Quick and simple: I like having my action a bit higher than most metal / shred players prefer, but this way I get the feel I want. But then I can`t set the intonation right, the saddle just can`t move any further towards the stopbar, this happens on G and low E strings. Can this be because the strings I am using ( elixir 10-46 )? Also, do different strings feel slinkier? And can adjusting the neck relief help?
More wierd things... even though I use 10s, bending strings is a nightmare, but I saw people wrapping strings over the stopbar... the only problem is that bending became even harder... getting the stopbar lower makes bending easier but I cant get it low enough to feel good or strings touch the tom and are gonna break
have you flipped the bridge so your saddles put the contact point at he very back of the bridge?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Need more info.

What does "nightmare" mean exactly? Difficult to bend? Fret-out issues? Goes out of tune? My SG has a tuneomatic with stop tail piece and bending 10s is pretty easy. Even easier if you tune down 1/2 step.
Yes I flipped the bridge saddles so they have more range. By nightmare I mean its just hard and painful. Stays in tune perfectly thanks to locking tuners and graphtech nut. I dont understand why, butgetting the stopbar as low as possible makes bends a bit easier. Switching to 09s is not an option, they feel way too loose, I barely feel the amount of tension for precise bends.
Quote by ArturPr
Yes I flipped the bridge saddles so they have more range. By nightmare I mean its just hard and painful. Stays in tune perfectly thanks to locking tuners and graphtech nut. I dont understand why, butgetting the stopbar as low as possible makes bends a bit easier. Switching to 09s is not an option, they feel way too loose, I barely feel the amount of tension for precise bends.

Hmmm, not that much difference between 9s and 10s to me and I bend a lot. 12s do start to hurt a bit though.

This no longer sounds like a setup issue. Pick a string gauge you like and run with it.
This is the problem: 10s are too stiff, and 09s are like rubber. MAYBE its because my strings are elixirs?
Quote by ArturPr
This is the problem: 10s are too stiff, and 09s are like rubber. MAYBE its because my strings are elixirs?

try 9.5's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd just man up and get used to the 10's.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
This is a technique issue, not a setup issue. Suggesting that you are just too manly for 9s but too pussified for 10s is nonsense.

I have guitars currently set up with 8s, 9s, 10s, 11s, and 12s including Ernie Ball, Elixir, and D Addario. Accurate string bends do take a moment to get used to the string tension of each guitar but after about 5-10 minutes a player can reasonably manage both 1/2 and whole step bends reliably along with several different methods of vibrato. I tune the 12s down 1/2 step and rarely bend more than 1/2 but it can be done if needed. It will just hurt some.

Practice, not setup my friend. Learn to bend all strings and all gauges accurately on every guitar.
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 1, 2016,
Well, I can bend them accurately on both my guitars, and I bend ALOT, play for ~3 hours a day and just can`t get used to the pain coming from this SG. And yes, it is a setup issue, I gave this guitar to 2 guitarists and they both said its unbelievably stiff for 10s
Quote by ArturPr
Well, I can bend them accurately on both my guitars, and I bend ALOT, play for ~3 hours a day and just can`t get used to the pain coming from this SG. And yes, it is a setup issue, I gave this guitar to 2 guitarists and they both said its unbelievably stiff for 10s

Must be a very different animal than most SGs. They are usually the string bend kings (including my own 67) compared with my Tele with a longer scale and 11s that requires some muscle.
Its a special 2014. Compared the specs to a standard, the neck angle, bridge, nut width are the same. It`s even same to the standard les pauls.
Have you tried any different brands of strings, or just Elixir's? You might want to try a different brand
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am about to try some others because someone said that elixirs are stiffer. Might be true because they are plain steel, not nickel plated.