I was just wondering about some of the pros and cons about playing with some heavier strings. i recently bought som Pyramid Gold Medium/Heavy Flatwound strings and i was wondering if they are gonna work well on my Ibanez Artcore AMF73 Semi-Hollow.
Would be great to get some answers, Cheers!
Might cause the guitar to explode!!!

Seriously though, gauge is about preference and feel. I think I have heard that SRV used to play with 13s in standard tuning.

Playing with 12s might cause you to need a set up and truss adjustment depending on what gauge are currently on the guitar.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Given that Ibanez advertise this as a tough guitar there is no reason why you can't use 12's on it. It may need some slight set-up adjustment if it has light strings on at the moment. It's actually quite common to use heavier strings on semis anyway.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Seriously though, gauge is about preference and feel. I think I have heard that SRV used to play with 13s in standard tuning.

Half step down, for what it's worth, but still somewhat tighter than 12s in standard.

Quote by bobafettacheese
Playing with 12s might cause you to need a set up and truss adjustment depending on what gauge are currently on the guitar.

Yup, and that should be all; on a properly built guitar no playable string gauge is going to do any damage whatsoever.

As far as pros and cons go, obviously fretting and bending are that much more effort, though you'll get used to it. I've used 12s exclusively for most of the past year and I'd say it precludes using legato all the time but I can play as well as I'd be able to on 10s if I'd never tried anything else. The big advantages I find are that you can pick and strum harder without having to worry about fret buzz or the strings shifting out of tune on heavy downstrokes, and it helps with left hand muting because you don't accidentally fret notes when you're trying to damp them. Ultimately it's all preference though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 3, 2016,