Hello everyone, I have run into a predicament. I'm looking at buying my first 8 string and I've narrowed it down to two models. The Schecter Banshee Elite 8 or the ESP E-II HRF NT-8B.
I currently own two Schecter models, the Blackjack SLS Avenger FR-S and the Hellraiser C-7. I've played numbers of different Schecters and have never once been disappointed by them. Though I have played a few ESPs and a number of LTDs, I've never had the chance to play an E-II. I do know that E-II was created to bridge the quality gap between ESP and LTD but again, I know nothing of the E-II quality and playability.
I have no real concerns or complaints about either instrument so I'm hoping someone can help me in making my final decision. Any help and/or input from someone who either has played or owns either of these instruments would be more than greatly appreciated.
I've looked into other companies such as Strictly 7, Halo, Agile, Jackson and the such. But nothing really appealed to me, be it specs, color, hardware, or what have you.
Currently I am playing through a Line 6 Spider IV 150w but will be upgrading to a Mesa Boogie Mark V and 2x12 cab within the next few months. A lot of what I plan on playing with it will be mostly original compositions. I've been exploring the prog and djent side of music for the last year or so and I think an upgrade would help expand my creativity exponentially.
Again, I look forward to and help that can be given and hopefully find me my new 8 string. Thanks again!
I would buy the amp before an 8 string. Spiders are absolutely horrible amps and the super low notes will just sound like even more congealed feces than a regular guitar through it.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
new amp for sure
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I understand all the hate for the Spider but that's not the topic at hand. It still works and has worked fine for me for the last several years and honestly I don't mind it. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions. My question comes back to the guitars. Which one would be a better choice?
My money would go on the ESP, the highest non USA custom shop Schecters are made in the same factory as LTD 1000 series, so the ESP would be a higher quality.

I also vastly prefer ESP to Schecter anyway, I used to own a couple of LTD 1000s
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
I didn't know that non USA high-end Schecters were made in the same factory that LTDs were. I did know that the E-II is made in the same factory that ESPs are so I do imagine the quality would be of a higher grade. But even the high-end Schecters from Korea have a great quality of to them. I have 2 of them and I love them to death.
E-II is supposed to be the same as the original standard series. Schecters are made in World Music in Korea with the 1000 series LTDs. With that said the E-II is a step up from both despite Schecter producing quality guitars. Like the other said though buy the amp before the guitar.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by killed 'em all
I didn't know that non USA high-end Schecters were made in the same factory that LTDs were. I did know that the E-II is made in the same factory that ESPs are so I do imagine the quality would be of a higher grade. But even the high-end Schecters from Korea have a great quality of to them. I have 2 of them and I love them to death.

It is 1000 series LTD, high end Schecter, PRS SE and Chapman guitars all made at World Music in Korea.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
So what I'm hearing, besides buy a new amp, is that the extra few hundred dollars for the quality would be well worth the purchase of the E-II over the Schecter. Yes?
Quote by killed 'em all
So what I'm hearing, besides buy a new amp, is that the extra few hundred dollars for the quality would be well worth the purchase of the E-II over the Schecter. Yes?

That's something you should ask yourself rather than ask us.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Truthfully, all I really wanted to get from this thread was how each instrument plays. I mean I do appreciate everyones comments and opinions but like I said, all I wanted was an idea on how they play.
i would go ESP.

new amp first though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I own a Schecter C1-Classic and an ESP E-II Horizon III. These are fairly similar instruments from a design perspective: They are both neck-thru body guitars, and they both have Seymore Duncan Humbuckers. Both guitars also have a coil tap. The Schecter has a maple neck thru mahogany body, while the ESP is a Maple neck thru alder body.

The ESP E-II is a more refined and contained guitar in my opinion. The Schecter has a more ballsy sound and has a bit more edge to it. Both are great guitars. Without knowing the composition of the electronics, I note that the ESP is a bit easier to control on the noise side.

Both guitars play well. The ESP with the alder body does sound a bit colder than the Schecter. The Schecter feels heavier. Side by side, the two guitars are very close in terms of shape and size. I actually bought the ESP because I liked the Schecter. The ESP appeared to be a higher end version of the same type of design. I fancied myself getting rid of the Schecter after I bought the E-II, but now I think I will keep them both.

The ESP does feel a bit smoother to play, but I have to be careful because these things are very subjective. As I said above it is a colder guitar. The Schecter has the mahogany body, so it sounds warmer and resonates a bit more. I did not like the vine of life very much on the Schecter, so cosmetically I give it to the ESP there.

These are not the guitars you are interested in, but they are two very similar guitars from ESP and Schecter. The price difference is about $500 new between the two of them, the ESP being the more expensive. Hope this helps.
ESP E-II is the made in Japan line that used to be the ESP standard. Now they have reserved the actual ESP logo to custom shop and made in America.

The fretwork and neck on my E-II is phenomenal.

The post above could just be a difference in pickups. Seymour Duncan makes tons of great pickups and some not so great ones - all subjective.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I own an ESP (Standard series, now renamed as the E-II line). It's head and shoulders above any Schecters I've ever played save for the USA ones which are quite a bit more money.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I own an ESP Standard, and I love it. I would like to also own an E-II some day. I hope you decide to get one, the two I've played were both great.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS