I'm debating between these two attenuators. I'm kind of leaning towards the Rivera but the price of the Hot Plate is tempting. I've heard both are good attenuators but I'm wondering if they can both be safely operated strictly as a load box with no speaker attached? One thing I really want to do is be able to capture the sound of my entire amp via the line out on either of these units and send that into my interface and into some impulses. In case it matters my amp is a 60w 6505+

Thanks!
Quote by xxSovereignxx
I'm debating between these two attenuators. I'm kind of leaning towards the Rivera but the price of the Hot Plate is tempting. I've heard both are good attenuators but I'm wondering if they can both be safely operated strictly as a load box with no speaker attached? One thing I really want to do is be able to capture the sound of my entire amp via the line out on either of these units and send that into my interface and into some impulses. In case it matters my amp is a 60w 6505+

Thanks!

well after things I have read about Andy Marshall, he'd be one of the last people I'd ever trust with my money. read if you want something to do
www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/andy-marshall-thd-electronics.1082648/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
well after things I have read about Andy Marshall, he'd be one of the last people I'd ever trust with my money. read if you want something to do
www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/andy-marshall-thd-electronics.1082648/

Wow I skimmed through that and that seems pretty messed up. The hotplate I was looking at getting is one of several listed as new and direct from THD on eBay.

Anyways, can the Rivera RockCrusher be used as a dummy load with no speaker attached to it safely? This isn't the only way I want to use it as I do want the attenuator function too I just want to know if it also has this functionality.
I haven't had the chance to try the ones you've listed, but I picked up the Jet City Jettenuator a few months back, and its been working out pretty good. Its actually the only attenuator that I've ever used, but it seems to help me control the volume of my 5150, without changing the tone.

It can be used as a dummy load, and has the line out. I haven't actually tried the line out tho. Quite a bit cheaper than the others too.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/#!jettenuator/c12ve
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I haven't had the chance to try the ones you've listed, but I picked up the Jet City Jettenuator a few months back, and its been working out pretty good. Its actually the only attenuator that I've ever used, but it seems to help me control the volume of my 5150, without changing the tone.

It can be used as a dummy load, and has the line out. I haven't actually tried the line out tho. Quite a bit cheaper than the others too.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/#!jettenuator/c12ve

I've never checked that one out I'll look into it. The dummy load with a line out is my main concern. If I'm recording that is how I'll be using it going into some cab impulses. Right now I'm using the effects send on my 6505 into Amplitube 3 with the amp part in AT3 bypassed and it sounds nice but I want to be able to capture the added tone and dynamics from the power amp while cranked. Since I play late at night I have to keep my amp practically on 0 haha. I feel like it's kind of lifeless there.
Quote by xxSovereignxx
Wow I skimmed through that and that seems pretty messed up. The hotplate I was looking at getting is one of several listed as new and direct from THD on eBay.

Anyways, can the Rivera RockCrusher be used as a dummy load with no speaker attached to it safely? This isn't the only way I want to use it as I do want the attenuator function too I just want to know if it also has this functionality.

Here is another kicker, THD as not been a business for several years, no longer makes amps, supposedly he was going to have some ex-employees privately build the Hot Plate, but even that has been a BS stunt to get people's money. But here is a working THD website that will accept your money for anything on it
www.thdelectronics.com/

He even had a Jet City model that Jet City discontinued (when he went out of business during the downed economy) called the Pico-valve
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 6, 2016,
FWIW, there are load boxes designed to do specifically what you're looking for and much more. But they're not cheap. Nor will they damage your amp or your recording gear.

Take a look at the Two-Notes Torpedo Studio and Torpedo Live http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-live/ . The LIVE is a reactive (rather than resistive) load, and you can modify your sound a number of ways, including with 8 mike simulations and with IR cabs. The Studio offers much more.
I've seen the Torpedo Live and as nice as it is it's a bit out of my price range plus I'd still like the ability to attenuate the amp and play through a cab if I want to. But then I noticed the Torpedo Reload and it looks like it can do everything I want it to do. It's still a bit out of my price range but if it's the perfect device I can save for a bit longer since I'd rather get something nice that I won't want to upgrade for a long time. I also noticed the Radial Headload Prodigy and it looks like a nice unit (although it doesn't have much in terms of attenuation) the price is nice too. However I haven't really heard much about Radial nor have I found much on forums about that specific unit.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Here is another kicker, THD as not been a business for several years, no longer makes amps, supposedly he was going to have some ex-employees privately build the Hot Plate, but even that has been a BS stunt to get people's money. But here is a working THD website that will accept your money for anything on it
www.thdelectronics.com/

He even had a Jet City model that Jet City discontinued (when he went out of business during the downed economy) called the Pico-valve

Yeah I have seen the site a few times before I read that forum thread and like a lot of other people I thought they were still a full going company. After reading that though it's shady and I'd be leery of buying something from them or their eBay store.
Quote by xxSovereignxx
Yeah I have seen the site a few times before I read that forum thread and like a lot of other people I thought they were still a full going company. After reading that though it's shady and I'd be leery of buying something from them or their eBay store.

well ebay has buyer protection so you'd be covered. It is just after seeing what the guy has done to numerous people I wouldn't give him the time of day.

And it sucks, because before all of this, THD was a legit company that made a good product
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 6, 2016,
Quote by xxSovereignxx
I've seen the Torpedo Live and as nice as it is it's a bit out of my price range plus I'd still like the ability to attenuate the amp and play through a cab if I want to. But then I noticed the Torpedo Reload and it looks like it can do everything I want it to do. It's still a bit out of my price range but if it's the perfect device I can save for a bit longer since I'd rather get something nice that I won't want to upgrade for a long time. I also noticed the Radial Headload Prodigy and it looks like a nice unit (although it doesn't have much in terms of attenuation) the price is nice too. However I haven't really heard much about Radial nor have I found much on forums about that specific unit.

Most of the Radial units are fairly specialized, but the ones I've worked with have been sound. The Torpedo Studio offers both resistive and reactive loads (switchable). The Reload offers a reactive load. What the Two-Notes pieces offer is a wide variety of sound modification in addition to simple attenuation; the Radial does not.
At this point I think I'm leaning towards saving for the Torpedo Reload. I like that it comes with their impulse software as I feel that Amplitube 3 impulses is fairly limited. Plus I can use it as an attenuator too. I saw the Webers but I heard their sound really goes to crap when bringing a cranked amp down to bedroom volumes. I know that cranking a 60 watt amp then attenuating it so much to make it quite enough to not wake my entire house will alter the sound and what not but I'd like to get something as transparent as possible.
I got a Jet City cab and the packaging also said THD so they're under the same umbrella...not sure what is going on there, but it seemed that Jet City also had some restructuring weirdness going.

The THD was a great attenuator, haven't used one in a while but they were the best a few years ago.
Hmm So many options! Another one that is somewhat tempting is to just get a more bedroom friendly amp like the 6505 mh haha. Although I'm not sure how that would sound compared to my 60 watt 6505 under heavy attenuation..
Quote by diabolical

The THD was a great attenuator, haven't used one in a while but they were the best a few years ago.

They were pretty much the ONLY a few years ago.

It was called the THD Hot Plate because, like all resistive attenuators, amplifier power was dissipated as heat. You could keep your coffee hot on that thing all day. The issue has always been that they change the sound.

The Weber MASS attenuators featured a reactive load (essentially a speaker voice coil) that purported to dissipate the power as heat *and* motion in the same way that any speaker coil does, but with no speaker cone, it wasn't pushing air. These *also* change the sound.

There have been other reactive load attenuators, some essentially electronic, but the issue with attenuators has been that they all insert something between the output transformer on the amp and the voice coil in the speaker, and that does something to the sound.

The only volume-reducing device that doesn't do that is the Fluxtone Speaker. It essentially reduces the efficiency of the magnet on the speaker to produce up to a 25 dB reduction in volume -- the equivalent if turning your 30W amp into a 1/8thW amp. The good news? The volume changes, but the sound doesn't (though your ear won't hear it quite the same, thanks to principles first noted by Fletcher-Munson). Eminence has a speaker that doesn't work quite the same way (it will actually dump 6-8 dB). The volume change is minor, very limited and nowhere near enough for a bedroom, etc.
The Weber Mass doesn't have a magnet so there can't be any movement. The speaker coil just adds an inductive load.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Weber Mass doesn't have a magnet so there can't be any movement. The speaker coil just adds an inductive load.

Right. Sorry. The "speaker motor" looks like this in the MiniMASS:

There are still Hugh Jass resistors in the box...