to do with it? The rest of my family is running Lenovo stuff, and that stuff is pretty reliable, but YMMV depending on what you're doing

Also, if you're at all clumsy like I am, I'd suggest buying a snap-on case for your laptop if there's something.

Source: um, I've dropped mine from a few feet up and it survived... (but not without panicking first)

See below my dad has been pushing me towards Lenovo because he has a Lenovo desktop that he likes a lot but idk what their laptops are like.

My laptop will be stationary for the most part but yeah I should probably get one of those.

Quote by The4thHorsemen
How much storage do you need? What is it going to be used for? Just surfing the web? Running super intensive games? Making videos? Making wubs? Just wondering if you're going to need lots of RAM or a badass CPU or what.

I probably should've said this earlier lol. I will be doing homework and research on it most of the time. Extra storage space is ideal since i work with lots of audio/video files and can't put them on external drives for security reasons. I don't need it for games.
cat
Quote by Ichikurosaki at #33806534
at 90% off i would sell it on and then buy a better non-apple laptop and end up with profit

I would buy two, sell one for profit, and buy an extra PC. Best of both worlds
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
One can dream :')

If all else fails, you can get Parallels, Crossover, or the like and run the Windows programs that way. I'm getting by using Wine on the few programs I do use (GP5 with some bugs, Visual Boy Advance are the main ones), but the others are more stable. Plus Final Cut Pro seems to be pretty good?

Upgrade graphics and hard drive space, and don't go for an old 13" like me - the only port I have is a mini-Displayport...
Quote by Jet Penguin
Quote by Hail
I'd gift my 90% off laptops to people for a kickback 💸💸
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I don't know if any of Apple's laptops have optical drives anymore. I know my brother's new one doesn't
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
For 80% off a mac it might be worth the hassle of setting up a virtual machine to run windows. You can also buy usb optical drives so the laptop doesnt have to have one built in which might save on weight. The mac option will require a bit more time and know how though so if you're not comfortable with that then you might wanna go with a dell or something like that.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Microsoft Presents: The MacBook.

Except both the Surface and the Surface Book >>>> iPad and MacBook
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It looks awesome, but companies still following Apple design standards.

h8 us cuz they 8nt us

Quote by guitarxo
See below my dad has been pushing me towards Lenovo because he has a Lenovo desktop that he likes a lot but idk what their laptops are like.

Run well, last well, incredibly vulnerable to any knocks. Source: I've had 2 and they both crashed if I hit they keys too hard, plus I dropped the second one yesterday and it has not started again and the hard drive is irretrievable, same thing with the first one except a small item (shot glass) was dropped on it and irretrievable hard drive.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
http://www.pcm.com/Deal-of-the-Week

Quote by Pastafarian96
Run well, last well, incredibly vulnerable to any knocks. Source: I've had 2 and they both crashed if I hit they keys too hard, plus I dropped the second one yesterday and it has not started again and the hard drive is irretrievable, same thing with the first one except a small item (shot glass) was dropped on it and irretrievable hard drive.

I've got 24 Lenovos deployed to service technicians and haven't seen that at all. How damn hard are you hitting the keys?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 1, 2016,
Quote by guitarxo
What did you have/what do you have now?

The only reasons I am considering apple is because I can buy it in person (which I prefer) and I can get it at 80%-90% off regardless of the model. There are loads of compatibility issues with the software I use but nearly everyone I work with has a Macbook so that is something I need to ask them about.

WHAT
Didn't see that post before.

Unless you have special software/compatibility needs, I would def get the Apple. Savings like that are no joke
Quote by Dreadnought
Didn't see that post before.

Unless you have special software/compatibility needs, I would def get the Apple. Savings like that are no joke

It's the pit, 80% of the people here are special needs...
Charles Darwin
I have an acer, dunno the exact model because I bought it from argos in a rush when I thought my other one died. Its pretty decent, was like £300, reduced from £450. Acer used to be a pile of shit, but their newer laptops are actually some of the best on the market for their price imo. my one before this was an acer too and that was pretty great

I carry this one to and from uni on the train, just in my satchel bag, so its taken a few knocks but still works fine. Had it for a year and a half now and my only complaint is windows 8.1
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
I have an acer, dunno the exact model because I bought it from argos in a rush when I thought my other one died. Its pretty decent, was like £300, reduced from £450. Acer used to be a pile of shit, but their newer laptops are actually some of the best on the market for their price imo. my one before this was an acer too and that was pretty great

I carry this one to and from uni on the train, just in my satchel bag, so its taken a few knocks but still works fine. Had it for a year and a half now and my only complaint is windows 8.1

What's stopping you from the free Win10 upgrade? I've done all but 2 of my home systems and about half of the work systems with nary a hitch, highly recommended.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911 at #33807172
What's stopping you from the free Win10 upgrade? I've done all but 2 of my home systems and about half of the work systems with nary a hitch, highly recommended.

Laziness mostly. I heard Win10 was pretty meh, my parents have it on their home pc and from what I've seen of it I'm not too keen. I'm trying to find my disk with Win7 installer on it, failing that I'll just download it again from somewhere and install 7. I just haven't got around to it yet, and honestly win8.1 isn't that bad

I wouldn't mind running linux/ubuntu again, I just need to look up compatibility with steam and a few other programs. I just cba because its the middle of semester and I really can't afford to fuck anything up with my laptop atm
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Get the Mac. I made the switch in 2009 and never looked back. The Windows computers at my work, and my wife's Dell just seem clunky in comparison. SSD and plenty of ram and it will never let you down. Battery lasts forever, hardware is solid, and while there is some Mac malware now it is 1/100 as prevalent as found in Windows.

The only reason I see to own a Windows machine is if you are a serious gamer. Windows is still the primary game development environment.
Quote by Bladez22
Laziness mostly. I heard Win10 was pretty meh, my parents have it on their home pc and from what I've seen of it I'm not too keen. I'm trying to find my disk with Win7 installer on it, failing that I'll just download it again from somewhere and install 7. I just haven't got around to it yet, and honestly win8.1 isn't that bad

I wouldn't mind running linux/ubuntu again, I just need to look up compatibility with steam and a few other programs. I just cba because its the middle of semester and I really can't afford to fuck anything up with my laptop atm

I actually quite like Win10, to me it's the best of Win7 and the best of 8.1 together, but YMMV.

It definitely seems more responsive than 8.1, but that may just be in my head.
Charles Darwin
Guitarxo If I gave you the money, could you buy me a Mac? Dead serious. I'll even pitch you a commission

Also, I think it's about time you tell us where exactly you go to school/work that sells you Macs for 90% off lol. I've never heard of such a discount when I was in school
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Feb 1, 2016,
I got myself a Surface Pro over Christmas, and it's probably the smartest purchase I've made in a long time
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
also looking for a new one caus mine needs a new battery, hdmi port and some of the keys stick. looking for 8g ram, 1tb, 2+ processor unless maybe it's close and a quad core and a 15+ inch screen
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Page 1 of 2