Hey guys I'm having problems with my Alesis Multimix USB FX mixer.

So, I connected the mixer through usb to my ideapad 100s, and selected it in the sound settings, as well as turning up the volume etc. I have monitors attached to the mixer and for some reason the PC doesnt output any sound to the mixer/monitors. As soon as I'm in the middle of an audio clip, and I can pull out the USB, and the sound will works fine on PC speakers. The same setup even works with my Mac(outputting to mixers and sound comes through monitors), but not my windows Lenovo ideapad 100s(NAme for Reference). Any ideas? Solutions? Thoughts?

Thanks

-Eragon
Quote by diabolical
Go into Sound and Multimedia and assign your mixer as the default.
I think you might need to read the manual on the Alesis for more detail, I doubt they missed the instructions on how to set it up to work in Windows

Hey, thanks for the reply.
So I tinkered a bit, and btw I had already selected it as default, and the PC was displaying that audio was outputting to it (green bars going up and down with the frequency and intensity of the audio next to the name). I thought maybe I had the wrong drivers or something. I uninstalled them and connected again and it still didnt work. Mind you, this was all with ASIO4ALL drivers installed beforehand. So I thought it had something to do with my OS being Windows 10. I proceeded to go to the Alesis website and downloaded the driver that specifically said it was compatible with Win 7,8, and 10. But during installation, it returned error: 0x00005 Timeout Occured. What do you think could be the reason for this? Or did I do something wrong before?
Read the manual, describes how it outputs from USB to mixer, there's a knob above the phones rotary control that engages it.

As far as drivers, not sure why you picked asio4all in this case, maybe it could be made to work with trial and error.

Contact Alesis support if that doesn't fix it, so they could walk you through their driver installs.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 10, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
Read the manual, describes how it outputs from USB to mixer, there's a knob above the phones rotary control that engages it.

I think he meant to say 'button'.

You're looking for the grey button marked 'Ext/USB to Main', '2-track/USB to Main' (or '2-track/USB to Monitor') depending on your particular mixer. That should link the USB return back to the Main (or Monitor) bus. You'll want this 'off' when recording from the mixer.
Not sure if you want it off, it is supposed to mix the output of your DAW back into your main, think of it as having and extra stereo bus that gets mixed at the "master".

Actually if you want to hear your guitar with effects through the DAW you should mute the guitar at the mixer but keep the USB pressed. If you want to hear your guitar input at the mixer (say you're using a mic and want to hear the signal you're capturing), you will have the disengage the "monitor/send thru/etc." knob on your DAW channel or mute the DAW channel so you're not mixing in the two inputs.

But lets get to basics...getting playback through that mixer first
Quote by diabolical
Not sure if you want it off, it is supposed to mix the output of your DAW back into your main, think of it as having and extra stereo bus that gets mixed at the "master".

If you're just playing the output of your DAW/PC, no, you don't want it off, but if your recording the output of the mixer back to that same PC, I believe so. Otherwise, wouldn't you be looping the USB Input onto the main bus, out of the mixer to the DAW, back into the USB Input, onto the main bus, back out to the DAW, back into the USB Input, etc...?

From the MultiMix8USBFX manual:
When recording to your computer,
make sure the 2 TRKS/USB TO MAIN
switch is in the up/raised position to
avoid feedback in your recording.
Alternately, you can deactivate the
"software playthrough" function in your
software while recording.
Quote by eragon1452
BTW that's the wrong model I have the 8

Should be same architecture.

Found this:
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/alesis_multimix_8_usb_fx_please_help
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 10, 2016,
Quote by diabolical

Thanks Diabolical and everyone else for your guy's input, I finally solved the problem. I dont know how because I did so much fiddling around, installing, uninstalling, plugging in and out, changing inputs and outputs in my mixer that I forget. But thanks anyways guys

-Eragon
Quote by eragon1452
Thanks Diabolical and everyone else for your guy's input, I finally solved the problem. I dont know how because I did so much fiddling around, installing, uninstalling, plugging in and out, changing inputs and outputs in my mixer that I forget. But thanks anyways guys

-Eragon

Good man, glad to hear that you're up and running. Just curious - did you keep the asio4all drivers?
Quote by diabolical
Good man, glad to hear that you're up and running. Just curious - did you keep the asio4all drivers?

I actually did, and I think that might be one of the reasons it's working. Also, I may have made a dumb mistake and plugged in my monitors in the wrong place(main instead of monitor) but I remember having them plugged into main and having no sound output..ANYWAYS its solved and again thanks everyone I appreciate it. BTW as you may see from my new thread I have another problem. Diabolical, if you're somewhat of a whiz at this I would really like some help