Hey guys,

Could you give me a few recommendations of some Power Metal bands I should check out? I'd love to hear more concept albums, world building, epicness, etc.

I'm totally new to the specific sub-genre (big fan of prog metal), and would like a little bit of guidance on where to start.

Thanks!
If you're into world building, you could definitely look into Rhapsody of Fire. All of their albums tell stories set in the same universe, created by the band, and the stories and concepts span multiple records. They're super sappy and cheesy, but if you're in the mood they do make some great music.

My personal favorite would be Blind Guardian though. Lots of concept albums, the most famous one probably being "Nightfall in Middle Earth", the concept of which should be pretty clear from the title. They're the polar opposite of Rhapsody musically though, they play in a lot heavier style without "opera" vocals and orchestral instruments.

Also, look into the metal recommendation thread, stickied at the top of this subforum. It will probably answer most of your questions.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
First page of the Rec thread is the place to go buddy. It has a Power Metal section with starting points, essentials, and further listening. Should be more than enough for you to decide what you like and what you don't, and then you can ask for more or root around yourself based on that.

Though, if your looking for concept albums; Nightfall in Middle Earth, as already mentioned is the absolute way to go. One of my all-time favorite albums for sure. Always come back to it.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Kamelot, Epica, Rhapsody of Fire, Blind Guardian... this lot in the thread currently has mad amounts of respect from me

To add onto that, Iced Earth, (some) Children of Bodom, PelleK, Helloween, Stratovarius, Edguy, Hammerfall, Sabaton, Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Helloween... I think I could keep going and going. It's one of my all-time favorite genres simply because it is amazing to me how much skill they can have even with rhythm guitar.

-Sharky
If you want power metal concept albums, then you'll probably like these:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys I & II
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth, Night at the Opera
Heavenly - Dust to Dust
Gary Hughes - Once and Future King I & II
Soulspell - All their albums
Avantasia - The Metal Opera I & II
Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time
Aina - Days of Rising Doom
Nikola Kotzev - Nostradamus
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by Kytokinesis
If you want power metal concept albums, then you'll probably like these:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys I & II
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth, Night at the Opera
Heavenly - Dust to Dust
Gary Hughes - Once and Future King I & II
Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time

This guy
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Savage Grace - Master of Disguise
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Recently I've received much joy from:
Primal Fear - Delivering the Black / Black Sun (the latter is sci-fi themed)
Sabaton - Art of War
Kamelot - Haven / Black Halo
Hammerfall - No Sacrifice, No Victory
Teräsbetoni - Vaadimme metallia
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003