I'm toying with the idea of building my own Strat. I've been looking at various bodies and necks, and noticed that Warmoth just about builds to order.

How's their quality?
Just an FYI, some replacement necks don't have the final fret work done.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've been mostly (not entirely) very impressed by the Warmoth parts I've used/seen/played. On the whole they do excellent work.

The frets are not finished when you get the neck. Depending on what finish you get, you'll need to actually scrape the lacquer off the frets. They hammer the frets in and then spray the neck. I would plan on having the frets leveled, crowned, and polished. It is possible to simply bolt the neck to a body and play it like that, but that's a bit like eating raw bread dough. Needs a bit more work to fulfill its potential.

If you're good at setting up guitars (and I do mean good, not just "I can intonate a strat" but if you understand how to shim a neck, slot a nut, adjust a truss rod and a bridge that are majorly out of whack, etc.) you can probably get a bucket of Warmoth parts playing quite nicely, after some fret work. The quality of the instrument you end up with is going to depend an awful lot on the competence of the person(s) doing the assembly and setup work.
Thanks for the replies. I'll consider Warmoth for a body, but they're pricey for a neck. Nearly $500 with ebony and frets. If their frets need to be finished, I might as well take a neck I have and have a luthier do new frets.

I've been taking my guitars apart and setting them up enough that I'm comfortable doing the job.
Quote by Monkeyleg
Thanks for the replies. I'll consider Warmoth for a body, but they're pricey for a neck. Nearly $500 with ebony and frets. If their frets need to be finished, I might as well take a neck I have and have a luthier do new frets.

I've been taking my guitars apart and setting them up enough that I'm comfortable doing the job.

What exactly are you looking for? What is your maximum budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
was gonna ask about the same thing. i was planning on building the delonge strat, and im fairly scared about setting it up on my own. say i bring it to the guitar centre, you think they could do it for me?
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
Quote by Strobber
was gonna ask about the same thing. i was planning on building the delonge strat, and im fairly scared about setting it up on my own. say i bring it to the guitar centre, you think they could do it for me?

guitar center would be the worst place to take it. i have not heard one good thing about GC's techs.

find a luthier or a good friend.

its totally doable if you are patient and follow directions.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
if you are looking for something basic, stew-mac has some reasonably priced bodies and necks. however i haven't had any experience with them either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I want to build a copy of SRV's "Charley" guitar. I don't know why, since I'm not a big fan of white guitars. Just something I have an itch to do.

It would be easy enough to find a good used neck if it didn't require ebony for the fretboard. It's hard to find a vintage neck with ebony. An alder body routed for a hardtail bridge is only $200+ from Warmoth. With a two-pot pickguard it's just a few bucks more.

I want to find some original Danelectro lipstick pickups, too.
I only have one Warmoth part, a Pro birdseye/birdseye neck that is very good. I've rarely seen anything negative written about Warmoth parts except the need for fret dressing (mine didn't), so I would certainly chance it. If I wanted a custom guitar, it would be a Warmoth bitsa, and I wouldn't expect it to be particularly cheap or have good resale value.
wouldn't expect it to be particularly cheap or have good resale value.

I'm not concerned about resale value. This would just be a fun project. If I can get it to sound good, that would be great.
I've been using their stuff since the early 90's and I've never had anything but good to say about their gear. Don't consider the resale value because there isn't any (yet plenty of fools on eBay who think differently). If you're patient, keep tabs on their website for close out necks and you may get what you want. On the flip side, I've found their customer service to be very lame in recent years (I just bought a body recently). They were super nice back in the day and used to open their factory up on occasion for "garage sales". Since they're only a few towns away from me, I would go. Now, they're a bit detached and it feels like dealing with the cable company. Good Luck!!
I play a warmoth neck on an american strat, I had to take out all the frets and sand down the fingerboard till it became straight, it had a rising toward the end of the neck so it choked the strings. Don't know if this is a common problem
Maybe I'll just take the rosewood fret boarded MIM Strat neck I have, and have a very good luthier put on an ebony board and new frets.
You're probably right. I'd just like to keep the cost down. But a fret job would be $200+ and who knows how much for a new fret board. That's about the price of a new Warmoth neck.

Damn.
Why is ebony so important? Tone or aesthetics? If it is aesthetics, you can dye rosewood to be dark like ebony.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I did some reading on dying rosewood to look like ebony, and the results sounded terrible. Maybe somebody else here has had better experience.

My total costs including body, neck, hardware and paint come to about $1300. That's a lot for a fake Fender. If I could find used parts, it would be more palatable. Hard to find used hardtail Strat parts, though, especially with ebony.
Carvin do customisable guitar kits as well so they may be worth a look.
Mighty Mite makes a rather nice ebony board strat neck, and they're cheap.
Color your fretboard with a black sharpie, let it sit for an hour, and the rub it off.
Last edited by peteygonzo at Feb 4, 2016,
Mighty Mite is good quality?

A sharpie won't do it. Ebony stain will.

So, I can use the neck I have, get a new body with new electronics and hardware, get it painted, sell the existing body with electronics and hardware, and the whole project should cost me about $500. Not bad.
Last edited by Monkeyleg at Feb 5, 2016,