Hi guys,

Decided to cover the song that got me into fingerstyle - Andy McKee's "Drifting":

Andy McKee - Drifting

Gear used:

• Stonebridge GS23CR/C
  • Oktava MK012 microphones
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
  • REAPER

Any comments/feedback would be appreciated - leave a link and I'll check out your videos or recordings too!
Now I'm not one to talk, as when I covered this a couple years back I butchered it as it was my first video, but there are a few things I can point out. Mainly you need to slow down, the whole appeal of this piece is that despite it looking quite complex and busy, it's very laid back and the melody has plenty of room to breath, you played the piece too fast to retain that relaxed feel. This is a piece that benefits from not playing it super strict time wise, don't be afraid of letting the melody drag behind a little, and play behind the beat from time to time; as a solo performer you have the luxury of not having to be in the pocket the whole time.

You also never really played with dynamics, something this piece is particularly good for. After the bridge, something that Andy has always done (with the exception of the album version and the original 2006 video) is he really lowers the volume, and lets the notes drag on a bit longer, until going right back to full power in the last section. For a relatively simple piece (musically speaking) with lots of repetition, it helps to retain interest with dynamics.

So really all in all just let the music speak to you, knowing when the piece feels it should change dynamics, and what tempo it should be played at (you did a good job of keeping the tempo consistent, so that really shouldn't be a problem)
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do..
Clik This Link inYour Browser....

► ► ► ► http://www.FreelanceJoin.com
Quote by CherokeShredder
Dude, you did awesome with fingerstyle here. Very clean and fluid and on point and tempo went well, at least to me

Thanks!

Quote by Jimjambanx
Now I'm not one to talk, as when I covered this a couple years back I butchered it as it was my first video, but there are a few things I can point out. Mainly you need to slow down, the whole appeal of this piece is that despite it looking quite complex and busy, it's very laid back and the melody has plenty of room to breath, you played the piece too fast to retain that relaxed feel. This is a piece that benefits from not playing it super strict time wise, don't be afraid of letting the melody drag behind a little, and play behind the beat from time to time; as a solo performer you have the luxury of not having to be in the pocket the whole time.

You also never really played with dynamics, something this piece is particularly good for. After the bridge, something that Andy has always done (with the exception of the album version and the original 2006 video) is he really lowers the volume, and lets the notes drag on a bit longer, until going right back to full power in the last section. For a relatively simple piece (musically speaking) with lots of repetition, it helps to retain interest with dynamics.

So really all in all just let the music speak to you, knowing when the piece feels it should change dynamics, and what tempo it should be played at (you did a good job of keeping the tempo consistent, so that really shouldn't be a problem)

Thanks so much for the critique. I didn't even realise I was so off tempo with regards to the original tune (it's been a while since I've listened to it). I'll take your comments into account when I play it in future, cheers!