Youtube link to our new single

Hello everyone! My band, Between May and April, released our new single, The Void, last week. I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look / listen and tell me what you think. In return, I'll gladly listen and review anything you throw at me!

EDIT: Also, just to let everyone know, technically the spoken word intro is another track. The single is cut into two parts - the spoken word, called "Prelude to Reality", and the song, called "The Void". It's more of an introduction to our eventual album
Last edited by jeroenmd at Feb 9, 2016,
Pretty nice stuff. I like the little lead riffs going in the song constantly. Good flow, good calmness, piano break works with the song, overall time is good duration, going from piano solo to guitar solo was an awesome transition that I did not expect. Very good stuff here heh

-Sharky
jeroenmd,
Sounds quite good, especially considering (it appears) you got it all in one take (not saying you got it on the first take, though maybe you did). Especially with the vocals, it kind of reminds me of Tears For Fears (a compliment). Perhaps I'm reading something into it that is not there, but I sense the singing lyrics are a (different opinion) reply to the spoken word intro? Very good overall. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1695931
Thanks for your crit. Your band sounds good I feel it could appeal to a wide audience which is the point if you're trying to make some money with your music. The vocals are my favorite part a long with the solos. They sounded improvised on the spot but that's the way I like hearing solos, the piano solo could of had some comping help from the guitar though. But the vocal melody is very catchy stuff. Nice song and the mix sounds good through my headphones .
Ill tell you what I really like this song. (the intro with the talking could be scratched and I don't think anyone would miss it) but the chorus was great very tight wound band nice work where can I get this song is it available for download? im a fan. and its not exactly my first music choice
Quote by Distortionx100
where can I get this song is it available for download? im a fan. and its not exactly my first music choice

Our bandcamp is where the song is up for download It's a pay what you want model, so you can get it for free if you want.

Also, thanks to everyone who has commented until now! ^^
Hey man! I like the song...nice vocal harmonies! and nice production overall

I felt that the intro could have been better with some vocal effects! But overall, its a great song!

Cheers!
This song is a well written and well produced. I find that it has a good structure and flow as well as a good use of dynamics. I find the guitar solo quite tasteful and not overstated. The lyrics have some feeling behind them too with a contrast between high parts and lower parts. I find the singers could dig in a little more though and put a bit more power into it.
I wasn't a big fan of the spoken word intro and think the song would work just as well without it.
Quote by CherokeShredder
Free model option?

This could be a breakthrough for a lot of up-and-coming groups and soloists nowadays :P

-Sharky

Bandcamp really is a great way to sell your products as a band or artist who's just starting up! It's not really that well-known and you won't sell a lot, but you can really reach out to your fans with high-quality downloads there.

Also, just to let everyone know, technically the spoken word intro is another track. The single is cut into two parts - the spoken word, called "Prelude to Reality", and the song, called "The Void". It's more of an introduction to our eventual album

Thanks again to everyone who posted!
Thanks a lot for checking my stuff out. I'm gonna do the best I can to not repeat most of the points everyone has brought up, and most of it will be in reference to the performance itself.

The performance was overall pretty tight. No blaring mistakes, although it does take a bit for the vocalist to settle in during the first verse. I would say that the falsetto needs to be controlled a bit better, or they could stand to use mixed voice to get more power into it.

The harmonies could stand to be tighter. There are a couple of spots during the chorus where they do come in staggered or slightly off pitch when singing in unison. It's extremely difficult to do, but if you're planning on doing it in a live studio recording, especially when everything is under a microscope, it'll be important to rehearse the vocals so that they'll sound as cohesive as possible.

The guitar solo was good, but the technique and overall phrasing could stand to be improved. The picking could be a lot more accurate in order to get the most important lines to be as clear as possible. Learning to effectively use alternate picking for some of those phrases could fix the articulation issues relatively easily.

The song itself was very well produced, and well written. I think if more care is taken with how it's played, the final cut will be absolutely huge. Just take your time with it in rehearsal so that your sessions can be as effective as you deserve them to be.
@jeroenmd I just listened to your material. I'd like to start off by saying that the spoken word section at the intro must sound better in a non live recording, and I hope it sounds immersed in the instrumental, like a distant call. When the guitars kicked in around the 50 second mark, it really livened up the mood. I expected the transition from the aura of the intro into what seems to be the verse so be from soft to heavy, but maintaining the lightness and not going too into heavy territory was a bold choice and I appreciated it, because it didn't break the flow or seem repetitive. The chorus is pretty catchy and the chord progression is intriguing, I must say. Now the solo section: how it all felt was like I was underwater, and that's very good to me as I got sucked in and had all I needed to focus on the solo and still feel the essence of the song. The fact that it wasn't like those ballad shreds really kept me immersed coz it allowed to follow the notes instead of figuring out each note, but honestly the break from that feel to the part at 4:52 didn't do it for me, since it was a kind of repetitive part, but giving the soloand simple ending down into lower notes captivated me. Thank you showing me your stuff man can't wait to see more
Hey man, thanks for the feedback. I'm digging this song. Nice grooves in there and I love the piano. Not a big fan of the spoken word intro but the singer has a decent voice - really good head voice. Guitar solo was nice and had good feel. The quick passage could be cleaned up a bit but otherwise very solid. Nice work here!