Hello everyone!
I'd like to learn to play guitar, but do not know where to start. I do not want only to learn tabs of my favorite songs, I want to learn everything: scales, chords etc. I do not have money to take lessons, but I would like to know how you learned to play, and I saw that there are many sites to learn from; which do you recommend?
p.s. I want to play rock/metal

Thanks in advance!!!
http://www.melbay.com/Products/93200/modern-guitar-method-grade-1.aspx

Seriously....the above is NOT recommended (but it's how I learned chords).

Do you have a PS3 or PS4? If so you can get Rocksmith2014 and an electric guitar. Not the best solution, but it will familiarize you with the instrument, teach you some songs.

If you can't do that, I'd recommend getting a nice playable entry level guitar and just learning your basic open chord shapes. Practice fingering the chords and strum the guitar until all the notes ring clearly. That ought to keep you busy for the first couple months. Maybe look up some 2 and 3 chord songs so you can try to learn a song while you practice. Don't be discouraged if you sound like crap....we all do when starting out. Keep practicing the chords, switching between them, and eventually it'll be second nature to you. If you know the chords, and the beat, you can play anything.

Most important, I think, is to simply put your hands on the instrument a lot. Familiarize yourself with it intimately. When you strum really pay attention to the notes, how you can affect the sound in different ways. Be attentive and try to learn by hearing, as well as by playing. The more training you get with your ears, the better.
Last edited by TobusRex at Feb 7, 2016,
justin guitar (free website but he accepts donations)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Melbay is decent, I'll give them that. I'd say Rocksmith does quite a nice job at teaching, but fair enough. I second the third and fourth points from Tobus. Additionally, YouTube and a few music sites, including this one, might help out a lot

-Sharky
Step 1- Learn to play 5 easy songs of your favorite genre, even if you don't know about (chords, scales, technique)
Step 2- Learn 3 easy Beatles songs or 3 of any songs that are folk. (old mcdonald, twinkle twinkle)
Step 3- Learn 1 scale
Step 4- Learn the names to some chords
Step 5- Learn some intermediate techniques (tapping, speed picking, palm muting)

Step 6- Using lessons, try to learn about chord theory, scale theory, ect. If you can play the guitar, it's much easier to connect it with theory. Than to learn theory right off the bat.
Unfortunately, I DID start out with classes in guitar and paid out lessons, but definitely did not use them solely. I branched out with tabs and sheet music, more on tabs, and checked out other sites and saw how the songs were being played.

Basically, saying that paid lessons does not make one supposedly better at the thing they are being taught, only that it was a way to get the train rolling/started to begin with heheheheh

-Sharky
Quote by Dave_Mc
justin guitar (free website but he accepts donations)

Yeah, Justin's very good. You should also check out Marty Schwartz, and NextLevelGuitar- on YouTube as "rockongoodpeople". Good luck on your six-string adventures!
I second that melbay
but In my experience The internet is not always good for beginners I think it has people learning all over the place, and not concentrating on one thing at a time.
Sure it could help you with how to hold the guitar etc , and simple things like that.

A book step by step can help begin

For a example
(and I know your starting , and will not understand this but it is a example of how something so easy can be taught idiotically online by so any people)

Lets take lessons on the circle of fifths
I've heard it is so hard (even by open minded people)

you can see it goes CGDAEB ETC

So in to find the major you look at what is surrounding G
between it is CD is G's major,
and so on D would be G A --it surrounds D in the circle

(NOTE, and if you knew notes (which is in Melbay)
I could also explain how to look at that ,
and see the relative Minor -- harmonic Minor melodic minor )

The only thing You may need help with
in the later parts of the book is counting
by that time you may be half way done with the book
and It makes you feel like you accomplished something for a beginner...
(playing mary mary had a little lamb, and being able to understand notes)
also helps with easy stuff to help move your fingers for a beginner.

I already Wrote one thing out I could send it to you
Also learn all the songs in the second third position
it will help with being a more independent player later on all over the neck.
EDIT THIS is not a lesson, but Just a example if you do decide to get a book
or even read tab online to try playing the same thing all over the neck
also Try the library
(you can even have them shipped out of state from the book mobile program
just ask them or to show you where to look for the web site )

Now when I mentioned play every song in the second position
What I meant was
Do you notice the guitar has those boxes on the neck

0 meaning your hitting no box( called a fret) just a open string
1 is the first box or fret
3 is the third and has a marking on it (as well as 5 7 9 12)

So a song that goes like this is also the next string up 5 places on the neck

----0 0 13
------------5 5 68

(see you added 5 notes)
I've played music by ear for years (but learned and re learned the notes)
If you want a good head start, and being able to think for yourself instead of scale pattern it helps (but is not essential)

See below
every fifth fret fretted repeats open to the string below except See below

High E String (EFG) 0,1,3 ---- +5 =
B String (EFG) 5,6,8 --+4 =
G (EFG)910 12 --
D (EFG) + 5 =14 , 15, 17

(I played guitar in my head all over the neck
deciding to learn like this being more independent
What else are you going to do after going to jail for getting punched by the police
My toilet paper roll, and rubber band guitar didn't work so well
but getting those balls out of the deodorants sure make fun bouncy balls )
Last edited by AuroraIllinois at Feb 7, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
http://www.melbay.com/Products/93200/modern-guitar-method-grade-1.aspxMost important, I think, is to simply put your hands on the instrument a lot. Familiarize yourself with it intimately.

Steady on there fella!!

I'd second the Justinguitar suggestion.

I don't agree with the guy that says lessons are only good to get the ball rolling. I think they can be useful at all levels. If any of us went to English lessons, we'd all learn something and guitar is no different.
I like Pebber Brown, but not everyone agrees with me on that. I generally think his classical technique is a good thing to learn, and I like the way he explains timing. Some don't like his attitude, but I think its great. He really drives home the point that you must practice, and practice a lot. He's at least worth a look.
Taking formal classroom lessons using book methods, is the best way to learn very basic sole of guitar. It will help you learn sight-reading, rhythm, pedaling, music notation and time signature. While online programs offer music videos and other choices but they are nothing without a live music instructor, Because if you get stuck in the middle only a music instructor can help you. Taking guitar lessons from a reputable music school is the best way to start with.
As a fellow beginner I can suggest the two following books by Joseph Alexander:

1. 15 Essential Guitar Lessons for Beginners - the cover says "Learn to play the right way." I can't really say if this is the right or wrong way, but it definitely gave me what I was looking for when I first picked up the guitar.

2. I'm currently digging into "The Complete Technique Theory and Scales" book. It's actually three different books in one.

One thing I struggle with as a beginner (and I think most would agree here) is defining goals and developing a plan to keep on track with those goals. That is why I supplement "on my own" learning with lessons. Sure you can find stuff online, but there is something useful about having another person there familiar with your goals helping you achieve them, especially if you're like me and need a little push sometimes when it comes to motivation.
There are lots of good videos, tons of good instructional dvd's and books, all of which provide the beginning basics. But most importantly they provide a structured routine. I just started playing myself, you got to stick with it. There will be times when you get it right away and you just take off, then there will be times when you get a little frustrated, that's when you need to stop and work hard on whatever has you stumped before you even think about moving on to the next thing. I started playing guitar 3 weeks ago, not knowing anything, I didn't know what the string cords were, I didn't know notes or what they looked like, never read music...just only ever listened to it. I got a book by this guy Named Wolf Marshal, never even heard of this dude, but in only a couple days I'm completely drenched in music not just the guitar. Amazing how you can see the light on one thing after learning about another. Good luck.
Flying in a blue dream
Check jimicolors youtube channel... was a huge help for me and I still try to learn everyday from it....

Peace
What I'm doing is using tabs as a springboard.

For example, I've been drawn to some Seether material, which seems to work best when barring. I want to learn those songs, so to do that, there's techniques I need to know. And I can see the benefits.

Should you learn scales, modes, etc? Why not? But, you want to be invested in it and have an applicable use so it will stick with you.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Justin guitar start off his his beginners course. Start off with chords and go from there
I started with justin bery good teacher u have to put in the time
If you are totally amateur in playing guitar, then I would suggest to take up lessons under the guidance of guitarist or music school. You can learn better by means of step by step training. Music school is much better option.
Quote by ognjenmijatovic
Hello everyone!
I'd like to learn to play guitar, but do not know where to start. I do not want only to learn tabs of my favorite songs, I want to learn everything: scales, chords etc. I do not have money to take lessons, but I would like to know how you learned to play, and I saw that there are many sites to learn from; which do you recommend?
p.s. I want to play rock/metal

Thanks in advance!!!

Buy books. If you are not interested in hitting a store check on Amazon and do searches and read reviews. Too many options to suggest one.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1