I have a Kramer mutt, for as long as I can remember, when I pluck the open treble E, it gets a terrible harmonic overtone.

When I fret it anywhere, its fine.

Now I know that a likely suspicion is that the string is too close to the first fret, but I am convinced that is not the case. There is a good amount of space between the string and the first fret.

Its got an OFR, could it be a nut lock problem?

Its very annoying because its my best guitar, all American.

I have other guitars with the action set equal if not lower, and no problems there. I just don't get what the problem could be. Maybe the string is too close to the first fret, but I don't think that is the case because its not that close.

Anyone got ideas?

Thanks for any help!
Quote by Marko5150
2 weeks ago, and the strings only have about 6 hours on em

Is it the first time that it happens?

If yes, could just be a bad string, it happens...

Have you checked the pickup height as well?

You could also take out the nut clamp of the high E and check if everything is fine with the nut and if the string is sitting on it properly.
Last edited by DanyFS at Feb 2, 2016,
That's a good idea, troubleshoot the nut. The pickup isn't close to the string.

Also its worth mentioning it occurs when unplugged so its not a electronic issue of any sort.

I'll take a close look at the nut and how the string is sitting in it.

I suppose their could be a little defect in the slot.
Last edited by Marko5150 at Feb 2, 2016,
Quote by Marko5150
That's a good idea, troubleshoot the nut. The pickup isn't close to the string.

Also its worth mentioning it occurs when unplugged so its not a electronic issue of any sort.

I'll take a close look at the nut and how the string is sitting in it.

I suppose their could be a little defect in the slot.

Yeah, locking nuts are also a bit easier to troubleshoot as well. Easier to see what's going on.

If everything appears fine with the nut and it's the first time you have this problem, try changing the string. The problem can be on the string itself, you never know.