Bought a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR with the EMG pickups. I will start by saying the 9v battery is brand new. I plugged up to my uncle's marshall halfstack and could not get my guitar to sound mean and distorted, but my uncle plugged his carvin into it and (with the same amp settings as when I tried) it sounded louder, meaner, and had wicked distortion. Am i missing something about the relationship between his amp and my emg pickups? I thought about buying a distortion pedal but if there's something wrong with my pickups then I'm just avoiding the real problem with a temporary fix. I'm fairly new to dealing with these kinds of things and have always been around guitars with passive pickups so any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and nothing looks out of place in the cavity with the switches but i haven't taken the pickups out. Thanks in advance everyone.
Did you use the same cable?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
The internal wiring could be bad/wrong/broken.

Also, the EMG in the bridge should be very close to the strings compared to a passive.

Did your Schecter come stock with the EMGs or were they added later?

And what type of EMGs do you have? An SA and 60 are far from brutal.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I know this sounds stupid, but when I first got a guitar with EMGs I had the same problem but I later realised that the input jack on the guitar with EMGs was slightly tighter and I had just not pushed the cable in completely. I know it sounds stupid....no harm checking though.
Quote by metalmingee
The internal wiring could be bad/wrong/broken.

Also, the EMG in the bridge should be very close to the strings compared to a passive.

Did your Schecter come stock with the EMGs or were they added later?

And what type of EMGs do you have? An SA and 60 are far from brutal.

My EMG's are 81/85's. They came stock in the guitar. Also used the same cable on both guitars. Is it possible his amp settings just wont work for my guitar like it will for his? And everything in the cavity for the switches looks fine.
Quote by ArchitectFan
I know this sounds stupid, but when I first got a guitar with EMGs I had the same problem but I later realised that the input jack on the guitar with EMGs was slightly tighter and I had just not pushed the cable in completely. I know it sounds stupid....no harm checking though.

+1 on this. lol. I remember plugging my Schecter Damien Elite 6 in for the first time like "Whaaaaaat is wrong???" But I realized I just needed to jam the cable into the output. Should definitely check that.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
His chord shorts out. Could that have something to do with it? If you bump the chord it will sound like crap so you have to avoid pulling on the chord or moving it. Worked fine on his but wonder if it would cause my guitar to be experiencing those problems. And what cable should I buy? I like the looks of the fender cables but seeing as how they are cheap I don't want to get what I pay for lol. I would rather not have to spend 30-40$ on a cable when something cheaper will serve the purpose perfectly well. Thanks for the input btw y'all.
Quote by HarleyDC
His chord shorts out. Could that have something to do with it? If you bump the chord it will sound like crap so you have to avoid pulling on the chord or moving it. Worked fine on his but wonder if it would cause my guitar to be experiencing those problems. And what cable should I buy? I like the looks of the fender cables but seeing as how they are cheap I don't want to get what I pay for lol. I would rather not have to spend 30-40$ on a cable when something cheaper will serve the purpose perfectly well. Thanks for the input btw y'all.

crap cable would certainly cause issue. you don't need to spend a fortune but try not to cheap out wither. remember that the cable transmits signal from guitar to amp so if it's not doing it's job your tone will suffer needlesly.
To be honest, any not cheap PoS cable will do the job just fine. I use Fender cables, both instrument and patch and they are good. Most of these super amazing expensive cables don't really improve your tone as much as they like to brag, especially relative to the cost.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
I'm currently using a Livewire Soundhose basically because I bought it for my mom because her favorite color is red. However I like it. So far I've had zero problems with it, and I like the color options for playing with other people because you clearly see the cable, and you can easily know which cable it is if you're color coding. Here's a link to one. (They come in various lengths a as well and multiple colors.) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/Soundhose-Instrument-Cable.gc
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by GraceByDeath
I'm currently using a Livewire Soundhose basically because I bought it for my mom because her favorite color is red. However I like it. So far I've had zero problems with it, and I like the color options for playing with other people because you clearly see the cable, and you can easily know which cable it is if you're color coding. Here's a link to one. (They come in various lengths a as well and multiple colors.) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/Soundhose-Instrument-Cable.gc

Colour coding cables is definitely something I need in my life, I find it hard enough sorting through my 2 cables, one into the pedals and one from pedals to amp, god help me when I get an FX loop amp and will be running 2 sets of pedals.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Colour coding cables is definitely something I need in my life, I find it hard enough sorting through my 2 cables, one into the pedals and one from pedals to amp, god help me when I get an FX loop amp and will be running 2 sets of pedals.

I have my cables bunched together and they stay attached to my board when I put it away. When I set up, all I have to do is plug the two labelled 'FX Send' and 'FX Return' into the loop and plug the other into my main in. The only other cable is from the guitar to the pedal board.
Quote by ArchitectFan

I did this exact same thing. I was pretty bumbed out and then I pushed the jack a little further in and made me a lot happier.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

I'll have to check those cables out.

I'll have to get back over there and try pushing the cable in further lol. Don't think that was the problem but I am used to just gently pushing the cable like normal. I never over-do it but it sounds like you need to in order to get it to fully make connection.

Thanks guys.
Quote by HarleyDC
I'll have to check those cables out.

I'll have to get back over there and try pushing the cable in further lol. Don't think that was the problem but I am used to just gently pushing the cable like normal. I never over-do it but it sounds like you need to in order to get it to fully make connection.

Thanks guys.

It just seems to catch about a quarter of an inch away from being fully inserted. I have no problems with it now that I'm used to it.