I just bought a PRS SE Angelus Custom acoustic, one of the 2012 models before they came fitted with a preamp. Reviews seem to suggest that the sound is better on these models, but I do need to install a pickup/preamp of some kind.

I don't really want to cut into the body anymore than I need to, so I'm looking at passive options that I can just run straight to an endpin jack.

An option that someone recommended to me was a K&K Pure Mini, which is a three plate pickup that sticks to the underside of the bridge plate and goes right to the endpin jack. My only concern with one of these is not using enough glue, or not getting the positioning right on each plate.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions or experience fitting one of these set ups?

Thanks for any input!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
The K&K has a good reputation, and USTs (under saddle transducers) are becoming less common than SBTs (soundboard transducers). You could run either type into an external preamp, using a fairly short lead, which is what I used to do and is still the choice of many. There are also systems available where the preamp works through the soundhole, but I'm out of touch, so I don't know much about them.

My choice these days is to use a soundhole pickup - the Baggs M1 active, which, although magnetic, behaves like a combined piezo and magnetic.
Thanks for your input Tony! I was hoping to avoid needing a preamp altogether, and have read that the K&K Pure Mini should just run straight to a PA system? It seems that I could use a preamp, but don't have to. I may consider installing a proper preamp at some point but I don't want to modify the guitar that heavily at this time!

I should probably also add, that I don't think I can afford anything more than £100..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Yeah, I've heard stories about piezos being run straight to an amp/PA without a preamp, but unless the amp/PA has a very high impedance input the sound is likely to be harsh and quacky. The preamp acts as a buffer, it has a high-impedance input and a low-impedance output.
I hadn't thought about the impedance factor to be honest.. This is primarily for use in a church band, and one of the other guitar players on rotation has a Gibson J200 that had a passive under-saddle or under-bridge pickup fitted years ago and that works fine when connected through a DI box.

Does a DI box therefore correct the impedance issues?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart