I've just played through interfaces like the Pod HD and headphones/speakers for the last several years because college and stuff but it's about time I buy a decent bass amp. I have a 5 string and play everything from jazz to metal so as long as its loud enough and sounds good in enough different ways and hopefully has at least a 4 band EQ and a line out then I'm happy. Any suggestions?

Also, how much power is necessary to be able to jam with a band and play small gigs?

I've currently been eyeballing this amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Electronic/BG250-112-250W-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amp-with-2-TonePrint-Slots.gc
but I don't really know if thats the best choice or not.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 8, 2016,
300 watts is the usual recommendation, but i think we have a faq for that. Look for it at the top "sticky" threads.

That5 amp looks decent enough, but I think you'll be wanting for power quite easily. Go used to get more wattage for your money.

I know this is out of stock, but a great amp for the money.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic/B450mkII-450W-Bass-Combo-Amp.gc

Also look at the peavey max and Ibanez Promethean.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Feb 8, 2016,
Acoustic would've been my first choice, and that amp looks perfect. I've used them a few times and always loved the sound but most of them seemed out of my price range. I'll have to see what my local stores have, Guitar Center has a couple used ones online too.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 9, 2016,
Do you want just an amp or half stack / combo? Didn't read the thread, sorry.

250w should just about do, so long as you tell the drummer in any metal band to calm it down a bit. Those TC combos sound great and they're light as a feather but they have a bit of a track record when it comes to reliability. Then again, name an affordable amp brand that doesn't.

Acoustic are a good choice; Fender and Ampeg do some decent 115 combos but they're fucking heavy; Ashdown's Rootmaster and Toneman series are pretty sweet but you might be underpowered again; Peavey are back in business if you want something that will survive the next world war; and Ibanez to a tiny 300w 10" combo but I've always been a bit sceptical of what the actual volume and output of such a tiny and cheap amp.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Feb 9, 2016,
My favorite would be the acoustic. I've never been disappointed with the Amos I've had from then. Under 400 for a 450 watt 2x10 combo that sounds decent is an amazing price.
I have to say in that price range you are going to get the best value with an Acoustic or an Ashdown. Go for as much wattage as you can afford in your budget btw--getting a loud guitarist or drummer to turn down can be a challenge, so more headroom is to your benefit
Fender Rumble 200. Retail price is $400 but you could probably find one for around $300. I love the Rumble series, they sound great and the new series has an upgraded speaker that is really gritty and punchy.
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
Whatever you do get, try and make sure it's either 2 10 inch speakers or one 12 inch, at least. 1x15 would be even better.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by c3powil
300 watts is the usual recommendation, but i think we have a faq for that. Look for it at the top "sticky" threads.

That5 amp looks decent enough, but I think you'll be wanting for power quite easily. Go used to get more wattage for your money.

I know this is out of stock, but a great amp for the money.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic/B450mkII-450W-Bass-Combo-Amp.gc

Also look at the peavey max and Ibanez Promethean.

Pulled the trigger on this amp. Thanks for the advice!
Grabbed it for $350 as an Open Box item. There was one for $230 used but that kind of worried me as the amp was originally $600. Can't wait to jam on it!
Awesome dude! You shouldn't be disappointed! I would have even grabbed the $230 one.

This amp has pretty much everything you could ask for in an introductory gigging amp like line out, compression, room for an extension cab, horn, overdrive, mute switch, effects send, etc.