Needed something less "boomy" for individual use (hard with a 120W XXX combo) so I was on the market for a smaller amp. First choice was an Ibanez Iron Label 15 but unfortunately that got snagged before I could get to my card (always have your card number written down or have an account with the number saved so you can order while in class ). So it was the next best thing at a *strict* $300ish budget at this wattage. Bought for $300 but had $30 off a used item at GC.

Clean channel is enjoyably clean even with my SH-6 pickup set, I appreciate the separate channel volumes. Takes my EQD hoof well.
Dirt channel at a low gain (between noon and 9:00)-Enjoyable classic rock tones, no need for an EQ (yet). But not without a quirk (see below).

The tone in general without my MXR 10 band-Laughable. Too warm. Not very clear though I can't tell if it's due to a high amount of low end or just bad speaker/distortion quality. I didn't need the EQ for the clean channel (but tone about 3:00) or at AC/DC ish level of gain but I have bass, mids, and ISF at 0, treble full, and this is with the channel volume high and the master volume between 9:00 and 10:00. It does sound good at this setting, but that's not realistic. Anything with the gain higher is straight up mud. I guess it'd be good (though barely, probably) for sludge with no EQ pedal but haven't tried it yet and really have no intention of doing so. Also noisy as hell.

With a 10 band-MUCH better. Maiden tone= I have the gain between noon and 12:30 but the other knobs the same. On the EQ I dropped all of the low end sliders to 0 so it'd be clear, 500K -6db, 1K a bit above flat, 2k down at -6db, and 4, 8, 16K near +6. Much clearer and brighter. Starting digging the tone, kicking on my 805 for solos sounds good through it. Noisy but my decimator did the trick.

Haven't tried any thrash tones but I already assume I'll be boosting with a pedal (update later). I have no idea if I'll keep it. The 10 band basically solved the tone issues I was having and I feel the tone is passable.

Note: Rocket 50 speaker, ruby el34's, sovtek 12a7x's (2 of each tube). Also haven't really bothered with the ISF but on face value of reading ads for it and reactions to it, I assume it's probably a crock of s**t. Sounds fine at 0.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 6, 2016,
Thrash tone (without a boost, with MXR 10 band))-Not tight enough (as expected really) but the level of gain (I had it at 8) does allow for 80's thrash. Won't be hitting anything modern without any sort of boost though.

Thrash with boost-Good. Not great, but good. MXR 10 band: Everything up to 500hz scooped out, 1k up to +6, 2K -6, and 4, 8, 16k +6, if not a bit higher. Duncan 805: Level full, gain 0, bass at 8:00 (which on this pedal is about -10db on 110hz), mids/treble at noon.

General thought: With what I have for equipment I made it sound good. But it took more tweaking than anticipated to get accurate tones (with obviously unrealistic settings). I was playing alone and in my unfinished basement but I'd be surprised if that had the most impact. Anyone have experience with this amp to tell me what their alone settings look like (even if not for the same type of music)?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 6, 2016,
First thing to try is replacing that shitful Rocket 50. Nothing sounds goo through those things.

HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
happy ngd.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
nice score

I haven't tried it but as cath says that speaker has a pretty poor rep. i wouldn't worry too much until i got to hear it with a better speaker (maybe you could try a better speaker/cabinet in a shop which has them in stock?)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNAD, get rid of the rocket 50 ASAP, that speaker is killing your tone.

Those amps have EL84's which I'm sure you meant and not EL34's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
HNAD, get rid of the rocket 50 ASAP, that speaker is killing your tone.

Those amps have EL84's which I'm sure you meant and not EL34's

No it really is EL34 amp, which I cannot understand why. Its basically stripped down version of HT50 and yet it still uses same big bottles for measly 20 watts.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
So here's my thought (wish I knew how awful the speaker would be but reviews were divided on how good the amp was): Keep amp, get used V30 at nearby shop, labor= about $450 OR return, get DSL15C for $400 with free shipping option/$470 after ship&tax if that option gets snagged. How good is the Celestion G12E-60?

Option 3 is jet city 2212C for much less than either of these amps but I have no knowledge of it and there aren't any nearby to try.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 7, 2016,
Quote by MaaZeus
No it really is EL34 amp, which I cannot understand why. Its basically stripped down version of HT50 and yet it still uses same big bottles for measly 20 watts.

well I don't doubt it, my 1980Jr uses 2x 6L6's for 20watts also, it makes for a very clean power section in mine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
So here's my thought (wish I knew how awful the speaker would be but reviews were divided on how good the amp was): Keep amp, get used V30 at nearby shop, labor= about $450 OR return, get DSL15C for $400 with free shipping option/$470 after ship&tax if that option gets snagged. How good is the Celestion G12E-60?

Option 3 is jet city 2212C for much less than either of these amps but I have no knowledge of it and there aren't any nearby to try.

I'd take the DSL15 over the HT20 personally

I like the Jet city also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
DSL15 over the Blackstar any day, its an actual all tube amp (don't believe Blackstar marketing BS).
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Yeah I tried not to let that be a bias before trying. I figure it's a combination of the hybrid design and bad speaker that's doing it but I don't know how much blame to assign to the former (and ergo how much will a speaker change actually impact it.). I'm gonna work with it this weekend to try to gauge how far off I am or what speakers would work, but it just seems more efficient to go for the DSL. Wish I thought of it sooner but at least I know what not to try.
The hybrid design is unlikely to be the main problem. That's pretty much just an OD pedal up front.
The speaker is Celestion's worst speaker by quite a margin. As I said, nothing sounds good through a Rocket 50. Throw a V30 into it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MaaZeus

different voltage on the tubes will give you a different output wattage (i think).

i guess they do it because a lot of people don't really like el84s for higher gain tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Thrash tone (without a boost, with MXR 10 band))-Not tight enough (as expected really) but the level of gain (I had it at 8) does allow for 80's thrash. Won't be hitting anything modern without any sort of boost though.

Thrash with boost-Good. Not great, but good. MXR 10 band: Everything up to 500hz scooped out, 1k up to +6, 2K -6, and 4, 8, 16k +6, if not a bit higher. Duncan 805: Level full, gain 0, bass at 8:00 (which on this pedal is about -10db on 110hz), mids/treble at noon.

General thought: With what I have for equipment I made it sound good. But it took more tweaking than anticipated to get accurate tones (with obviously unrealistic settings). I was playing alone and in my unfinished basement but I'd be surprised if that had the most impact. Anyone have experience with this amp to tell me what their alone settings look like (even if not for the same type of music)?

I have the HT-20 and although I also have an MXR 10b EQ, I don't use it with this amp, dont like how it modifies the tone.

I don't have the muddy issue, however, without a boost/OD or similar, at lower volumes it does sound like a blanket over the amp. That could be what your experiencing.

As far as comparisons, I compared directly with the DSL 40c and DSL 15h, I liked the classic gain of the DSL better, it produces an outstanding AC/DC tone (better than the HT-20, which doesn't have same bite unless the volume is cranked). In fact the 15h with the 6v6's I thought sounded better than the 40c (for classic gain with an OD pedal). I didn't try the 15c. However, couldn't stand the high gain on any of the DSL's.

I would definitely not swap out the speaker, it won't provide enough change for the money. I have an Orange PPC 1x12 with a v30 and it is not noticeably better than the stock rocket 50. I know that will be sacreligious to many, but it is my opinion. Ultimately, if you don't love the sound of the HT-20, the speaker won't make the difference.

I think you are not getting the most out of the amp with the base and mids on zero. In my opinion this amp needs the mids, especially at high gain. I often run the mids around 2 or 3 o'clock, with the treble at 12 o'clock, ISF at 2 or 3 o'clock and base at 1 o'clock. Now I have a DOD YJM OD pedal that is bright, which I run at middle gain but max level to drive the amp. At these settings and with an OD, the gain on the HT-20 only needs to be between 9 and 12 o'clock to produce a good 80's metal tone - phenomenal for Sabbath, Ozzy, etc. For Dio, George Lynch, they are much brighter, so you can play with tone to get more of that sound. For Lynch, I back off the amp gain settings a little (to 9 o'clock) and max the treble.

Hope this helps. Lastly, if you are playing at bedroom levels, I use the BBE sonic stomp pedal as it really helps the high gain at lower volumes, again, IMO.

My guitar is a Music Man jp6 with the liquifire/crunch lab pickups (which are outstanding and my favorite). Therefore, depending on your gear, you will need to tweak these settings.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd take the DSL15 over the HT20 personally

I like the Jet city also

Totally.

As a former HT20 owner. I couldnt make that amp sound not dead no matter what I changed. Ran it into different cabs, ran different tubes... never liked it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
So an update: I returned thee amp. I finally fiddled with the ISF knob and that helped with the mids situation (could turn them up fine). But still way too warm (even with SH-6's in a alder so cal) and just "wet blanket over the amp"-ish.

I'm using various OD's and still couldn't really dig it despite it being an improvement. I'm looking at the Ibanez IL-15 again since a few came up. I figure the Seventy 80 is a better speaker despite not being the best. Heard it does better in fully closed back and that's what the IL 15 is so I think it's a good go.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Feb 20, 2016,
well that sucks for you man. Hope you get it sorted
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Too bad it didn't work out, but good luck on the IL15. Not familiar with it but sounds interesting.