hi guys! i've been thinking about customizing my PRS ce 22, by painting on it with acrylic paint. I don't want to sand-off the original Finnish, non of that. just add painting on the body of the guitar as it is. think of kevin parker's (tame impala) Rickenbacker:

http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resources/images/content/2015-08/FEAT/Tame-Impala/DSC_2004_DSC_1977_Photo-by-Rich-Osweiler_WEB.jpg

i was wondering:
will there be an option to take the acrylic off? usually when i paint with acrylic and get some paint on the table, i can easily get the acrylic off since it's only sticking to the lacquer that is on the wooden table. since the electric guitar has a layer of lacquer on it, it should be the same deal, right?
PRS does not use Lacquer, it is a Poly based paint.

You might be able to remove the paint, but how the factory paint will fair

what about getting a custom sticker or decal?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS does not use Lacquer, it is a Poly based paint.

You might be able to remove the paint, but how the factory paint will fair

what about getting a custom sticker or decal?

stickers are no go, i want the acrylic textures. and i don't really understand your second sentence?
the paint you put on the guitar might come off, but how it reacts with the factory paint I have no clue. Or if it will even come off without ruining the factory finish.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
oh i see. so we're still in the dark about that part. no way it'll ruin the guitar itself right? like damage the wood or anything?
Quote by AoutoCooper
oh i see. so we're still in the dark about that part. no way it'll ruin the guitar itself right? like damage the wood or anything?

No it will not damage the wood, the finish might get damaged though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
where can i find more information on whether or not i'll damage the finish? and can a damaged finish get repaired?
Quote by AoutoCooper
where can i find more information on whether or not i'll damage the finish? and can a damaged finish get repaired?

You could talk to the people who MAKE the paints. Paint manufacturers are very forthcoming about what works with what. Do the research.

Here's a suggestion: Plasti-Dip the guitar. Paint it whatever color you like with Plasti-Dip (google it; they're doing Lamborghinis in this stuff) with enough coats to protect the original paint, and then put acrylic on top of that. Do a bit of trial and error to see how the combination works over another paint job. I'm thinking that you'll be able to paint the acrylics on top of the Plasti-Dip and then peel the whole mess off, leaving the original paint intact.

In this case, one car is Plasti-Dipped, the other is vinyl wrapped (more on that, below):

I'd actually suggest doing the acrylic painting OFF the guitar somewhere, photographing it with enough sidelight to make the texture show, and then printing it on a piece of transit vinyl and then doing a wrap with it (they're doing Lamborghinis with this stuff, too) through someone like axewrap.com or axewraps.com. This gives you the opportunity to see if you even LIKE the look, and it allows you to change the guitar or peel it back to the original paint with no damage.

While you may THINK that dawbing on some acrylic is artistic now, you may want to sell the guitar some day and get paid only the value of the piece of trash you've created.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 2, 2016,
wait wait wait... that plasti-dip sounds like it could work. so you're saying that it's like a protective coating that i could put on the guitar, and peel off?
Quote by AoutoCooper
wait wait wait... that plasti-dip sounds like it could work. so you're saying that it's like a protective coating that i could put on the guitar, and peel off?

Do the flippin' research! YES.