Page 1 of 2
Hello and please try to forgive this annoying question : )

I have a bad back and want to do more home recording and some casual garage jamming with friends.
I'm looking for a really light electric guitar that sounds good for under $600 ish -new or used.
The thing is where I live now (Montreal, Canada) it's hard to find good used guitars
that can be seen and tested locally. (my real guitar playing friend would help with that part : )
So I'm open to any relevant suggestions but new will likely be more realistic for me.

Thanks in advance!
Buy a stool. If you're sitting down, weight isn't critical.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

A good idea and thanks for weighing in!
The stool helps but I have to switch between sitting and standing for recording or jamming because of the back.
So I'd still like to go with one of the lighter guitars.
I realize that normally a guitarist would never pick a guitar based on weight : )
But I don't mind if it can bring me some comfort.
Quote by third_address

hehe

If you want good responses, it'd be worth telling us which genres you play, but off the top of my head the obvious choice would be a Thinline Telecaster, since they were created for the sole purpose of weight relief and some model or other can be found in most price ranges.

They can be had either in traditional SS or with Humbuckers, too, though I believe the buckers are a bit awkward to replace if you don't like them as the dimensions are slightly different to the modern standard.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 1, 2016,
Quote by third_address
The stool helps but I have to switch between sitting and standing for recording or jamming because of the back.
So I'd still like to go with one of the lighter guitars.
I realize that normally a guitarist would never pick a guitar based on weight : )
But I don't mind if it can bring me some comfort.

What are you playing now and what would you consider "lighter"?

Also, since you're playing electric, weight isn't really a consideration in regard to tone (unless you're a corksniffer with such magical ears that can discern the tonal nuances between reclaimed and newly-harvested tonewood... )

The thinline tele mentioned above is a good suggestion, but let us know where you're at now so we can help you get where you want to be.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have yet to see an SG or SG copy that weighs very much. They tend to be light.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Arby911
What are you playing now and what would you consider "lighter"?

Great question here.

IIRC, Reverend makes most of their guitars in korina, which is a light wood. I'd guess most of those guitars are fairly light.

An SG would be fairly light also, as mentioned.
Yeah, Reverends are made of Korina, but many of them are (nicely contoured) slabs. Don't know that any are particularly light.

If I had to guess, I'd bet something like the Club King- a small-bodied semihollow- would be among the lighter axes they make.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by third_address
Hello and please try to forgive this annoying question : )

I have a bad back and want to do more home recording and some casual garage jamming with friends.
I'm looking for a really light electric guitar that sounds good for under $600 ish -new or used.
The thing is where I live now (Montreal, Canada) it's hard to find good used guitars
that can be seen and tested locally. (my real guitar playing friend would help with that part : )
So I'm open to any relevant suggestions but new will likely be more realistic for me.

Thanks in advance!

The lightest guitar you'll find is a Satriani Model Ibanez without a tremolo. They are hollow and shaped like a small strat - You could find one used for about that price.

Otherwise, If you want to spend a lot more money, get a Musicman Silhouette Special - they're incredibly light as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

+1 to a Thinline Tele. You can find some recent production ones used for decent prices. A few of the new ones can be found around that budget but may need a bit of detail work. Also a lot of the Thinlines come with Fender's new Wide-Range-Humbuckers so you have to like that sound. I do.
Hard to find one of the lighter Parkers for $600ish.

You could try an EVH Wolfgang, the guitarist from KsE has always had back problems and he recently switched to one from a Parker Fly because it is lightweight.

SG's are also pretty light, so would any semi hollow/full hollow body.
Woods you want to stay away from would be Maple and Mahogany. (other than the SG's since they are super thin pieces). Ash, Alder and Korina tend to be lighter.

Stay away from Les Pauls.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
PRS SE semi-hollow would be a good one to look at. I like the Thinline tele suggestion also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
You could try an EVH Wolfgang, the guitarist from KsE has always had back problems and he recently switched to one from a Parker Fly because it is lightweight.

SG's are also pretty light, so would any semi hollow/full hollow body.
Woods you want to stay away from would be Maple and Mahogany. (other than the SG's since they are super thin pieces). Ash, Alder and Korina tend to be lighter.

Stay away from Les Pauls.

Well, I wouldn't call a 335 a light guitar. I played one recently that weighed as much as my Les Paul Classic did.
I have a Vietnamese (not Chinese!!!!) made Peavey Raptor Plus Exp that only weighs about 5 1/4 lb all up. I'm weight-conscious, and it is my favourite electric guitar. It cost Oz$65 in the local hock shop. I'm an obsessive modder, but the only thing I have had to do to it is set it up. A great guitar if you can find one.
The little cricket bat Steinbergers are the lightest I've played. They are an awesome guitar too, well, the old carbon fibre/graphite ones were anyway. I haven't tried the newer wooden ones.
No idea what they sell for now over there though.

Or, you could build a cigar box guitar. Now THAT'S light.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911

Sitting is one of the worst positions for having a bad back. Generally standing and laying down are the best positions, so I can see why he would want a lightweight guitar. I would say that any modestly sized guitar, like a strat shape made of aldar or basswood would probably yield the best results. I actually came across this (see the link below) and it seems like it might be up your alley depending on what style of music, but the body is made of jabon, which is supposed to be lightweight and similar to basswood, and the body style is small, which would make it generally lighter than a traditional strat shaped guitar. Plus with the price, you'll have some money left over for hardware or pickup upgrades if you want them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man/AX4-Sub-Series-Flame-Grain-Image-Electric-Guitar.gc#productDetail
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Grawgos
Plenty of Parkers on reverb under 600. The PDF80 is extremely light and under 6 bills used.

I know- I have several of them bookmarked. But they're not the lighter ones- they're made mostly standard materials, a.k.a. woods like mahogany or ash. That puts them in the same weight category as Strats, etc.

As for the PDF80 itself (weighing about 5lbs) I have seen people ask Parker owners about them...and get redirected to other models.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 1, 2016,
Parkers are light (mostly).

If you can find a Carvin Holdsworth Headless, it'll be around 5.1 - 5.6 lbs. The new Vader Headless are a bit more (6 lbs), but in both cases you get a full 25.5" scale and great build quality. Finding one within your budget might be difficult. You might have to import the sucker.

The Vader at 6 lbs on the nose:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/v6

The Holdsworth Headless is 5.1 lbs.

WEIGH an SG before you buy it. Don't assume it's lighweight. I've seen SGs at 7 lbs, and I've seen Epi 400 series at 8 lbs 10 ounces.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 2, 2016,
Not sure what you define as light but I certainly notice the difference when I put down the strat and pick up my S series Ibanez.

The Ibanez is solid body but smaller and much lighter.
Thinline Telecasters are just all around awesome. I think you'd have a hard time finding a solid body that light, too. I wouldn't rule out a standard Strat, though. They aren't the lightest option, but they are so ergonomic that you can easily find a comfortable playing position. My back isn't that bad yet (I'm 6'5", so I'll probably get there), but to me it's all about being able to sit or stand how you want while you're playing the guitar. So for that, I think a Strat or an SG would be perfect.
I would check out the mij ibanez s series first.

Then the Parker flys.

SG's are light, but make sure that the one you get isn't neck heavy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 1, 2016,
Quote by Stickymongoose
Thinline Telecasters are just all around awesome. I think you'd have a hard time finding a solid body that light, too. I wouldn't rule out a standard Strat, though.

A bit of a search shows:

Strat ~8 Lbs
Tele ~7.5 Lbs
S series ~6.5 Lbs

.....must be true as it's on the internet ;-)

As mentioned before, I really notice the difference between the strat and the ibby.
There is a brand that makes fiberglass guitars that look decent. Switch or something like that. I played one years ago.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
There is a brand that makes fiberglass guitars that look decent. Switch or something like that. I played one years ago.

Airline did for a while, and the revived brand may still do so.

Here's a refurbed Airline.
https://reverb.com/item/337217-airline-resoglass-3-4-scale-black-refin-1960-s?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAoby1BRDA-fPXtITt3f0BEiQAPCkqQTTSBiz9my3rVa7WDU9PesGguDb_OzVX3vBk3gU_zxgaAoPE8P8HAQ

Here's a Marino fiberglass "Strat"
https://reverb.com/item/365530-marino-fiberglass-strat-2008-black?_aid=pla¤cy=USD&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAoby1BRDA-fPXtITt3f0BEiQAPCkqQYIoGDiuWxJLN8X0MqJ4JpvOX8klWPExCFl-me_26V4aAnRr8P8HAQ

There are also Res-O-Glas kits.
http://www.guitarkitsusa.com/16.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 1, 2016,
Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice.
Keep them coming.
The Thinline is appealing so I will keep my eyes open for used ones in my area.
And a couple others speak to me too.
Quote by SpiderM
A bit of a search shows:

Strat ~8 Lbs
Tele ~7.5 Lbs
S series ~6.5 Lbs

.....must be true as it's on the internet ;-)

As mentioned before, I really notice the difference between the strat and the ibby.

Specifically the Thinline Telecaster, that's the entire point; Thinlines can come in comfortably south of 6lb
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
There is quite a bit of variation with any of those guitars, though. I've seen Thinlines that weighed less than 6, or well over 7. With a Strat there'd probably be an even wider range, since there's more wood there.
Quote by Stickymongoose
There is quite a bit of variation with any of those guitars, though. I've seen Thinlines that weighed less than 6, or well over 7. With a Strat there'd probably be an even wider range, since there's more wood there.

Yeah, if you want a really light guitar made out of wood you really have to find it in person. Broadly speaking, though, guitars with less material are the ones to look at if you want a lighter instrument.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Jackson X-Series made of basswood are light and comfortable and in your price range. And of course out of those, shapes that have less wood are the lighter ones: Rhoads, King V.
There's a luthier I have bought from in the past who makes a 25.5", 24 fret thinline semihollows- of wood- that is somewhere under 5lbs. I want to have one made with Alumitones, which should knock it down under 4lbs. That's high-end Parker Fly territory.

But I need to save up for an amp right now,

For weight I was thinking under 6 lbs.
I'm not into glitzy, shiny, hard rock style guitars.
As for genres, I'm mainly into Cooke-style soul, Dylan-style folk, Willie-style country, and Bob-style reggae.
What an odd mix : )
---------------------------------
Forgot to mention the guy at the guitar shop recommended the following to me today:
Gibson/Epiphone SG
DBZ (Imperial, Cavallo, Royale)
Danelectro
Thinline Tele
Last edited by third_address at Feb 4, 2016,
Quote by dspellman

If you can find a Carvin Holdsworth Headless, it'll be around 5.1 - 5.6 lbs. The new Vader Headless are a bit more (6 lbs), but in both cases you get a full 25.5" scale and great build quality. Finding one within your budget might be difficult. You might have to import the sucker.

The Vader at 6 lbs on the nose:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/v6

The Holdsworth Headless is 5.1 lbs.

Very nice. What it needs is a Steinberger trem.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by third_address
For weight I was thinking under 6 lbs.
I'm not into glitzy, shiny, hard rock style guitars.

Handy information which would have been helpful earlier, anything else?
Page 1 of 2