Hi,Ive just started writing lyrics but then i realised i didnt even start yet.I want to write about books movies famous people or historical events but without giving the names and stuff (pretty much like iron maiden).I have no idea about any of them and i need help.Any expert?
Study and read up on them. You can't pull things out of nothing.

You have to write about something you want AND know (or have an opinion of).

You also need to write and keep writing, even if you think it sucks or you don't have the whole piece, write it down. You can have it to stew on or develop further. Keep writing, keep writing, keep writing.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by bjgrifter
Study and read up on them. You can't pull things out of nothing.

You have to write about something you want AND know (or have an opinion of).

You also need to write and keep writing, even if you think it sucks or you don't have the whole piece, write it down. You can have it to stew on or develop further. Keep writing, keep writing, keep writing.

so you mean i have to add not just the ''thing'' and also my opinion about it (the book or whatever)
Or a summery of themes and ideas. You may choose to examine a portion of a story as well.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

How do these events make you feel ?
How do you think they felt? (in History)

Write Keep writing ? for some it could be to stop, and give it deep thought while writing.

I keep going, and edit later , but that's just me (but it's not always the same)
I've also wrote out quite a bit of something, and taken one sentence out I liked.

Also PLEASE do not write on little pieces of paper unless that's all you have at the time
GET organized with a note book or two (make copies)
(you can also have a second note pad for traveling or tear out pages and add to a Binder)

What I do is write to The tones of Music playing
Credence , and clear water wrote Born on the Bayou by yelling out sounds (AEIOU etc.)
while playing

When I said I write listening to music , and music tones
I mean it has helped most of my better stuff came from that
Cranking up Stone temple Pilates full blast or something
(or your own music that you've recorded already so you could focus on one thing
or at least record it so you do not forget if it comes to you.
(exercise helps with creativity, and thinking clearly as in bike riding it's proven by science )
Last edited by AuroraIllinois at Feb 5, 2016,
Quote by bjgrifter
Or a summery of themes and ideas. You may choose to examine a portion of a story as well.

I like that I do that for some comedy idea's
I can imagine what needs to be said (and where I'm going with it)
but writing it all out I'd lose the idea
so I out line the Idea's so I know where I'm going with it,.(without forgetting)

(NOTE you may enjoy how someone else plays guitar or sings but sometimes in my case music comes out differently for each individual, you can work on your weaknesses, but don't forget your natural talents..)
Quote by AuroraIllinois
How do these events make you feel ?
How do you think they felt? (in History)

Write Keep writing ? for some it could be to stop, and give it deep thought while writing.

I keep going, and edit later , but that's just me (but it's not always the same)
I've also wrote out quite a bit of something, and taken one sentence out I liked.

Also PLEASE do not write on little pieces of paper unless that's all you have at the time
GET organized with a note book or two (make copies)
(you can also have a second note pad for traveling or tear out pages and add to a Binder)

What I do is write to The tones of Music playing
Credence , and clear water wrote Born on the Bayou by yelling out sounds (AEIOU etc.)
while playing

When I said I write listening to music , and music tones
I mean it has helped most of my better stuff came from that
Cranking up Stone temple Pilates full blast or something
(or your own music that you've recorded already so you could focus on one thing
or at least record it so you do not forget if it comes to you.
(exercise helps with creativity, and thinking clearly as in bike riding it's proven by science )

To add, I like to write ideas in my head down on my phone so I don't forget them and then expand as I can. I've written some lyrics entirely on my phone and just copied them to my PC. I was using fast notepad on my last phone, but I haven't installed it on the one I just got, but there's stuff out there. You may explore the same topic and have something that finally fits better than others.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Hey you posted at 5 :19 my birthday
I never Typed Online Really for lyrics until (the 8th of January)
except for Comedy , and prose..

I realized it comes out different typing (and that's good)

I just usually Scribble with a Marker
(very fast,and do not worry about spelling or fine tuning anything
but I did write one time where I wrote a line thought for a while, and wrote the next)

METAL SPAWN
I guess your going to find what works for you in time for you.
Wish I was more of a story teller sometimes, (like Iron Maiden)
but That's why I should write to write , and build up on my technique as well more....

I've been very Unorganized, and lost a lot of idea's I could of build upon So now I try to stick with a note book or Binder , and have extra copies.
Is it better to have your melody down, with a solid chord progression - before you decide or worry about lyrics? Didn't Cobain say "Melody is more important than lyrics?"
I had thought up the instrumental part before the lyrical part for my songs, so I would go with melody before lyrics. For a lot of others, they do lyrics first and then see what can work with it. I say either can work if they work well