What is that thing the rhythm player is using in his pick hand? Looks like he busted a string or something, but you can see at the beginning of the video that he's holding it in his hand.

Speculation in the comment section includes the comment that it's some sort of electric pick which is hooked to an amp, which sounds pretty crazy.

Old timers...what is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95V1XJZ2xYE
Lav mic, pretty common in that era. You'll see it in Jerry's rendition of "Wabash Cannonball" as well. I've seen it done a couple of time.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Lav mic, pretty common in that era. You'll see it in Jerry's rendition of "Wabash Cannonball" as well. I've seen it done a couple of time.

You mean that IS an electrified pick/microphone? Weirdish, for sure. The rhythm player did have a funny look on his face when handling it...wonder if it was a novelty for him?

Thanks Arby.
Last edited by TobusRex at Feb 1, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
You mean that IS an electrified pick/microphone? Weirdish, for sure. The rhythm player did have a funny look on his face when handling it...wonder if it was a novelty for him?

Thanks Arby.

Not a pick, just a lav mic, probably either clipped to his cuff or more likely threaded through his fingers so it sits in his palm when he's strumming.

I'd have wanted the cord around my elbow instead of flapping around...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Not a pick, just a lav mic, probably either clipped to his cuff or more likely threaded through his fingers so it sits in his palm when he's strumming.

I'd have wanted the cord around my elbow instead of flapping around...

Oh. That makes a lot more sense then.

How old are you anyway? Ever used a lava mic?
it's "Lavalier" mic. people on talk shows love'em. commonly called a "clip-on mic" these days probably because "Lavailer" sounds too ~continental~ on the tongue, and too difficult to pronounce when drunk.

lava is molten rock that erupts from within the earth every now and then. it's use as a microphone could be somewhat problematic.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 1, 2016,
Quote by ad_works

lava is molten rock that erupts from within the earth every now and then. it's use as a microphone could be somewhat problematic.

OH shut up!
Quote by TobusRex
Oh. That makes a lot more sense then.

How old are you anyway? Ever used a lava mic?

Not that old (51), but I grew up in Outer-Redneckistan, and we had both kinds of music, country AND western...

So I saw a shitload of country bands in crappy little bars that made Bob's Country Bunker from The Blues Brothers look like fine dining. Acoustics are a bitch to mic up in that kind of place, which is why I suspect this type of thing was done.

I've used them extensively for voice, but never for guitar.
Charles Darwin
Joined the "51" club last week. Can't say I'm too happy about it either, lol.
Quote by ad_works
it's "Lavalier" mic. people on talk shows love'em. commonly called a "clip-on mic" these days probably because "Lavailer" sounds too ~continental~ on the tongue, and too difficult to pronounce when drunk....[ ]....
Perhaps that's why the French are notorious for either miss pronouncing what's on paper, or simply ignoring it.

I've been stuck for decades trying to figure out if that should be pronounced, "laval-ear", or "laval-yay". The same thing with "cavalier" Cah-val-yay", maybe....

Then there's, "faux pas", which is pronounced, "foe pah". Loosely translated, i think it means, "you're not my dad".......or not
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 1, 2016,
You know what they say: "you can only use lava as an instrument once..." and they are hardly ever off with their quotes

(Where am I getting that from? A random quote generator I looked up on Google lol)
Now that we've got all of you into one place, maybe we can finally ship you off to homes
My God, it's full of stars!
some homes aren't that bad actually. structured living, low responsibility, food service, gambling tours of Vegas, and someone around to clean up the sheets...
Quote by CherokeShredder
As someone from Vegas, I do have to say to be careful going over to there

not to get too OT, but i've heard that the touristy areas are getting kinda bad. but we have some family friends who just scored a pretty nice looking house in Henderson for a portion of what would comp here in southern ca.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 3, 2016,
I live IN Henderson It's one of the safer parts of Nevada, and was ranked one of the top 10 (or 100, can't remember) places to stay and live in the nation. That has to tell folks something: Sin City is.freakin.bipolar strange. Either no crime or too much of it at a time