I recently purchased a used Squier Standard Stratocaster FMT. The only problem I have found with it is that my high E string keeps getting caught on the frets closest to the body, resulting in a high pitched pinging sound. How can I fix this?
Raise the action a tad. Youll need to retune and intonate the string after as well.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
sounds like the bridge might be misaligned
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think either the bridge or neck are out of line. Pictures of your guitar would help.

You could also have chunks or dints in your frets causing the string to snag, when I tried a guitar in a pawn shop once I couldn't bend the B or G without them getting caught in a groove in the fret then pinging out like you described.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
The string gets rolled off of the fretboard in that spot, no matter how hard or lightly I strum. It's fine if I'm actually using the E. Maybe that's why the guitar was $80...
I would have guessed that the neck needs tweaking over a little, but it looks OK to me in the pics, because the neck pickup is lined up properly with the strings. However, it does look as if the strings and/or saddles need moving over a bit so that the 1st string is further from he edge of the neck. It might be easiest to move the whole bridge over, if there is sufficient space to the bass side of the trem block.
Everything looks to be in line to me, I don't think it is the bridge or neck alignment that is the issue.

Can you please describe the problem in more detail? Which fret is the string slipping off from? Can you bend the high E up and down without it feeling like it is getting snagged?
Are all your frets smooth?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
common problem with squiers. it was $80 lol it's a cheap guitar. the neck is probably bowed and possibly twisted a bit, the frets if i had to guess are probably mucky, and the overall intonation is lousy. get it properly set up and it should fix the problem, but not for long.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Everything looks to be in line to me, I don't think it is the bridge or neck alignment that is the issue.

Can you please describe the problem in more detail? Which fret is the string slipping off from? Can you bend the high E up and down without it feeling like it is getting snagged?
Are all your frets smooth?

Look at the 4th pic. The 1st string isn't centered over the bridge pickup pole, it almost off the edge of it. It also looks as if the saddles might be too wide for the neck and pickup pole spacing.
Well, the E string bends well above where the snags occur. I can have fingers in the general area of the slipping area and have it stay in place. How much would it probably cost to have the guitar's problems fixed?
Quote by Tony Done
Look at the 4th pic. The 1st string isn't centered over the bridge pickup pole, it almost off the edge of it. It also looks as if the saddles might be too wide for the neck and pickup pole spacing.

This is common on Strats, Squier or otherwise. It looks worst at the bridge because the string spacing is widest there, while the polepieces are the same spacing as the neck and middle. And the bridge pickup is angled, making the alignment off. It has a negligible effect on function, nothing that cannot be compensated for by raising the pickup height, and next to nothing to do with neck or bridge being misaligned.

If I'm correct in stating that the OP's problem is that the high E is getting caught by the pick while strumming and coming off the fretboard, that sounds more like a technique issue.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Last edited by Stillhouse at Feb 8, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done

That is normal for Strats, mine looks the same above the bridge pickup pole piece and I have zero issues with strings falling off the fretboard.

Quote by jonahclass611
Well, the E string bends well above where the snags occur. I can have fingers in the general area of the slipping area and have it stay in place. How much would it probably cost to have the guitar's problems fixed?

What fret exactly does the snagging occur?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Last edited by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma at Feb 8, 2016,
Quote by Stillhouse
This is common on Strats, Squier or otherwise. It looks worst at the bridge because the string spacing is widest there, while the polepieces are the same spacing as the neck and middle. And the bridge pickup is angled, making the alignment off. It has a negligible effect on function, nothing that cannot be compensated for by raising the pickup height, and next to nothing to do with neck or bridge being misaligned.

If I'm correct in stating that the OP's problem is that the high E is getting caught by the pick while strumming and coming off the fretboard, that sounds more like a technique issue.

Yes, the lack of alignment wouldn't worry me in the least from the pickup performance POV, but in this example, the 6th string is fairly well centred over the poles and the first string isn't. IOW, I'm still left wondering if the bridge, saddles, strings whatever aren't somewhat misaligned towards the treble side. I admit I could be making mountains out of mole hills, or it could be the camera angle, but given the OP's problem, I would be looking at it as a possible factor.
If anything, a good setup by a pro couldn't hurt. But I don't see anything jumping out as being mechanically wrong with the guitar.

I would like to take this opportunity to recommend getting a copy of

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Great/dp/0879309989

Tons of knowledge from the guy who literally wrote the book on how to setup your guitar for yourself.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
here is a long shot (i can't tell for sure in pics), how high is your neck pickup? is there any chance that it could be too high and pulling on the string and guiding it out?

i had that happen once once on an old washburn and a really strong magnet on the neck pickup, but that was when i was 13 and thought an X2N was the answer for life. haha. however i don't see stock single coils ever doing that... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jonahclass611
My neck pickup is as high as all the other pickups.

i did say a long shot... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I know you guys are gonna find this crazy, but I dropped the guitar a short distance (completely on accident) and the string stopped sticking to the edge of the fretboard.
Quote by jonahclass611
I know you guys are gonna find this crazy, but I dropped the guitar a short distance (completely on accident) and the string stopped sticking to the edge of the fretboard.

I guess we should have just suggested to hit it with a hammer
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay