It's been a while since I've purchased a new pedal. But after some Christmas gift cards and trading in my Vypyr 30, I was able to score this somewhat pricey work of art:

Earthquaker Devices Afterneath Reverb

I am into spacey, atmospheric sounds. I always have been, as a guitar player. I've been through dozens of pedals over the years, and have definitely tried some weird ones. The thing about "weird" is that it usually becomes a novelty, and after the honeymoon period I always end up deciding the effect is too obviously an "effect" to be used in any real songwriting or composing. Well, this one can be subtle enough and natural enough to have some real applications in the atmospheric black metal that I write and record.

I have been researching reverb pedals with the "shimmer" effect for some time. My conclusion on those is that unless it's a $400+ Strymon or Eventide unit -- it sounds like cheese after while. After looking at the Afterneath, I decided that it could probably get a "shimmery" sound that is unique, yet can be dialed back enough for real use.

Boy, was I right. This thing is amazing! Rather than a traditional reverb, it acts more like a delay pedal which unleashes a swarm of delays that cascade away. It sounds quite natural/not digital/fake/whathaveyou. I mean, it sounds natural without actually being a natural reverb at all. I know I contradict myself. There are many, many sounds you can get out of it, ranging from subtle to self-oscillating madness. First time I played it I had the "reflect" knob set too high and the wash of delays kept building and building until it was wall of crazy sounds. The "length" (decay) knob must be used in moderation as well. It can trail-off for way longer than you'd ever need if you turn it up too high.

Overall I'm 110% stoked on this thing. I'm not sure I'd get one if it were my only reverb pedal though. It doesn't really do much of a "normal," even long decay natural reverb. But when I use it in conjunction with my TC Hall of Fame or Flashback Delay it gets ridiculous -- in a good way. I've now got ambiance for days, weeks, or years if need be. If you're looking for something different, but cool and non-cheesy -- the Afterneath may be it.

Next up -- New Tube Day!!! (Not pictured...it looks like a preamp tube.)

I just picked up a JJ 12DW7, after reading about DW7s on a thread here some time ago. Anyway, what a 12DW7 offers is a separate gain factor on each side. One side has a gain factor of 100 ( like a 12AX7), and the other has a gain factor of 20 (like a 12AU7).

When placed in V2 of my 6505+ 112 head, it sends the high gain side to the lead channel, and the low gain side to the rhythm channel. What this accomplishes is warmer, better cleans on the rhythm channel, while preserving the high-gain of the lead channel. It is quite a dramatic improvement to the cleans, actually. Even with high-output pickups such as my Black Winters and Blackouts, with the guitar volume all the way up, I can still pick pretty hard without it breaking up. With my ambient pedals it sounds glorious! And another great benefit is that it didn't hurt the "crunch" mode either. I can run the gain fairly high and still get a great thrash/Marshally tone.

It does seem, however that the lead channel dropped in gain slightly. With the same settings I had with a 12AX7, the lead tone didn't have quite that same amount of "grind." But after turning the gain up a bit, it seems to be pretty much the same ballsy/grindy aggression I had before. It could be the tube just needs to burn-in a bit as well.

Anyway -- if you own a 6505/5150/+/II/any variant -- give a 12DW7 a try in V2. It REALLY helps your cleans, without sacrificing any brootz.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I've liked what I heard from the EQD unit from demos...

But I am more curious about that 12DW7, though. Sounds like a really useful tool to use. Would the low/hi gain sides universally affect respective clean/dirty shared positions? As in, couldn't the clean channel in the amp be oriented so that it is affected by the 100% side of the tube, and vice versa for the dirty channel? You cannot turn a 12AX7 180 degrees...
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 2, 2016,
No. Channel 1 goes through V2a and channel 2 through V2b. With a 12DW7, a is 12AU7 (gain of 10) and b is 12AX7 (gain of 100).
That's all there is to it. And why would you want the 12AU7 in the high gain side of the amp anyway?

HNPD.

edit: BTW. British Mullard 12DW7 for $34
http://tctubes.com/Mullard-12DW7-7247-tube.aspx
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 3, 2016,
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?