Been about a year and a half since ive played my 6505 combo. been in an apartment. Finally took it to a friends. let it warm up for a bit, started playing, ampdidnt sound as it usually does. After about 15 minutes it doesnt do anything. No sound at all. Replaced the battery in my strat, has EMG setup, still nothing. No hiss, fuzz, just silent. Have i a blown tube? Or what. Its only about 2 years old. Original owner. Has seen very light use.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Have you run the combo without the speaker attached? Have you troubleshooted the cable? Try plugging into just the effects return- if you get signal there but not in the regular input, then you have a bad preamp tube.
Wouldnt run it with the speaker un attatched. Tried swapping with a cable i know is good. Havent tried the effects return. Not even sure of how to do that to be honest.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
Wouldnt run it with the speaker un attatched. Tried swapping with a cable i know is good. Havent tried the effects return. Not even sure of how to do that to be honest.
You power the amp on standby, let it warm up, plug the guitar into the effects return port, turn the amp on, try to play something on your guitar. If you hear proper sound, that means your power tubes are working and there is likely something wrong with a preamp tube.

Also what did you mean by "amp didn't sound as it usually does. 15 minutes there was not sound." Was there sound for a bit but it did not sound right, then later it cut out completely?
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 7, 2016,
Well ill be damned. Works with plugging into the return port. Must be the pre amp tube. I appreciate it man!
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by Will Lane

Also what did you mean by "amp didn't sound as it usually does. 15 minutes there was not sound." Was there sound for a bit but it did not sound right, then later it cut out completely?

Just didnt have the grit it usually had. A side note of something ive noticed. The standby switch does not light up the peavey logo like it used to. Does this point to a bad preamp tube as well?

edit Just didnt have the grit it usually had. Would cut in and out. Then nothing
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by fender4482 at Feb 7, 2016,
Quote by fender4482
Well ill be damned. Works with plugging into the return port. Must be the pre amp tube. I appreciate it man!
No problem. Be sure to check the regular input again just to be sure. It is good practice to have at least one spare preamp tube and a spare matched set of power tubes. You can troubleshoot which preamp tube went out that way, and you have a spare set of power tubes just in case too.
Quote by fender4482
Just didnt have the grit it usually had. A side note of something ive noticed. The standby switch does not light up the peavey logo like it used to. Does this point to a bad preamp tube as well?

edit Just didnt have the grit it usually had. Would cut in and out. Then nothing
Yes the edit sounds like a preamp just dying. I am not sure about the logo though. Often lights on an amp will be connected to a tube heater circuit so it is possible but I doubt it. The individual lights in the logo might just be burning out.
Since im replacing the preamps, id like to replace them all. Any tubes worth noting?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
Since im replacing the preamps, id like to replace them all. Any tubes worth noting?
JJ 12AX7 in V2-V5, experiment with V1. V1 generally has the most impact on your tone. I like a Tung-Sol 12AX7 for V1, they are generally considered a bit brighter and clearer. You may want to get all JJ if you would rather darker tones. You may want to get a spare set of power tubes as well. Again, JJ or Tung-Sol. Someone with more experience with the 6505 might could suggest something better.
Quote by Will Lane
JJ 12AX7 in V2-V5, experiment with V1. V1 generally has the most impact on your tone. I like a TungSol 12AX7 for V1, they are generally considered a bit brighter and clearer. You may want to get all JJ if you would rather darker tones.

Really appreciate it man. Thanks.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Do all your preamp tubes light up? They should light up when on standby or operating mode -- you'll have to take the covers off of them to see.

If it's just one dead one (probably the case) it may or may not light up. If none of your preamp tubes light up, you've got a more serious problem.

For new tubes, I'd recommend a JJ 5751 in V1 (the tube closest to the amp input) and another JJ 5751 in the phase inverter position (the preamp tube back by the power tubes). 12AX7s everywhere else.

The 5751s are slightly lower gain tubes and have an overall sweeter, clearer sound with less fizz. Plus there's still more gain than you could ever need. They really help the clean channel as well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood