My AKG K271 headphones are finally starting to crap out on me, after like 10 years or so. Pretty good run. I'm not bummed about it. But the cable connection is starting to get real iffy. Left side cuts out frequently, and I have to jiggle the shit out of the connection area to find a sweet spot where it works. I've actually resorted to tying the cord around itself, to maintain pressure on it. Seems to be working okay. I'm gonna try to figure out if this is a problem with the cord, which is replaceable, or the connection on the headphones themselves. Either way, I'm thinking it may be time to get some new ones.

So, on to the real question. My K271s were made in Austria, and the only AKGs I've seen since I get these are low end models that are made in China. Considering it's been 10 years since I got mine, I don't know if maybe they've moved all production to China, or if it's just the low end models. If I were to get a set of the new K271 MKII ($200) or anything higher end than that, does anyone know if those models are still made in Austria? It doesn't mention country of manufacture on the spec sheets on their website. Mine have a big label right on the earpiece that says "Made in Austria". Doesn't look like the new ones have that same label, at least not anywhere I can see on the pictures on their site.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I'll check mine and let you know.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
They make a lot of headphones in china even among the high end ones, and I think the k271 are made in china as well right now.

Why would you care tho, for the high end ones the earpads are slightly different and that's about all the difference you'll find, so I'm guessing the difference in the lower end ones is the same.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Bookmarked that video. I'll look into it. Although I don't even know if the problem is the cable, or the connector part on the headphones themselves. The end that plugs into the headphone jack is just fine. It's at the detachable part on the earpiece that the connection is going out, and needs to be jiggled and mashed into a certain angle to work.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
Bookmarked that video. I'll look into it. Although I don't even know if the problem is the cable, or the connector part on the headphones themselves. The end that plugs into the headphone jack is just fine. It's at the detachable part on the earpiece that the connection is going out, and needs to be jiggled and mashed into a certain angle to work.

Same basic process on the other end of the cord. Headphone wiring is super simple so just find the break and fix it. Adding some heat shrink tubing as a strain relief is also a good idea while you are in there. No reason to buy new ones unless you need to burn a few unnecessary Benjamin's for an income tax write off later.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 2, 2016,
My new AKG K712's were made in Slovakia.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
The newer AGG K721s are made in China. BUT, I have two sets of the K702s, one made in Austria, and one made in China, and I can assure you, honestly, there is no difference in sound between the two. If someone tells you otherwise, pardon the pun but they're hearing things.

The quality of both pairs of headphones is great and I would not be able to tell one pair from the other were it not for the 'Made In Austria' on the side. I see that the price of the K702s and K721s has dropped here in the UK considerably since I got mine, which I would've thought would be to do with the move to China.

But, as someone has already said, I reckon you'd be able to fix your K721s yourself if it is just a connection issue!
I got a pair of AKG K240 mkII for a friend's birthday, and they are Made in China. The sound is the same, there is an improvement in design as to you can disconnect the jack from the left side or it disconnects automatically if you were to step on a short piece of the cable, which on the original design will drop the headphones to the floor and you'll have to spend some time putting the earcups back together. The materials seem a little cheaper than on my pair which is Austrian, not sure how long they'll last in comparison either, but they seem to be with the same sound and he was happy to ditch his Yamaha DJ headphones after he heard these, they've become inseparable part of his kit.