Just bought a jackson performer PS4 and restrung it, the g-string keeps going out of tunes after some use. But if I keep playing it goes back in tune then back out, drives me wild.

How to fix this?
Quote by Bowkore
Is it just a licensed floyd....

Which is low quality. Is the trem set up correctly?
Do you have any experience setting up a Floyd?

From the pictures I can find the trem looks to be a Jackson JT580LP which isn't that bad in itself. I have one and it stays in tune fine ONCE I got the setup correct and lubed the knife edges.

It's used so maybe the previous owner destroyed it.

Did you stretch the strings fully before you locked the nut? And you did lock the nut right?

Pictures of the bridge and nut would be helpful here.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
From the pictures I can find the trem looks to be a Jackson JT580LP which isn't that bad in itself. I have one and it stays in tune fine ONCE I got the setup correct and lubed the knife edges.

It's used so maybe the previous owner destroyed it.

Did you stretch the strings fully before you locked the nut? And you did lock the nut right?

Pictures of the bridge and nut would be helpful here

From the pics that I found it looks like it could be a JT580 Takeuchi OFR style trem either way I have found both the JT580 and JT580LP to be stable systems. I recently replaced the JT580 on my 1993 Jackson King V professional with an OFR not due to any issues but I just wanted to upgrade, I had never experienced any tuning stability issues out of the trem even though when I took it off it did show signs of wear (dull spots) on the knife edge.

I have however experienced lock nut issues with the nuts on 2 of the 3 JT580LPs that I have where the nuts allowed a string to slip even when properly tightened. It is important to put the locking nut clamps back in their original position, for example if you put the clamp for the E/A on the E/B strings sometimes the wound strings can wear the clamps an thus allow the smaller strings to slip.

If you take the clamps/blocks off you should be able to recognize markings make by the wound strings, if they are placed in the wrong position then just put them back into place, also turning the clamps 90 degrees can also help if they become worn (a trick I learned from my local tech).
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The fact that you said it goes out of tune then back in tune says sticking knife edge to me.
I meant to stay it is a licensed floyd rose. Ill try the locking nut idea, if not may need to lube the knife edges
Swapped over the locking nuts (which were new as im changing to chrome hardware) and thats fixed the problem. The g will go slightly out then back to tune again but nowhere near as bad as before, which I can get away with.
I have a tuning problem on my DK2S (It's got a JT580LP i think), except it's the low E-string. I'm going to America on holiday in September/October, so i'm going to pick up an Original Floyd Rose while i'm there, considering they're almost half price over there. Seems to be the only fix.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
I have a tuning problem on my DK2S (It's got a JT580LP i think), except it's the low E-string. I'm going to America on holiday in September/October, so i'm going to pick up an Original Floyd Rose while i'm there, considering they're almost half price over there. Seems to be the only fix.

FYI when I swapped the JT580 OFR copy for an OFR on my 93' King V I did not change the lock nut because the Floyd lock nut sat higher than the Jackson nut, raising the string height significantly. I didn't want to do any modification to the head stock. You may or may not have this issue but the when I compared the Floyd Rose nut on my DKMG and DXMG which both have the JT580LP it was the same story.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I don't see knife edges causing just a single string to go out of tune. All of the strings would be out of tune based on the knife edges acting as the pivot point for the baseplate where the tension is balanced between the tension of the strings and the springs. That's just how the trem works - all strings raise or lower in pitch together.

When mine was sticking all of the strings would stay flat after a bomb. Reworking the balance and getting the baseplate level and lubing the knife edges did wonders.

Again, some pictures would help.

Also, when you say just the G is out of tune do you mean that the other 5 strings are in tune still (which makes no sense) or that when you retune the G then all of the strings go back in tune which does make sense.

And are we talking about open string tuning or fretted notes tuning?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Strings won't retune themselves after they lose tune, that's just physics, also as others have mentioned in a locking system you shouldn't have a single string affected (with the exception of string stretching). These things lead me to believe it's an intonation issue.

Intonation would explain why it would appear to fluctuate between in and out of tune - assuming the change is noticed when playing different chords or places on the neck, it would also explain why only one string appears to be affected. Take it to a shop and get a setup done on it, see if that fixes the problem.
Quote by guitarsngear
also as others have mentioned in a locking system you shouldn't have a single string affected (with the exception of string stretching).

Even a string stretching would affect the others as it is less tension in one string causing the springs to pull the others slightly sharp.