I got a MH-50 in a HH setup for pickups.

A while back, my local guitar tech lowered them saying that if I dived too much with my guitar's Floyd Rose, the strings may hit the bridge pickup. So he lowered it.

Thing is now, I'm kind of scared to try to dive (because the strings keep popping/slipping out). So I want to raise my pickup.

Only thing I don't know about is: How will pickup height affect sound/tone/etc.?
You want the pickups as close as possible without them pulling on the strings and killing sustain. After that you use the height to balance the output between the neck and bridge pickup. Everything after that is purely preference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by RockGitara
Pickups set too high also mess with your intonation

Do you have anything to base that off? I don't see how pickup height could possibly affect intonation.
Quote by I K0nijn
I don't see how pickup height could possibly affect intonation.

That's because they don't. Higher pickups increase the output level, lower pickups decrease it. Obviously this alters the tone of the guitar, but it's all preference. I have mine low on my les paul, but higher on my other guitar. The intonation guy is only correct in the extreme circumstance that the pickups are ao close to the strings and so powerful that they provide a significant pull downward on the strings. I suggest looking up the manufacturer's specs, adjusting to that, using your ears to balance the pickup (make sure there is even volume between neck and bridge), and then adjust them in tandem to what you like ( and what doesn't interfere with your Floyd, of course)
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
Quote by Parac
I got a MH-50 in a HH setup for pickups.

A while back, my local guitar tech lowered them saying that if I dived too much with my guitar's Floyd Rose, the strings may hit the bridge pickup. So he lowered it.

Thing is now, I'm kind of scared to try to dive (because the strings keep popping/slipping out). So I want to raise my pickup.

He meant pulling up? Cause if you dive, the strings get floppier and the action actually raises a bit. So they get farther from the pickups.

Edit: Ok, if they are REALLY floppy, they could hit the pickup while vibrating, but seriously, that never happened to me nor I've heard of it before.

If the strings are popping out of the saddles, check if they are properly sitting in there and also check if the inserts blocks are worn down. Worn insert blocks are usually the culprit.
Last edited by DanyFS at Feb 3, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
He meant pulling up? Cause if you dive, the strings get floppier and the action actually raises a bit. So they get farther from the pickups.

Edit: Ok, if they are REALLY floppy, they could hit the pickup while vibrating, but seriously, that never happened to me nor I've heard of it before.

If the strings are popping out of the saddles, check if they are properly sitting in there and also check if the inserts blocks are worn down. Worn insert blocks are usually the culprit.

Sorry, I dunno the actual term for when diving or pulling.

The blocks are in perfect condition, oddly enough the 2nd C string in cgCfad pops out more than the other strings. The guitar tech and I tried to do a bunch of dives and pulls, the 2nd C popped out first, then after it popped out, place it back in, screwed tight, a few more dives/pulls, the other C pops, after that it's kind of random as to which one pops. But the C pops more than the others.

Also, the tech gave me some new strings (my old ones are D'addario 11s, the new ones are Elixer 11s) The tensions are a bit different, some strings are more, others are less. But overall, it balances out (sort of). I'm not sure whether to change them or not. I have all the tools handy, but I dunno whether changing the string set will help.

Also, I remember somewhere people were comparing D'Addario and Elixers, do brands really make a difference?
Quote by Parac
Sorry, I dunno the actual term for when diving or pulling.

The blocks are in perfect condition, oddly enough the 2nd C string in cgCfad pops out more than the other strings. The guitar tech and I tried to do a bunch of dives and pulls, the 2nd C popped out first, then after it popped out, place it back in, screwed tight, a few more dives/pulls, the other C pops, after that it's kind of random as to which one pops. But the C pops more than the others.

Also, the tech gave me some new strings (my old ones are D'addario 11s, the new ones are Elixer 11s) The tensions are a bit different, some strings are more, others are less. But overall, it balances out (sort of). I'm not sure whether to change them or not. I have all the tools handy, but I dunno whether changing the string set will help.

Also, I remember somewhere people were comparing D'Addario and Elixers, do brands really make a difference?

No need to be sorry man! Usually, when people say "dive", they mean pressing the whammy bar down, making the pitch go lower. Pull up is exactly that. You pull the whammy bar towards you and the strings go up in pitch.

Are you sure the Floyd Rose is in parallel with the body?

Yes, string brands do matter. There are some differences between each brand, even if they are the same gauge.

Since you put Elixirs instead of the usual Daddarios, the tension will be different, even though they are the same gauge. You'll have to balance out the bridge by adjusting the springs on the back. Intonation may have to be reset as well.

Elixirs have a coating that makes the strings last longer. Personally, I'm not a fan of them. I don't like their feel and sound (one of the biggest differences between string brands, they will all feel different and sound different).

My favorite strings are regular Daddarios, I use either 9s or 10s (mostly 9s) on my Floyd, but I tune to Eb.
Pickup heights are 2 screws. Turn them and see if you like the results. If you don't like it turn them back the other way.

Count revolutions if you're that paranoid so you can get it back to exactly how you have them now.

Don't be afraid!!! Do it man!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Parac, nevermind the bollocks, here's the esp manual for your guitar. pay attention to pages 7 & 8.. pickup height adjustment.

esp guitar manual

most modern guitar mfg's put out manuals for their stuff. most ship the manual with the guitar. big box retailers like GC throw the manuals out so a lot of buyers don't even know they exist and for some reason don't make it to the companies website.

anyway, lot's of stuff in these booklets. go through it and understand the thing you're playing and wear the pants. factory spec. is a good place to start.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 3, 2016,
Quote by jwmcdaniel97
That's because they don't. Higher pickups increase the output level, lower pickups decrease it. Obviously this alters the tone of the guitar, but it's all preference. I have mine low on my les paul, but higher on my other guitar. The intonation guy is only correct in the extreme circumstance that the pickups are ao close to the strings and so powerful that they provide a significant pull downward on the strings. I suggest looking up the manufacturer's specs, adjusting to that, using your ears to balance the pickup (make sure there is even volume between neck and bridge), and then adjust them in tandem to what you like ( and what doesn't interfere with your Floyd, of course)

HBs do not affect the intonation but Single Coils do! It's a welll documented issue with Stratocasters. The reason is the magnetic field on a SC PU is much larger than on a HB PU. The field on a SC goes up from the polepieces and around the entire PU to opposite end of the pole pieces on the bottom of the PU. It can greatly affect the string vibration and purity of the note. ON an HB PU the magnetic field leaves the top of the poles on one coil only to re-enter the poles on the adjacent coil top because their magnetic fields are opposite (humbucking). This results in a lower and smaller field.
Attachments:
LAC_Sensor_Diagram.jpg
Moving on.....
Pickup magnetism affecting sustain is a myth. Don't worry about pickup height affecting sustain.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Pickup magnetism affecting sustain is a myth. Don't worry about pickup height affecting sustain.

Unless they are high enough to grab the string when you dive....that definitely kills sustain
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

I guess you don't understand magnetism. Maybe you should do more reading.
Moving on.....
Quote by SpiderM
Unless they are high enough to grab the string when you dive....that definitely kills sustain

Yeah that will will do it lol.
Quote by KenG
I guess you don't understand magnetism. Maybe you should do more reading.

I think you overestimate the power of pickup magnets and their effects on strings, maybe you should be less of a condescending arse and save yourself looking like an idiot when you get proven wrong.
https://youtu.be/qzal-vP7TfQ
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Last edited by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma at Feb 4, 2016,
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Yeah that will will do it lol.

I think you overestimate the power of pickup magnets and their effects on strings, maybe you should be less of a condescending arse and save yourself looking like an idiot when you get proven wrong.
https://youtu.be/qzal-vP7TfQ

You think some unknown on You-Tube knows better than the many professionals who have stated there is an effect on string vibration from the stronger magnetic fields in Single Coil PUS? Really? I'd pit the likes of Dan Erlewine, Lace Sensor designers, most PU manufacturers and various published professionals over some guy that did an IPhone video. You probably also buy the videos from the guy that says his $300 Chibsons are great guitars!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 4, 2016,
Quote by KenG
You think some unknown on You-Tube knows better than the many professionals who have stated there is an effect on string vibration from the stronger magnetic fields in Single Coil PUS? Really? I'd pit the likes of Dan Erlewine, Lace Sensor designers, most PU manufacturers and various published professionals over some guy that did an IPhone video. You probably also buy the videos from the guy that says his $300 Chibsons are great guitars!

Did you even watch the video? He put a magnet many, many times stronger than anything you will find in any pickup, humbucker or single coil and it had little to no effect on sustain.

The guy builds guitars for a living and he just proved it right in front of your eyes. But hey, keep using the straw man logical fallacy and shutting your eyes, sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting to yourself that you are right.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Having the pickups to close to the strings won't affect intonation per say, however it can create false overtones. Another result of having the pups to close depending on your personal taste can add to much drive, so if your trying to do a lot of clean channel chordal stuff it can take away clarity in the sound.
I watched Will's video and it seems pretty solid to me. That huge magnet did nothing to kill the sustain and you will never encounter a pull like that huge magnet he uses which must be 100 times more powerful than any pickup.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I'm not quite sold on that video, I think it isn't the magnetic field alone that is supposed to kill sustain, but the fact that the coils are "stealing" energy from the strings to generate an electric signal...in my opinion he should have tried to lower or raise the pickups, possibly switching the pickup magnets to alter significantly the output

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Quote by billyTheShears
I'm not quite sold on that video, I think it isn't the magnetic field alone that is supposed to kill sustain, but the fact that the coils are "stealing" energy from the strings to generate an electric signal...in my opinion he should have tried to lower or raise the pickups, possibly switching the pickup magnets to alter significantly the output

Pickups don't steal energy to create an electrical signal, the vibrations create a flux in the magnetic field which then creates an electrical signal.

If energy is being lost from anywhere it will be the magnetism.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Quote by billyTheShears

I'm not sold on that video at all. It was about as scientific as a grade school project and if someone did something like that as some sort of experiment in our Engineering Firm he'd lose credibility. He didn't say how the magnet was polarized (end to end or flat sides). Opposing magnetic fields join and similarly polarized field repel. He also didn't amplify the signal so we could hear it. One of the things that is of concern (as I stated earlier) is strong magnetic fields alter the way a string vibrates, it has has caused notes to have strange overtones which I'm pretty sure if that wannabe scientist had amplified the sounds we'd have heard. Then again he wasn't addressing that at all in his "demo".

In another one of his Youtube Vids he talks about notes like they are a single frequency and uses some math based on that for another one his claims. There a fellow in Germany that makes guitars that actually used an FFT and it pretty plainly shows the harmonic frequencies that accompany the note.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 5, 2016,
Quote by KenG
I'm not sold on that video at all. It was about as scientific as a grade school project and if someone did something like that as some sort of experiment in our Engineering Firm he'd lose credibility. He didn't say how the magnet was polarized (end to end or flat sides). Opposing magnetic fields join and similarly polarized field repel. He also didn't amplify the signal so we could hear it. One of the things that is of concern (as I stated earlier) is strong magnetic fields alter the way a string vibrates, it has has caused notes to have strange overtones which I'm pretty sure if that wannabe scientist had amplified the sounds we'd have heard. Then again he wasn't addressing that at all in his "demo".

In another one of his Youtube Vids he talks about notes like they are a single frequency and uses some math based on that for another one his claims. There a fellow in Germany that makes guitars that actually used an FFT and it pretty plainly shows the harmonic frequencies that accompany the note.

None of that shit has anything to do with the magnetism effecting sustain, which is what we were talking about, stop moving the goal posts. (Another logical fallacy, you sure love those).
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
None of that shit has anything to do with the magnetism effecting sustain, which is what we were talking about, stop moving the goal posts. (Another logical fallacy, you sure love those).

Actually I've never deviated from my original statement

Quote by KenG
HBs do not affect the intonation but Single Coils do! It's a welll documented issue with Stratocasters. The reason is the magnetic field on a SC PU is much larger than on a HB PU. The field on a SC goes up from the polepieces and around the entire PU to opposite end of the pole pieces on the bottom of the PU. It can greatly affect the string vibration and purity of the note. ON an HB PU the magnetic field leaves the top of the poles on one coil only to re-enter the poles on the adjacent coil top because their magnetic fields are opposite (humbucking). This results in a lower and smaller field.

Quote by KenG

You're the one who read into my statement(s) it was purely about sustain and you stubbornly kept missing my point.
That fellow in the video has a guitar company (which I've certainly never heard of...) and he seems to think he knows better than people who have been in the business for years. His approach is hardly scientific, but an amateurish attempt at science, much like his supposed Physics abilities. His statement that notes only NEED to be one second long tells me he doesn't actually play guitar himself.
On top of all this electro-magnetic fields can greatly influence strings thats how the EBow and Fernandes Sustainer work.
Moving on.....
Quote by DanyFS
No need to be sorry man! Usually, when people say "dive", they mean pressing the whammy bar down, making the pitch go lower. Pull up is exactly that. You pull the whammy bar towards you and the strings go up in pitch.

Are you sure the Floyd Rose is in parallel with the body?

Yes, string brands do matter. There are some differences between each brand, even if they are the same gauge.

Since you put Elixirs instead of the usual Daddarios, the tension will be different, even though they are the same gauge. You'll have to balance out the bridge by adjusting the springs on the back. Intonation may have to be reset as well.

Elixirs have a coating that makes the strings last longer. Personally, I'm not a fan of them. I don't like their feel and sound (one of the biggest differences between string brands, they will all feel different and sound different).

My favorite strings are regular Daddarios, I use either 9s or 10s (mostly 9s) on my Floyd, but I tune to Eb.

Thanks - what are your thoughts on Ernie Ball - Super Slinky?
Quote by Andrew Plumer
Thanks - what are your thoughts on Ernie Ball - Super Slinky?

My sweaty hands burned them in less than a week

Tried another set because I thought they were defective or something like that, but the same thing happened. Went back to Daddarios after that.

Other than that, they sounded and felt as good as Daddarios.
Last edited by DanyFS at Feb 6, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
My sweaty hands burned them in less than a week

Tried another set because I thought they were defective or something like that, but the same thing happened. Went back to Daddarios after that.

Other than that, they sounded and felt as good as Daddarios.

I thought I was the only one with sweaty hands haha

What should I do when my hands get sweaty during playing?
(usually I untangle myself from the wire mess from my guitar cable, and headphones, and go wash my hands in cold water. Unfortunately, my hands get sweaty again)
Quote by Parac
I thought I was the only one with sweaty hands haha

What should I do when my hands get sweaty during playing?
(usually I untangle myself from the wire mess from my guitar cable, and headphones, and go wash my hands in cold water. Unfortunately, my hands get sweaty again)

There's really nothing you can do to make your hands stop sweating. To make your strings last longer you should wipe them down after playing, especially if your hands sweat a lot.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
There's really nothing you can do to make your hands stop sweating. To make your strings last longer you should wipe them down after playing, especially if your hands sweat a lot.

^^ This. Some people just sweat more and their sweat can gunk up strings pretty fast.
Moving on.....