For various reasons I've decided to downsize my amp collection so I've been on the lookout for something versatile in terms of tone and in terms of volume. A small footprint would be useful for transport as well.

After a bit of research I came across the Victory V30 The Countess which seems to tick all the boxes and sounds great to boot. It's offered as stock with a choice of 6L6s or EL34s. The thing is, all the demos available online that I can find all have the amp fitted with 6L6s. Don't get me wrong, the amp still sounds fantastic and it's definitely a tone I can use, but I'd like to hear it with EL34s so I can make an informed decision before throwing down £829 plus a smaller cab.

Does anyone here have any experience with these amps or know of any demo videos where they use EL34s?
EL34's have a better midrange. 6L6's have a bigger bottom end. E34L's tend to bridge the gap by providing 6L6 like bass without losing the midrange.
However unless you are pushing the power amp hard, it's hard to tell the difference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by I K0nijn I
You can always swap them out and see for yourself as well.

Sometimes you can, sometimes not. I would look into that first if you are planning to swap.

I trust Cathbard, but I am not sure that there is that big of difference in the el34l's and the other el34's. But I havent a/b'd them.

OP what tone are you chasing?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You can swap without a problem I'd say. (Some of) Their other amps offer the same feature.

From their website:
Valves: 4 x 12AX7, 2 x 6L6
Extra features: Power valves switchable to EL34, single-ended mode, effects loop, skeletonised metal case with rubber handle, padded carry bag included
Quote by I K0nijn I
You can swap without a problem I'd say. (Some of) Their other amps offer the same feature.

From their website:
Valves: 4 x 12AX7, 2 x 6L6
Extra features: Power valves switchable to EL34, single-ended mode, effects loop, skeletonised metal case with rubber handle, padded carry bag included

i didn't look. it still holds true that you can't just to it to any amp. i was more responding in general. .

OP- i would just get it one way and buy a pair of the other tubes. it would probably be less than $40 for a pair of either 6L6's or EL34's [depending on prices in your area and tube choice].

OP- what tone are you chasing?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I'm looking for something with a bit of upper-mid bite when you push the gain. That would make me think EL34. I'm not sure how much of a difference valve choice will make in this particular amp though and I do like the sound of the thing with 6L6s in.

As K0nijn pointed out, this amp does have a quick bias switch on the rear panel so you can switch relatively easily between the two valve types. I suppose I could buy it with one type and pick up a pair of the other valves to try it for myself.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i didn't look. it still holds true that you can't just to it to any amp. i was more responding in general.

Yeah, I get that. :P Just confirming for this particular case.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Yeah, I get that. :P Just confirming for this particular case.

No worries
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Snake_42
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I'm looking for something with a bit of upper-mid bite when you push the gain. That would make me think EL34. I'm not sure how much of a difference valve choice will make in this particular amp though and I do like the sound of the thing with 6L6s in.

As K0nijn pointed out, this amp does have a quick bias switch on the rear panel so you can switch relatively easily between the two valve types. I suppose I could buy it with one type and pick up a pair of the other valves to try it for myself.

It sounds like you need to try both. Get it with EL34's and buy some 6L6's. Problem solved.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have a Carvin TS-100 power amp (50W/50W or 100W bridged, mono). You can actually run EL34s in one side and 6L6s in the other (this precludes bridging, obviously) and compare the two. Up to *extremely* loud, there's virtually no difference between the two. There are *slight* differences if you've pushed both sides into an extreme distortion condition.

Notice that this is the power amp side of things only, and is probably the best way to compare what the two kinds of tubes are actually doing, as opposed to listening to them on amps with preamp sections that can differ (even if they're the same amp) based on a lot of factors.
I agree. There are a couple of amps that are available with dedicated EL34 or 6L6 power amps (Bogner Shiva, for example, and a couple of Fuchs amps), and there are audible differences between those models, but it seems that they're mostly because of the different transformers and power supply used to tailor the amp to those tubes.

Amps that allow you to swap between 2+ types of power tubes (Plenty of Mesa type amps) tend to sound pretty darn similar with different types. It's not that the difference doesn't exist, or isn't audible, but in most cases (not all!) and especially with modern amps that are designed around squeaky clean power sections, it's not much of a factor.