Page 1 of 4
suppose you're a medium and you say you can communicate with the dead. you obviously can't but some people believe you. you charge them money to talk to their dead relatives but really you're lying to them.

q: is this ethical?
bonus q: suppose you always say nice things about the dead that make your customers happy upon leaving. is this ethical?
It's not ethical but people are stupid for falling for that imo

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
It's not an ethical act, even if the result could be considered positive. If they didn't charge money, it would be different.
q: is this ethical?

Of course not.
bonus q: suppose you always say nice things about the dead that make your customers happy upon leaving. is this ethical?

No. You're still exploiting people's insecurities to make money.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
q: No
Bonus q: No

Bonus fact: There are some mediums who live down my road. They've been on TV and are a bunch of weirdos.
I have nothing important to say
Palm reading and that kind of thing are silly party games meant for fun, but bilking people isn't cool.
Quote by Rossenrot
Sure. People should be free to spend their money on what they want.

interesting
It's bullshit, but I know a women who went to one after her son died and it really helped with her grief. I obviously wouldn't go to one, but it's her money and it made her happy, so I don't really see the harm.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
it's as ethical as you make it. You can push negative ethics to hilarious degrees, despite how much some would wish they couldn't. Generally speaking, I'd say it's minor emotional/intellectual exploitation at worst, crude entertainment at best.

Incidentally, I have some magic beans for sale.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Feb 3, 2016,
It is ethical because people are ready and willing to pay to have you lie to their face. You're also a fraud so don't go around claiming any sort of authority beyond collecting pay checks from morons.
Quote by seanlang01
It is ethical because people are ready and willing to pay to have you lie to their face. You're also a fraud so don't go around claiming any sort of authority beyond collecting pay checks from morons.

Is it ethical to be a fraud?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by seanlang01
You're also a fraud so don't go around claiming any sort of authority beyond collecting pay checks from morons.

ean's not even punk confirmed
i guess when you think about it, it's actually about ethics in palm-reading.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I went to a psychic once and it was like $25 wasted.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
i wish i could talk to dead people.

that'd be cool.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Is it ethical to be a fraud?

Maybe, probably in this instance because you are not actively defrauding people, since you are not claiming to be something that even exists. The customers already believe in what you're offering or don't care and are going for a laugh. I suppose personally you could believe that purposefully lying to make money is wrong. But, the people buying these services may be convinced it's real. The people offering it may believe they are actually psychic. I personally wouldn't do it, but I don't think you're evil if you did.

Better question, is it ethical for chiropractors or acupuncturists and any other "alternative" medicine types to charge for their services?
Just because the customer believes it's real doesn't mean it isnt fraudulent.

If it's only a bit of fun, then that's fair game. But if they're parading that what they're doing is serious, then assessing the legitimacy of the practice becomes a responsibility of the medium. Real talk nobody is going to take the claim that they didn't know it was impossible to communicate with the dead seriously in a modern society where free information is everywhere. That doesn't make them evil, but come on. man.
Better question, is it ethical for chiropractors or acupuncturists and any other "alternative" medicine types to charge for their services?

Chiropractors actually do have some medical basis. Suffering from a severely pinched nerve in your back ain't no joke, and chiropractors can and do fix that sort of thing.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 3, 2016,
snake oil
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by seanlang01 at #33812236

those can both be pretty effective depending on what's wrong with you though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by seanlang01
is it ethical for chiropractors or acupuncturists and any other "alternative" medicine types to charge for their services?

this is also a good question yeah
Quote by WCPhils
those can both be pretty effective depending on what's wrong with you though

No they can't.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just because the customer believes it's real doesn't mean it isnt fraudulent.
I dunno, I mean criminally they aren't. They didn't really provide a "service" in a concrete sense, because they can't, but their customers may not see it that way.

I'll be honest I really haven't thought about this much. Interesting topic though.
Its very unethical but perhaps they're speaking to the wrong dead people

There this show in NZ that "questions" heaps of mediums on unsolved murder cases to help solve the mysteries, I think in the episode posted below they "questioned" something like 200+ mediums and wittled it down to 2 people who were able to correctly describe certain events of the crime that were known only to police.

So yeah, probably a lot of phoney jabroni's out there. There was one episode where one of the medium leads the camera crew to a forest and starts digging a huge pit to try and find the bones but no cigar. Was kinda funny to watch that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKwF_1IlBn4
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Feb 4, 2016,
It is unethical in both cases.

A few mediums actually convince themselves they are actually getting "messages" from beyond the grave. They think their intuition, imagination, or whatever is actually dead people putting the thoughts in their heads.

If they believe it themselves and their customers believe it too is it still unethical? I would say no, but they're both still morons.

Is charging people $50 for a tub o moisturizer that costs 50c and making deliberately misleading claims about it's effectiveness ethical?

Is signing a sole distribution rights in a small company to control the imports of a certain brand of goods in that country and then jacking the prices up by 50% ethical? That customer can't even import it from overseas because no other suppliers are allowed to ship to that country.

Is apple ethical? In some countries it costs up to 50% more to download a song from iTunes even though it costs apple no more to sell the song to a customer in that country than in another country where they sell it at a significantly lower price. Apple deliberately make older products obsolete so that you have to buy newer ones, and make things more and more proprietary so that you have to buy apple products if you want full compatibility.

Informercials offer a "Risk Free Trial for only $19.95". How is that a "Risk Free" trial when you are clearly risking $19.95??

In some ways I prefer the mediums, at least it's entertaining...but I have never given them any money...I do have some apple products though, so who's the dope now
Si
I guess I'm in the minority?

Like God, I don't think there's any way to prove such a thing is real, but there's phonies out there for sure, so it's naturally gonna get a bad rep.

I think what's most important here is their happiness. If they want to put their faith in someone to provide them with a peaceful conclusion, let them.

If they're well aware their lying, they probably shouldn't be making a living off of it, but even if it's an act of selfishness, they are doing some good, I guess.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 4, 2016,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
I guess I'm in the minority?

Yes, stop being childish.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
I think what's most important here is their happiness. If they want to put their faith in someone to provide them with a peaceful conclusion, let them.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/psychic_defective_sylvia_brownes_history_of_failure/

Terrence Farrell. Browne told a woman that Farrell, a firefighter involved in 9/11, was alive. She was wrong. His body was found in the rubble one month later.

Weyman Robbins. May 7, 2003, on Montel. On Robbins’s murder Browne said, “This was other kids. They were playing this stupid game.” She further claimed, “There were two or three other kids that did it,” but “I don’t think the kids meant to” and “one of the—the kids is named Danny.” Weyman’s uncle strangled him in front of his sisters and was convicted of murder.

Shawn Hornbeck. February 26, 2003, on Montel. Browne told Shawn’s parents he was dead, but he was found alive in 2007.

They seem like a set up for a bad punchline. Type in "Amanda Berry Sylvia Browne" and see if there was a peaceful conclusion. I guess if you think the mother dying before her child (now adult) was found, sure. Peaceful as it gets.
Quote by severed-metal
Yes, stop being childish.
Wow you're soo cool.
words and yada yada
I'm referring to the hypothetical in the OP, you lard. The family already knows the victim is dead. They're just using you to talk to them.

If they get caught lying, it equals out to nothing. The payer realizes mediums might be a scam and the medium gets busted robbing people. I already explained they don't deserve to make a living off of it anyways.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 4, 2016,
Joke's on you cause Joshua Garcia doesn't even care.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Joke's on you cause Joshua Garcia doesn't even care.
Dont forget it bby.

Goodnight.
Quote by SGstriker

I don't think it's unethical as long as they're not offering anything besides typical medium services and they aren't representing themselves as anything but a medium.

Some people I know don't believe in this type of stuff but they have gone to mediums and astrologers to try and cope with certain events. In that sense it's way cheaper and less socially stigmatized than going to therapy for the same thing.

There is a case of the above I would call completely unethical because of how the astrologer represented himself. If you'd like to know about it you can fb message me since it's ongoing and is still a pretty messy and sad situation.
cat
Quote by Joshua Garcia

This paragraph is not relevant to the discussion at hand but I'd recommend you think about this position in general.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.

Criticism has plucked the imaginary flowers on the chain not in order that man shall continue to bear that chain without fantasy or consolation, but so that he shall throw off the chain and pluck the living flower. The criticism of religion disillusions man, so that he will think, act, and fashion his reality like a man who has discarded his illusions and regained his senses, so that he will move around himself as his own true Sun. Religion is only the illusory Sun which revolves around man as long as he does not revolve around himself.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Page 1 of 4