What kind of concerns should I have with Floyd rose guitars to prevent damages. How tight should this be. Is going into multiple tunings frequently good for the guitar. Things like that. What are the things I should keep in mind so it doesn't get damaged. Thanks!
Whatever you do, don't adjust the action under full tension of the strings. Loosen them first. I play it safe and take the whole thing off, but that's just me because I'm a bit paranoid.

Anyway, as long as it is an OFR, Gotoh FR, Schaller FR, among other good floyd roses, those things are virtually indestructible.

If it is a LFR, maybe lubing the knife edges with chapstick could extend their life and help with tuning stabillity, but I'm not totally sure...

You can change tunings, but you have to set up the whole thing again, unless you block it both ways. You won't damage the guitar, but seriously, if you're gonna have a guitar with a Floyd, that guitar is not meant for multiple tunings, simply because it's too time consuming to set up a guitar with a Floyd. Just leave it in one tuning and be happy.
Quote by DanyFS
Whatever you do, don't adjust the action under full tension of the strings. Loosen them first. I play it safe and take the whole thing off, but that's just me because I'm a bit paranoid.

Anyway, as long as it is an OFR, Gotoh FR, Schaller FR, among other good floyd roses, those things are virtually indestructible.

If it is a LFR, maybe lubing the knife edges with chapstick could extend their life and help with tuning stabillity, but I'm not totally sure...

You can change tunings, but you have to set up the whole thing again, unless you block it both ways. You won't damage the guitar, but seriously, if you're gonna have a guitar with a Floyd, that guitar is not meant for multiple tunings, simply because it's too time consuming to set up a guitar with a Floyd. Just leave it in one tuning and be happy.

+1, especially to the first and last paragraphs.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by pressureproject
Going to be a nightmare if you change tunings a lot....I wouldn't even bother. Even if you block it.

Do what I did.install a tremel no.Set it to whatever tuning you use most ie e standard and you can dive and pull all you want.Set it to lock and you can still dive and change tunings but just not pull.
There's no issue doing multiple alternate tunings with a Floyd-equipped Variax.
Do the research on the JTV89F.
Quote by crazyman3561

1. What kind of concerns should I have with Floyd rose guitars to prevent damages.

2. How tight should this be.

3. Is going into multiple tunings frequently good for the guitar.

Things like that. What are the things I should keep in mind so it doesn't get damaged. Thanks!

I had a guitar tech teach this to me back when he taught me how to set up a guitar with a floyd rose.

1. By damages, do you mean to the strings? or guitar? or the FR Bridge?
If by strings, you're gonna eventually have to replace those anyways. FR bridges tend to wear out strings faster than fixed bridges. (cause of all that pulling/diving, which will stress the strings)

2. The string lock screws (those long screws parallel to the guitar, coming out of the back of the bridge) should be tight enough to hold the string in place, but not too tight, else the string gets damaged (i think is the term?). not too loose (because the string might pop out during a pull and take your eye out)

The locking nuts (at the neck/headstock) should be tight enough (by hand standards. Don't use a electronic screwdriver to try to make it too tight)

3. Multiple tunings frequently is a nightmare for FR guitars
Trying to reset up the FR bridge to a different tuning is already a pain to do. Changing the tuning for every song will take a long time.

4 (other stuff). When you change the strings (to a new set of strings of same brand and tension), put a block between the guitar and the locking screws. Else because of the springs tension from the back cavity of the guitar, when you take off the old strings, the floyd is going to fly backwards, and possibly damage both the bridge and your guitar.

(If you don't know how to set up the FR bridge, take it to a local guitar tech to set it up. Watch how they do it, so that you get some idea of how it works). The FR bridge has to "float" parallel to your guitar, and try to not let it lean too much forward or backwards.

When tuning, (if the string is out of pitch by a lot) unlock the locking nut at the top of the guitar (that "metal thing with screws" located near the headstock), then turn the fine tuner, for that string, at the FloydRose guitar (the little circle looking screws, perpendicular to the FR bridge) counterclockwise, until you nearly reach the end of it. (the screw should look a bit taller now). Then go to the tuning pegs at the headstock, and turn it until the string is back in tune. Then relock the locking nut for that string.
(that way, when it goes out of tune by just a bit, you can just turn the fine tuner for that string clockwise, and you can put it back in tune without having to unlock the nut and retune)

Also, do NOT try adjusting the headstock tuning pegs if the locking nuts are still holding the string tight. (it may cause the string to snap)

When changing strings, cut off the little plastic/metal/colored ball at the end of the string, leave just enough string left so that you can place it into the FR bridge. Keep pushing it until you feel something at the bottom, and you can't push the string anymore. then lock it with the string lock screw.
Next, for the headstock tuning pegs, (assuming you have locking tuners), place the string through the tuner hole, then slowly turn the peg. once you turned it about 360º, make it so that you place the string over the other part of the string (so that it keeps it from slipping),

I don't know if that sounded confusing or not :/

That's all I can think of for now...
Last edited by Parac at Feb 5, 2016,