Fuzz
2 25%
Distortion/od/gain etc.
6 75%
Voters: 8.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Send the guy a message and ask.

yeah

sounds like fuzz to me (which means it probably isn't )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
after listening and watching the guy play the answer is both. the "clean" parts are an amp set to light gain. the solo is clearly a fuzz pedal. since he at no time during the video does the player adjust his volume control (on guitar) i highly doubt it's fuzz all the way through. i tend to set my amp for a light overdrive sound to mimick jimi's marshalls which were cranked to 10 so never truly clean and use a fuzz for the rest.
I don't think that's fuzz. That's a normal light overdrive sound, probably achieved by just turning the amp up or using the drive channel of the amp at a low gain setting. Fuzz is way more buzzy and compressed and has more sustain. Listen to the guitar lead of American Woman - that's a good example of fuzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FUo2oZsXbc

Fuzz doesn't work well for full chords. It lacks clarity. But it's good for that kind of thick lead sound.

The improvised solo in the end (at around 3 minutes) is fuzz. Everything else is most likely just amp overdrive (or it could also be a normal overdrive pedal - but definitely not fuzz).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 7, 2016,
i take your point about his not touching the guitar volume control (that's what I get for watching the first 20 seconds and ignoring the rest ) but if you roll the volume back on a fuzz pedal it can get pretty overdrivey-sounding. that's sort of what i was going on. obviously the first bit isn't a big muff with the sustain set to 10...

actually, here's a thought- look at the angle of the writing on his volume knob. it's totally different from the angle on the tone knob. now, maybe he just has them on crooked, but that suggests that there's a fair chance that either the volume knob isn't up full, or the tone knob isn't. if it's the volume (lot of caveats coming up ) that isn't up full, and if he's got it set just right, he could get the more overdrivey sound for the first bit and the more fluid and compressed bit for the lead at the end just by picking harder. it's not like the lead at the end is super-saturated fuzz like a muff either.

EDIT: actually it does sound a bit like he kicked on a pedal at the end to be fair since the rhythm bit is more distorted too. but he could be using a fuzz at the start set low and boosting it for the solo... eh. pretty hard to tell really, there's any number of ways to do what he's doing.

Quote by MaggaraMarine

Fuzz doesn't work well for full chords. It lacks clarity. But it's good for that kind of thick lead sound.

it works great for chords if you roll the volume down
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 8, 2016,