The current amp I have is the Marshall TSL601 I am looking to upgrade to a Mesa Boogie Recto Verb 25

I'm coming down in alot of features but wonder if the Mesa Boogie sound and quality will make up for that.

I am a meh guitarist but I play mostly
-Punk Rock
-Melal
-Rock

I like the Marshall I just believe more of the sound I love more predominantly comes from Mesa Boogies. Which one's the better amp? They both seem highly rated.

Marshall

3 independent channels each with volume and gain controls
Independent EQ on the Clean channel
Shared EQ on the Crunch/Lead channels
60W Svetlana EL34 power section
Individual reverb levels for Clean and Overdrive channels - on/off footswitchable.
Footswitchable Accutronics spring reverb with dual controls (one for Clean, one for Crunch/Lead)
Footswitchable parallel effects loop with level selection and front panel Mix control
Speaker emulation for direct recording, connection to an external amp or to a PA system
XLR DI output
Deep switch adding low-end resonance
Tone Shift facility on the Crunch/Lead channel for instant tonal reshaping
Ruggedly built, 5-way LED footcontroller
New Celestion Wolverine 12" speaker
Take a walk on the tone side . . . order your TSL 601 today!
SPECIFICATIONS

TSL601 Combo

22-1/2"W x 19"H x 10-1/2"D (570 x 480 x 266mm)
65.04 lbs. (29.5kg)

https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/jcm2000-tsl-series/jcm2000-tsl601/

Mesa
This Versatile Combo Packs Sweet-sounding Spring Reverb
Awesome tube tone is yours with the Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five guitar combo amp. Two independent channels give you incredible sonic flexibility. Thanks to Mesa/Boogie's patented Multi-Watt Channel Assignable Power Amp, you can switch between 25-watt and 10-watt operation for each channel. Use the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five's 10-watt mode for lush, liquid tone and smooth feel, and the 25-watt setting for incredible power, punch, and clarity. And with a sweet sounding, tube-driven spring reverb onboard, iconic tone is one strum away with the Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five.

Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five Tube Combo Amplifier at a Glance:
Dyna-Watt technology gives you tonal versatility with 10-watt or 25-watt operation
Built-in spring reverb for classic electric guitar tones
Built in the USA to rock hard - and reliably
Dyna-Watt technology gives you tonal versatility with 10-watt or 25-watt operation
With the Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five set to 10-watt operation, you get the cranked-tube-amp sound at lower volume levels. It feels pleasantly liquid yet responsive with lush harmonics. In 25-watt mode, the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five packs all the punch, power, and clarity you'd expect from a modern Mesa/Boogie amp. And thanks to Mesa/Boogie's patented Multi-Watt Channel Assignable Power Amp, you can set each channel to whatever wattage you prefer.

There's an incredibly sweet tube-driven spring reverb in the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five, and that's not even the best part. Each channel has its own reverb level, so you're not restricted to the same reverb setting for both channels.

Mesa/Boogie has been hand-building some of the most sought after guitar gear in Petaluma, California since the late '60s. Early fans of Mesa/Boogie gear include Carlos Santana and Keith Richards, guitarists whose tones have been chased by countless musicians for years. When you plug into the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five, you're tapping into decades of innovation. Especially if you're a regularly gigging musician, you'll appreciate the top-notch sound and construction you get in the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five.

Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five Tube Combo Amplifier Features:
All-tube guitar combo amp with switchable 25-watt or 10-watt operation
2 independent channels, each with their own tone controls, wattage switch, and reverb amount
1 x 12" Fillmore 75 speaker
Tube-driven spring reverb for classic amp tones
1-button footswitch for channel switching is included
Handmade in the USA

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/rectifier-series/recto-verb-twenty-five/index.html
Neither is better or worse. If you prefer the sound of the Mesa, get it, if you like the Marshall better, keep that. There really isn't anymore to it than that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It probably depends on location as well (EU and US, mainly), but I'd always put Mesa higher than Marshall in regards to build quality and reliability. Add that to my preference of Mesa for sound and that the other guitar player in one of my bands had a TSL with loads of problems and I'd get the Mesa any day of the week.
Quote by I K0nijn I
It probably depends on location as well (EU and US, mainly), but I'd always put Mesa higher than Marshall in regards to build quality and reliability. Add that to my preference of Mesa for sound and that the other guitar player in one of my bands had a TSL with loads of problems and I'd get the Mesa any day of the week.

I've had the TSL for 10 years...very limited use but I can't buy into the unreliability thing not my one...
Quote by Kevin Saale
Neither is better or worse. If you prefer the sound of the Mesa, get it, if you like the Marshall better, keep that. There really isn't anymore to it than that.

I know in my heart that is right, but I still want a more in depth understanding
I really like JCM2000's but not the TSL. It was Marshall trying to be Mesa and failing to acheive it. The Mesa is the real thing. Sure it's a baby one, but still, it is a better amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
I've had the TSL for 10 years...very limited use but I can't buy into the unreliability thing not my one...

Could've been a lemon for sure (his has seen quite some stages over the last 5-10 years, though), but it turned me off the amp pretty quickly. I think he could've bought a second one from the money he spent on repairs on that amp (and I'm not talking routine maintenance).

I have to agree with Cathbard as well that it's not as good an amp as the DSL is, for instance.
Yeah I'll echo if it was a DSL, I'd keep it. But it is a TSL which are OK, but I'd rather have the mesa. But look for an older 50watt recto-verb combo unless you just want the 25watt version
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You're like stepping to the side in terms of quality. Both are good amps. I like the Marshall better, but this is a matter of preference
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
I would seriously prefer the Mesa. It's more about preference than anything else. Mesa just has this certain sound. Some people find it kinda annoying. I love it.
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
The current amp I have is the Marshall TSL601 I am looking to upgrade to a Mesa Boogie Recto Verb 25

I'm coming down in alot of features but wonder if the Mesa Boogie sound and quality will make up for that.

I am a meh guitarist but I play mostly
-Punk Rock
-Melal
-Rock

I like the Marshall I just believe more of the sound I love more predominantly comes from Mesa Boogies. Which one's the better amp? They both seem highly rated.

Marshall

3 independent channels each with volume and gain controls
Independent EQ on the Clean channel
Shared EQ on the Crunch/Lead channels
60W Svetlana EL34 power section
Individual reverb levels for Clean and Overdrive channels - on/off footswitchable.
Footswitchable Accutronics spring reverb with dual controls (one for Clean, one for Crunch/Lead)
Footswitchable parallel effects loop with level selection and front panel Mix control
Speaker emulation for direct recording, connection to an external amp or to a PA system
XLR DI output
Deep switch adding low-end resonance
Tone Shift facility on the Crunch/Lead channel for instant tonal reshaping
Ruggedly built, 5-way LED footcontroller
New Celestion Wolverine 12" speaker
Take a walk on the tone side . . . order your TSL 601 today!
SPECIFICATIONS

TSL601 Combo

22-1/2"W x 19"H x 10-1/2"D (570 x 480 x 266mm)
65.04 lbs. (29.5kg)

https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/jcm2000-tsl-series/jcm2000-tsl601/

Mesa
This Versatile Combo Packs Sweet-sounding Spring Reverb
Awesome tube tone is yours with the Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five guitar combo amp. Two independent channels give you incredible sonic flexibility. Thanks to Mesa/Boogie's patented Multi-Watt Channel Assignable Power Amp, you can switch between 25-watt and 10-watt operation for each channel. Use the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five's 10-watt mode for lush, liquid tone and smooth feel, and the 25-watt setting for incredible power, punch, and clarity. And with a sweet sounding, tube-driven spring reverb onboard, iconic tone is one strum away with the Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five.

Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five Tube Combo Amplifier at a Glance:
With the Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five set to 10-watt operation, you get the cranked-tube-amp sound at lower volume levels. It feels pleasantly liquid yet responsive with lush harmonics. In 25-watt mode, the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five packs all the punch, power, and clarity you'd expect from a modern Mesa/Boogie amp. And thanks to Mesa/Boogie's patented Multi-Watt Channel Assignable Power Amp, you can set each channel to whatever wattage you prefer.

There's an incredibly sweet tube-driven spring reverb in the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five, and that's not even the best part. Each channel has its own reverb level, so you're not restricted to the same reverb setting for both channels.

Mesa/Boogie has been hand-building some of the most sought after guitar gear in Petaluma, California since the late '60s. Early fans of Mesa/Boogie gear include Carlos Santana and Keith Richards, guitarists whose tones have been chased by countless musicians for years. When you plug into the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five, you're tapping into decades of innovation. Especially if you're a regularly gigging musician, you'll appreciate the top-notch sound and construction you get in the Recto-Verb Twenty-Five.

Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb Twenty-Five Tube Combo Amplifier Features:
All-tube guitar combo amp with switchable 25-watt or 10-watt operation
2 independent channels, each with their own tone controls, wattage switch, and reverb amount
1 x 12" Fillmore 75 speaker
Tube-driven spring reverb for classic amp tones
1-button footswitch for channel switching is included
Handmade in the USA

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/rectifier-series/recto-verb-twenty-five/index.html

You can't go wrong with a Mesa - they sound great. The reverb is exceptional on their amps, better than Fenders now.

I would suggest you compare the amp with your Marshall to see it provides a better result.
As others have said it is somewhat apples to oranges. I am not a fan of the TSL, you can find those used for around 5-600 USD. However the Mesa is a bit more at the moment due to being fairly new (newer). They will have different tones and sound so it depends on what you are looking for. Why not save up and buy a Mesa? Then you will have both.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I have a MESA Dual Rec Roadster 2 X 12 combo, 4 channels and reverb (excellent reverb I might add) Celestian V30s, it is a very versatile amp (though it weighs nearly 100 lbs.) My friend has a Marshall TSL and it doesn't compare IMO or his opinion for that matter.

It really is a matter of preference, personally I prefer MESA!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I'll echo if it was a DSL, I'd keep it. But it is a TSL which are OK, but I'd rather have the mesa. But look for an older 50watt recto-verb combo unless you just want the 25watt version

Thanks for the comments everyone. I don't think I ever will gig but 25 watts is enough for my bedroom I am sure.

In the event I did gig I could just hook the rectoverb up to a PA?

(I am trying to sell the Marshall now and possibly waiting for tax time)
Quote by bobafettacheese
As others have said it is somewhat apples to oranges. I am not a fan of the TSL, you can find those used for around 5-600 USD. However the Mesa is a bit more at the moment due to being fairly new (newer). They will have different tones and sound so it depends on what you are looking for. Why not save up and buy a Mesa? Then you will have both.

Things are more expensive in Aus but I have been shopping the amp for quite sometime and struggling to get anyone above $800

The rectoverb is $2500 here...everything is more due to shipping,imports etc but I need to make up some $ is basically the start and end of it.
Yeah 25watts is pretty damn loud, I was suggesting the 50watter because you can find it used even cheaper than the new 25watt version.

Yes you can use the cab clone as a line out if you ever needed it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1

Both a 25 and 50 watt version would be gig worthy just like both play equally as well for bedroom use. Watts don't play that much of difference there. Think of watts as more about clean headroom, attack, feel, things like that but 25 to 50 won't make any discernible difference. But yeah, you would probably use a PA anyway if you were to gig.

If this was strictly down to a TSL and a Rectoverb it would be no contest for me. I've played a TSL-60 combo but never owned one. I've also played lots of other Marshalls. I love Marshall. The TSL is an OK amp. It is not a 'HOLY SHIT' that's a kick ass amp. The Rectoverb is. I got my Rectoverb head for $490 used. Raw, Vintage and Modern plus a great clean channel. Mostly usable gain.

Oh, and probably built better than the TSL. Mesa's are all rock solid - even the cheap'ish ones.

Look at my Rectoverb gutshot:

Obviously you can get more bang for your buck if you go used. Obviously there are other options out there so don't limit yourself.
The best buy in Australia ATM is the remaining Randall RM100 at Belfield Music in Sydney. They have a NOS one with three preamp cards for just a $1050. If you were going to spend $2500 you could spend the extra money on upgrading the modules and have Fender cleans, Marshall crunch and Recto lead - or any variation that takes your fancy.
The RM100 sounds great at bedroom levels but will also drown out the drummer if you turn it up.

http://www.belfieldmusic.com.au/randall-mts-series-rm100-guitar-amp.html

And modules from here
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
or
http://salvationaudio.com/index.php?page=modifications
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What would the longevity of this amp be like...being Mesa I am guessing good but tbh it's a long term investment...I'll always play guitar...just not that much I play very infrequently and if you're thinking 'oh why you getting a good amp' the answer is because I want one, and want to spend my money on something

I'd be hoping it could last 10 years as a bedroom amp, unless I join a band at 32 and start practicing...both unlikely doubt it will see too much outdoor action. I've never got any kind of maintenance on the Marshall, I guess it just never got played enough to even be close to needing a service.
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
What would the longevity of this amp be like...being Mesa I am guessing good but tbh it's a long term investment...I'll always play guitar...just not that much I play very infrequently and if you're thinking 'oh why you getting a good amp' the answer is because I want one, and want to spend my money on something

I'd be hoping it could last 10 years as a bedroom amp, unless I join a band at 32 and start practicing...both unlikely doubt it will see too much outdoor action. I've never got any kind of maintenance on the Marshall, I guess it just never got played enough to even be close to needing a service.

Both those amps should last basically forever. Tubes will wear out and need replacement, the electrolytic caps will eventually wear out and need replacing (I know 30 yrs is the normal for older stuff, might be longer or shorter for new stuff, but still we're talking about decades). A resistor might blow or a potentiometer might go bad, but those can be replaced. The thing with a high build quality tube amp (which I'd consider either to be, although arguably Mesa is probably better) is things might break, but its usually not to difficult to figure out what it is that broke and usually not terribly expensive to fix that thing. Either of those amps are something that could potentially last a lifetime, or longer, with the proper care.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
TSL's are atrocious. lol. i played one several years ago at a fellow guitarist's house (his was a combo) and it was terrible. i think i would have preferred a DR JCM900 (slightly different reasons though)

as far as mesa goes, mine treat me well. i have a tremoverb and a MKIV, they are pretty much bulletproof (although my MKIV needs new power tubes, but thats not its fault). sound great, very flexible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/