3 months in. Just completed my first song. Livin On A Prayer. Need feedback. THANKS!

Here is the Link.

Livin On a Prayer. Bon Jovi

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxLmu9R2mw0

Played guitar for 3 months now. Because of pharmacy school and work I don't have a lot of time practicing guitar, only time i can play is the couple mins during study break or during weekends before work and stuff. Anyhoo, Finally I just completed my very very first full song. Bon Jovi's Livin on a prayer. Arranged by my favorite composer Tomi Paldanius.

I finally decided to record it. I make a lot of mistakes regularly so i had to split the recording into two parts. and the new pickup in this taylor guitar does not reproduce my palm hit very well.

I learned everything completely on my own, like travis picking, palm hit, resonance and stuff I just pretty much find tutorials on youtube. Dont really want to spend money on getting a teacher and stuff.. So i am not sure how good or bad exactly im playing it.. I need some advice, tips, suggestions, anything that can help me improve!! THANKS!!!

Guitar: Taylor 312ce Tuning: EADGBE
Pretty good for 3 months! I like how you aren't tentative acting like most new guitar players...you are banging on that thing proper!

Keep practicing, looking good so far!
Really great job for only 3 months!

A couple pointers

Practice with a metronome or some kind of beat. The main riff used in the intro was a bit unsteady sometimes, especially the bass line.

Try to make the melody more legato. You're cutting a lot of the notes short and it sounds kind of choppy. Do this by making sure your fingers are pressed down on the frets for the entire length of the notes, letting open strings ring as long as they need to, and making sure you're not accidentally muting the string with another finger after you play it.

keep up the good work
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Feb 7, 2016,
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Really great job for only 3 months! I have students who have played for longer than that and can barely change between open chords.

Are you sure that's not because they are YOUR students!?
Quote by TobusRex at #33818382
Are you sure that's not because they are YOUR students!?

It's a possibility

They are all young kids though and for some reason most seem to hate practicing chords and it's apparent when they don't practice them at home.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
It's a possibility

They are all young kids though and for some reason most seem to hate practicing chords and it's apparent when they don't practice them at home.

Lazy damn kids. I can empathize...gave a nephew some lessons a couple months ago. Heard that within a week he'd quit trying at all. All he wants to do is play games...guitar takes him away from that. I reckon your students are probably the same.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Really great job for only 3 months!

Practice with a metronome or some kind of beat. The main riff used in the intro was a bit unsteady sometimes, especially the bass line.

Try to make the melody more legato. You're cutting a lot of the notes short and it sounds kind of choppy. Do this by making sure your fingers are pressed down on the frets for the entire length of the notes, letting open strings ring as long as they need to, and making sure you're not accidentally muting the string with another finger after you play it.

keep up the good work

Wow man. Thanks so much for your great advice. Yeah I feel like my tempo is very off. I definitely need to practice it with a metronome.
Quote by TobusRex
Lazy damn kids. I can empathize...gave a nephew some lessons a couple months ago. Heard that within a week he'd quit trying at all. All he wants to do is play games...guitar takes him away from that. I reckon your students are probably the same.

Playing music is a very repetitive and can be a very boring process. My parents forced me playing violin for 10 years.. So I completely understand how boring and dry it can be. In modern world with so many distractions, video games clubs tv shows movies. Almost most kids I knew gave up music after a year or 2. You gotta have some sort of strong dedication in order to play music and play it well..

You cant force a kid to play, you need to motivate them.. I know I am definitely not in the parenting age yet, but one advice is that you need to "Lure" the kids into music. You gotta take them to the rock concerts, tell them that guitarist "gets all the pussies" (of course not in the exact word), tell them playing music is cool, etc.. You need to build their interest not their skills lol
Quote by UltimateGuizar
Well done. You're half way there

Wait a sec..

I had to do a triple take...

Is that a pun?

From the song?
@Maximilian: yeah, hard to force kids to stick to things.

Unless you use duct tape.
Quote by TobusRex
@Maximilian: yeah, hard to force kids to stick to things.

Unless you use duct tape.

Or just spank the shit out of them if they misbehave lol
Quote by MaximilianW
Wait a sec..

I had to do a triple take...

Is that a pun?

From the song?

Of course, and well done in context too!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Very impressive for how long you've been playing.
Check out my band Disturbed
Better than I could've done (haven't played guitar properly since I got a bass about 3 years ago now), well done man. to do the vocal melody line and the backing stuff is impressive considering you've only been playing for 3 months. Its not perfect, few mistakes, but with more practice you'll iron those out. Keep up the good work

As megadeth said, metronome or play with the song in the background, and work on letting the notes ring out in the right places. Half of being a good guitarist is knowing when to let a note ring, and when to cut it short. that timing is something you can't read a book to learn, its just something you get a feel for by playing
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
What an unfortunate song to learn to play.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Timing is off and your dynamics aren't spot on but ur way better than I am and I've played for like 8 years now so well done

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Bladez22
Better than I could've done (haven't played guitar properly since I got a bass about 3 years ago now), well done man. to do the vocal melody line and the backing stuff is impressive considering you've only been playing for 3 months. Its not perfect, few mistakes, but with more practice you'll iron those out. Keep up the good work

As megadeth said, metronome or play with the song in the background, and work on letting the notes ring out in the right places. Half of being a good guitarist is knowing when to let a note ring, and when to cut it short. that timing is something you can't read a book to learn, its just something you get a feel for by playing

Yeah. Metronome is must. I am starting to incorporate metronome into my practice already. Thanks for your suggestion.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
What an unfortunate song to learn to play.

Why unfortunate?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Timing is off and your dynamics aren't spot on but ur way better than I am and I've played for like 8 years now so well done

8 YEARS!? Thanks for your kind word but no way I can play it better than someone who played the instrument for 8 years lol