Hi,I'm very new to this community and I want your opinion. I wanted to change the bridge pickup in my Godin session,I mostly play metal and don't need cleans out of bridge pickup, I've so far loved the SD Nazgúl and Dimarzio D activator X, and stuck between two. The guitar is made out of all bright tonewoods, maple fretboard and neck, basswood body(Godin's special basswood which has more bass) and I know they're totally different pickups, but help me, I also mostly play C-drop tunings and brutal metal rythems and malmasteen kinda melodies(at least the tone is like him) and like medium highs and strong bass.
I use VOX Pathfinder 10 with pedals(Marshall jackhammer,zoom g1XON) and going to get a tube amp
soon)
About the tube amp, would you recommend laney cub 12 with the use of pedals good for metal,or should I buy sth heavier like Randal rd1 or VHT special ultra 6 or blackstar ht1 or ht1metal ? (My local dealer gives a special price drop for the laney cub 12)
Please help.
The Laney Club 12 is not a metal amp in the slightest. If that is what you play, then I would say buying a Laney club 12 just cause it's a tube amp won't get you the sounds you want. Pedals or not. The VHT Special is also not a metal amp at all.

You need to provide us with a budget, location & if you can buy used or new etc... Before we can give you any answers that can actually help.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The Laney Club 12 is not a metal amp in the slightest. If that is what you play, then I would say buying a Laney club 12 just cause it's a tube amp won't get you the sounds you want. Pedals or not. The VHT Special is also not a metal amp at all.

You need to provide us with a budget, location & if you can buy used or new etc... Before we can give you any answers that can actually help.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the amp choosing is not that much of an issue, but noticed Not to go for laney and vht(although I was talking about the 2channel ultra version) but the pickup is my issue
And I live in Iran, so not much used gear around here. The named ones are in my budget
Amp choosing is the most important issue if you actually care about improving your tone. If you want to spend your money on other things then feel free but that is not the smartest thing to do nor did you give us a budget to work with.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ariyankazem
Hi,I'm very new to this community and I want your opinion. I wanted to change the bridge pickup in my Godin session,I mostly play metal and don't need cleans out of bridge pickup, I've so far loved the SD Nazgúl and Dimarzio D activator X, and stuck between two. The guitar is made out of all bright tonewoods, maple fretboard and neck, basswood body(Godin's special basswood which has more bass) and I know they're totally different pickups, but help me, I also mostly play C-drop tunings and brutal metal rythems and malmasteen kinda melodies(at least the tone is like him) and like medium highs and strong bass.
I use VOX Pathfinder 10 with pedals(Marshall jackhammer,zoom g1XON) and going to get a tube amp
soon)
About the tube amp, would you recommend laney cub 12 with the use of pedals good for metal,or should I buy sth heavier like Randal rd1 or VHT special ultra 6 or blackstar ht1 or ht1metal ? (My local dealer gives a special price drop for the laney cub 12)
Please help.

as for the pickups why not go to the mfg's websites and listen to the tone samples?. to my ears i find the naz to be more muddier then the d-act but that's just my opinion.

regarding the amps, i don't like any of those choices for anything heavy but you might not have a lot of options and i don't know what things cost over there. (as an example $500 usd = about 15 million rial) $500 usd in the states can get you a used mesa mark something for example.

let your ears decide.
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 5, 2016,
Quote by ariyankazem
Thanks for the suggestion, but the amp choosing is not that much of an issue, but noticed Not to go for laney and vht(although I was talking about the 2channel ultra version) but the pickup is my issue
And I live in Iran, so not much used gear around here. The named ones are in my budget

amp is the heart of your tone. you will want an amp that can deliver a fair amount of gain for a good metal tone. add an overdrive pedal to that for "metal" tonz. believe me that will sound better than using a distortion pedal which is what i'm assuming you do. Iran wow thought metal was frowned on there. do the best you can but i understand your options are limited. still amp is where the money needs to go first pickups shold be based on the amp you are using not the other way around.
The Randall RD (Diavlo) series heads are perfectly fine for getting your metal on. They are a Fortin designed circuit, built specifically for metal players, manufactured in china to keep cost lower. Can cover 80's hair metal to modern metal just fine.

I'd go for a Randall RD amp if you can swing it with your budget.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.

Expanding on what the others said, the amp is the single most important piece of gear in defining your tone. Amps designed for metal have certain fundamental design differences from those that aren't. You can't make tabbouleh by substituting cilantro or mint for parsley because, even though they be related, they don't taste the same.

IOW, You want to play metal, you need an amp designed to play metal. Or at least one that is close enough that you can work with it using the right pedals & guitars.

So, what amp brands do you have in your area?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Made up my mind and decided to go for randall rd with nazgul, and yes metal is frowned here but electric guitars aren't(metal concerts and cds are forbidden). Interesting fact the name nazgul is middleastern turkish and persian.
Quote by ariyankazem
Made up my mind and decided to go for randall rd with nazgul, and yes metal is frowned here but electric guitars aren't(metal concerts and cds are forbidden). Interesting fact the name nazgul is middleastern turkish and persian.

glad you got it sorted out.

That is messed up your gov't not allowing a type of music. That must suck. How do you listen to metal? internet, bootleg CDs?
Could you get metal cassette tapes? They aren't CD's

I have seen a few videos of Middle eastern metal shows being held and the people there really seem to enjoy it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 6, 2016,
I can't believe there are countries in 2016 that ban entire genres of music. That is seriously messed up. I hope you aren't risking any harm to yourself or government intervention due to your music choice.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
It is messed up , but no u won't get arrested for being a metal head just can't officially and legally play it in public cd or live,and we download mp3s because very low access to actual cds,only a few ones that don't have vocals and aren't too heavy like malmasteen and blackmore and mohammad reza saboktekin (a local guy i know check him out)are legal, but there is worse than us, for example saudi arabia has a death penalty for metal players. It's not that bad unless i show em the cover of some album like repentless
Quote by ariyankazem
It is messed up , but no u won't get arrested for being a metal head just can't officially and legally play it in public cd or live,and we download mp3s because very low access to actual cds,only a few ones that don't have vocals and aren't too heavy like malmasteen and blackmore and mohammad reza saboktekin (a local guy i know check him out)are legal, but there is worse than us, for example saudi arabia has a death penalty for metal players. It's not that bad unless i show em the cover of some album like repentless

Holy shit that is messed up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ariyankazem
Interesting fact the name nazgul is middleastern turkish and persian.

Ironically, meaning "shy rose" or "delicate flower" as I recall. A truly amusing linguistic "false freind".
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 6, 2016,
Quote by ariyankazem

That is absolutely mental.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay