Hey guys. Just wanted to know what you would recommend I do if I wanna get into recording acoustic originals.

I'm really lost. I'll need both a dynamic and condenser mic, right?

I've already got really good editing software, and I could get a DAW if that's what I need as well. I will need an interface. I do know that much. Looking at a focusrite scarlet i4...

Am i missing anything else? Is it better to record everything in one go? cause that's what I was told....

Or should I isolate the recording of both tracks and then mix them together?

See what I mean?^^^

Confusion.
You'll need one or two mics (or more if you prefer), an audio interface and a DAW. You don't necessarily need a dynamic mic, you can do both on a condenser. People usually prefer a large diaphragm for vocals and small diaphragm for acoustic instruments, but you might be able to use one mic for both with good results.

You can record them at the same time, but you don't have to. If you record them separately, you get a cleaner result and more room for mistakes. If you do them at the same time, you can record it as a performance, but you might have problems with volume bleed and the like.

For a DAW, look at Reaper. For interfaces, the Focusrite stuff is great.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Thanks for the quick response, man! Sooo if I was to buy two mics so that I could do it all in one performance, would you recommend that I get two condensers instead of a condenser and a dynamic?

I only ask because I was thinking of picking up an SM57 for recording electric guitar and heard that you can use that mic for recording acoustic as well...

Can you explain in further detail the whole diaphragm thing as well? I don't uite know what you mean...
Sm57 is a good mic- while there arent any rules, it probably isnt the best mic for recording acoustic guitar and/or the sort of vocals that tend to go with just acoustic. The reason being is that it is a very directional microphone and it rolls off the lows and highs, and has a high mid presence spike. Pretty much all good things for recording electric, but I think it would leave you with some post-processing work if you try to use it for the acoustic thing.

Do you have a budget established? Like you said, you really only need three items: two good mics and an interface. So i would buy something quality for each of those. If it were me, i would probably buy an rme babyface interface and then spend around $500-600 for two moderately solid condensor mics (though i dont know which, because i dont have much experience w them)

Edit: or save some money and just buy one nice mic and record things one instrument at a time. If you have a mac, the apogee solo(?) is a nice unit. The scarlett stuff is pretty good, but as i stated, you only need a couple things so you might as well get the best quality you can
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Feb 4, 2016,
What mic(s) would you recommend for singing and recording vocals, and also a mic for recording acoustic guitar?

Any suggestions that won't fucking kill the bank? Something in the $200-350 range that will sound nice?
Quote by DeathShredder23
What mic(s) would you recommend for singing and recording vocals, and also a mic for recording acoustic guitar?

Any suggestions that won't fucking kill the bank? Something in the $200-350 range that will sound nice?

I think $200-350 is a pretty good budget for a microphone. You should be able to get a midrange model that will perform just fine- maybe do a search and look up "most affordable condensor microphones" on google; they have lists of recommended mics for al budgets, and i think theres a bunch that would suit you. I personally dont know much about condensors nor do i even own one. But I think if I was you, I would get one. I produce mostly hard rock / metal so dynamics work just fine for me. But again, there arent any rules
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by diabolical at Feb 8, 2016,