Haven't been playing very long. I am a pretty quick learner so I wouldn't mind figuring out something more to learn with rather than watching how-to's and reading tabs online and in tab books. Curious as to if Rocksmith would be worth spending 50$ on to use as a tool for learning.
I will say this: it's better than Guitar Hero or Rock Band, for sure, and, from at least my colleagues' perspectives, it is a decent tool to have. Granted, it's not meant to replace actual lessons or schooling in the matter, but if one can't have either of those, it does well as a decent substitute.

-Sharky
Do a search, there have been loads of threads on this actual subject.
Rocksmith isn't necessarlily going to help you learn in of itself, but but it's a fun way to keep motivated.

The biggest problem with Rocksmith is that learning to play Rocksmith isn't actually the same as playing the guitar. With Rocksmith, just as with Guitar Hero, you're actually learning to respond to visual cues to trigger an action - when the note hits the line you play, and you get rewarded for that. The problem is that's actually completely at odds with playing the guitar, and here's why....

Quick question - have you ever tried to read something whilst listening to something? You probably have, whether it's browsing through Facebook while watching a movie or slyly browsing the web when you're supposed to be listening to a lecture, or on a phone call. If you're anything like me then chances are you've found it hard to multitask, invariably one sense tends to take precendence so you either stop listening properly or stop reading properly.

The reason that's a problem with Rocksmith is because there's a tendency for you to focus on the visual aspect of the game rather than the aural aspect of playing the guitar. And ultimately the visual aspect, which Rocksmith arguably prioritises, is completely irrelevant to actually playing the guitar. Hand to eye co-ordination is not an important part of learning to play the guitar - hand to EAR co-ordination is, whether that's playing along to a metronome, a backing track or a band. That being the case, if all you have is Rocksmith to teach you there's a danger you'd struggle to play without those visual cues, especially when trying to learn stuff outside of the game.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it as a game, or indeed as part of your learning - it's difficult to stay motivated when learning the guitar and anything that can make it fun is going to help. There's also lots of exercises in the game and anything that gets your fingers moving around is again going to help you become more comfortable with your instrument. Just make sure it's not the focus of your learning, don't place too much importance on it's scoring system because all that really reflects is how well you can use the guitar as a Rocksmith controller, not the guitar as a musical instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Rocksmith isn't necessarlily going to help you learn in of itself, but but it's a fun way to keep motivated.

Pretty much this. It can be a great motivational tool but pretty poor teaching tool. Rocksmith tells you which notes to play but doesn't tell you how you sound. You can score perfect on Rocksmith but still sound like utter crap. In the end, if you want to play well, you need to use your ears.
From personal experience, I bought Rocksmith (through Steam). Set up was not too difficult. But I just do not use it much. I don't know why. Like, in the abstract it seems like "oh, this is a game so it'll be more fun than regular guitar practice" but after playing for a bit, it just becomes another form of guitar practice. And my aversion to other forms of practice -- like spider exercises or working on one tough lick over and over or one technique over and over -- kicks in, and I don't do it.

I seem to have an aversion to anything that feels like I "should" do this. So when I pick up my guitar, I just noodle around trying to find stuff that sounds cool. This is a HIGHLY inefficient way to learn or progress, speaking from personal experience, but I guess it beats doing nothing.

Anyway, I thought Rocksmith might help me learn in spite of my resistance, but it really didn't. That said, given how much you can spend on a book on guitar playing or for a few lessons, or on a pedal, I think for the price that I got my money out of Rocksmith and, heck, I may start using it more diligently in the future, so who knows? If you actually use it, I'm sure it's well worth the money.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!