Hi everyone! I have a question by way of an introduction.

So first of all, hello! My name is Garrett. I'm an actor living in New York City. I've been a musician on-and-off since elementary school. Piano since 4th grade, percussion since 5th, saxophone since 6th, and singing since high school. With the exception of voice (and a little piano), I haven't taken a lesson in any of those in years. My music theory is a little sketchy, but I do know most of the basics.

Along the way I acquired an acoustic guitar (Samick D-5CE), and I've taken approximately 10 lessons total. Mostly chord work and an intro to Travis picking and power chords. Now that I've moved to New York and started maintaining a constantly empty bank account, I have no money for guitar lessons. I'd really like to work on the basics, though, until enough disposable income starts flowing my way again (knock on wood).

SO MY QUESTION IS: Are there any freely available beginner lessons, tutorials, etc. that you particularly recommend? A YouTube channel, a website, a forum post? Any other plain old simple approach that you practice? Or just nuggets of technical wisdom?

And I know, I know. If I teach myself and start ingraining bad habits, it'll be that much harder to break them later. I went through that with my Russian piano teacher after ~7 years of backwoods Pennsylvania piano lessons. I think I have enough perspective now and enough musical background to take this on, at least for a few careful months. And you'd better believe that I'll be keeping an eye on technique after all those scales and arpeggios with Sergey. Woof.

Thanks in advance!
Well firstly, if you want to 'teach yourself' then stop cheating by asking us or looking online etc

For online lessons, I highly recommend 'justinguitar'.
Youtube has a wealth of guitar lessons, whatever style you prefer. You sound interested in fingerstyle.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdxyPMmtiBLrmsM2Ok-AUg - this guy's name is Rob and he has a ton of lessons on fingerstyle. I like this guy's presentation, he has a pleasant and playful demeanor during his tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2MRTVsETaKgqybZBWLt6Lg I can't remember this guy's name, but he was pretty cool answering a couple questions awhile back. This guy helped me understand the bass pattern of a tune.

Plus lots more. I like to watch amateur covers as well, watch what they are doing and decide if I like it, whether to steal any licks or techniques Plus....they inspire me.
Quote by SpiderM
Well firstly, if you want to 'teach yourself' then stop cheating by asking us or looking online etc

Cheeky. I mean with at home with Internet resources as a guide. But given that you recommended someone, I assume you know that. :P

Quote by TobusRex
Youtube has a wealth of guitar lessons, whatever style you prefer. You sound interested in fingerstyle.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdxyPMmtiBLrmsM2Ok-AUg - this guy's name is Rob and he has a ton of lessons on fingerstyle. I like this guy's presentation, he has a pleasant and playful demeanor during his tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2MRTVsETaKgqybZBWLt6Lg I can't remember this guy's name, but he was pretty cool answering a couple questions awhile back. This guy helped me understand the bass pattern of a tune.

Plus lots more. I like to watch amateur covers as well, watch what they are doing and decide if I like it, whether to steal any licks or techniques Plus....they inspire me.

Thanks! I will look into those.
Quote by SpiderM

I think the guy from that channel frequents this group, doesn't he?
I too learned from justinguitar when I started out.. Perhaps not the most exciting teacher of all time, but very beginner-friendly and he certainly won't be teaching you any bad habits.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Oh, and if you don't know how to read tabs already, I'd recommend learning that and getting tabs for songs you like and think is in your skill range from here, easiest and fastest way to learn new songs! Oh, and download TuxGuitar, it can play (almost) all guitarpro and powertab files and, unlike Guitar Pro, it's free
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Last edited by Muffinz at Feb 10, 2016,
The ones I've been watching lately are on Youtube from PitcherMusicAcademy
and GuitarTricks

but the ones I watch are for electric guitar. So I dunno if they'll help for acoustics
Its hard to break certain bad habits yes, but I developed quite a few bad habits and broke most of them easier than I thought I would. The thing about good habits, is they are hard to do at first, but stick with them a while, and they make everything so much easier that everything will start falling into place and things will get better literally overnight.

Concentrate on good habits certainly, but don't be overly afraid of developing bad habits. They can be broken, and as you get better, most will break themselves. Some people have been made so afraid of bad habits, they become timid with the guitar(or whatever they're trying to learn), and that's really not productive. If you want to play something and no one is around to show you the proper way to play it, just dive in and go for it. You'll figure it out. When the terrible way you hold your pick or whatever hinders you from playing a song you love, you'll find a remedy trust me.
Right now, I am trying to break the habit of nail biting all over again.

Fearful of bad habits? lol Poor buggers. Go through the bad habits crashing head on!

-Sharky
i really do not want to offend anybody...

i do know justinguitar and learn from him...but...the best online guys/channels ( i.e. the ones who helped me the most ), are german speaking ones...yt channels "georg norberg" and "guitar tunes", especially for beginners. are very helpful.
georg offers free lessons ( if you sign up you will get structured Basic lessons - or you just look through his Videos... ), and he offers "unfree" lessons to go deeper...including personal contact via Skype i guess...but not all People are happy with this guy. critical voices in Forums f.e. might get legal Trouble...you just have to heep the distance. i do not have problems with him. after about a year the Mailings stop...
I am just starting to do videos that cater for people that have never picked up the instrument before and would be interested in any constructive feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJdKobAPvY&list=PLzWSouC2FR-Rjm3qEks9WeZPA9PWmM-GR

I would advise that someone you know that can play guitar has a look at your hand position when playing the instrument. This is usually the first thing I correct to help students reach notes and chords correctly.

Guitar playing success is all about your wrist and thumb position!
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
If I could give advice to myself back in time when I was starting it would be to concentrate on good technique, rhythm and a very light touch.

Look for classical guitar lessons online if you can, as classical guitarists tend to put technique above all else. You don't necessarily have to hold the guitar in a classical position but everything else is bang on the money in terms of technique. But by far on of the biggest impacts for me was minimal movement that Justin actually does cover here: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-114-MinimumMovement.php

Rhythm makes any song sound awesome. If you have average rhythm songs sound ok, but never performance level. Work on this and build it into your practice routine. Look for rhythm lessons and lessons that help your left and right hand get in sync. Metronome is vital for these exercises. Don't skimp on this, music is rhythm and I wish I'd done more rhythm practice from the start. You probably know this being a musician though.

And lastly, develop a light touch. New players will inevitably start by fretting the strings with great force. Learn at first to just rest your fingers on the strings so they are muted, and slowly add pressure until the string rings cleanly. Do this for everything you are learning until a light touch is completely natural. I hit a long plateau because I was always fretting too hard and breaking this habit is really hard because most of the time you are thinking about what to play, not how much pressure you should be using. Also, sympathetic tension is a default state of our bodies, playing harder with the right hand tends to automatically make you fret harder with the left. This is hard to break.

My 2c.
I've only been playing for one month, and what I found myself doing was going from one video to the other and really not locking anything down. I got an instructional book for about $15, the Library actually has some pretty good material to study also. Anyway the book provides me the ability to go at my own pace and really get the small things down right from the beginning. I got turned off by a lot of the videos, plus I have to pay to be online. I can put my book on a stand and practice however long I want.
Flying in a blue dream