I posted this on Reddit, thought you guys might have some interesting suggestions too.

So I have an old blonde Univox copy of a Ricky that's in terrible shape because an old friend gave it to me after leaving it in a basement for about twenty years. I've had it kicking around for a while and pretty much everything is shot on it, so I'm planning on rebuilding it and making it into some sort of abomination. I'm looking for suggestions on what you guys think would look cool and sound great, and I'll post the results when its finished, with pics from every step of the process, and audio clip comparisons.

Firstly, most if not all of the electronics are going to need to go. The pickups are completely rusted out and occasionally produce sound for about a minute before crapping out again, and the PU selector switch doesn't work at all. I haven't looked into this much, so any advice on some decent mid-level PU's would be greatly appreciated. The don't need to be authentic Ricky pickups, preferably not, I want to make this old bass as unique as possible. Ultimately I'm looking for any pickups that are going to fit.

This bass has no contours to the body at all, making it extremely uncomfortable to play sitting down. I've seen videos and pictures online of guys adding belly cuts and arm contours to their Rickenbacker copies to make them more comfortable. Has anybody tried this or have any suggestions?

The blonde finish, though it was probably beautiful in its day, is not looking good at all anymore. After looking online at some other Ricky's, I've really fallen in love with the unique look of one I found online, with a black finish, a change of knobs, and no pickguard. What's your favorite finish? Keep in mind I'll be doing this myself, so pretty much anything other than a flat color is off the table, though I've seen some beautiful burst Rickenbackers.

The action on this bass is borderline unplayable. The neck has a bit of a bow that needs to be fixed. I'm considering turning it into a fretless, and I've looked into it, but haven't made up my mind yet. Either way, the nut will need to be filed down or maybe replaced, and any work I do on it is going to be much harder because it's a neck through design. What do you guys think - fretless or not?

All the hardware needs to be replaced as it is covered in rust. Any suggestions?

After all these things are done, I'm going to give it a setup, throw a new set of strings on it, see what it sounds like, and post the results. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
Some pictures of the bass and the wiring would be helpful, I'm good at this sort of thing. Straight of the bat though I'm going to recommend you invest in some soldering equipment and materials, an orbital sander (and breathing mask) and most likely a set of Seymour Duncan pickups (assuming yours are a direct fit for a Rickenbacker.
Yeah, I've got the soldering equipment. I've never been good at embedding pics, but here's a link of what it looks like now:

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--aj1lOttd--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,h_620,q_75,w_620/v1448633783/lhcu401zetuayl42fiox.jpg

And I want it to look like this one but fretless:

http://imgur.com/dwJaNqJ

Obviously I can't just remove the pickguard because of everything it's covering up, but I plan on painting it to blend with the body, kind of like this one:

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/054003%20015.jpg

I'm alright with the wiring and shielding aspects, but I haven't done too much woodworking or finishing, and don't have most of the tools needed for those elements of this project, though I do have a good deal of experience with an orbital sander from work. I also don't know where to look to find parts that will fit a Ricky that aren't from Ricky, because they don't use the standard parts like other companies.

Seymour Duncan does seem like my best option for pickups after a bit of searching. The bridge, on the other hand, is probably going to have to be an authentic Ricky. For tuners, I'll see what I can find, and might go a little weird with it.

Any tips for sanding the finish off the neck? I'm planning to just take my time and be careful but I don't know if there's anything I need to look out for.
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
A'ight; buckle up, buckaroo.

Quote by Metalisnotmusic
Yeah, I've got the soldering equipment. I've never been good at embedding pics, but here's a link of what it looks like now:

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--aj1lOttd--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,h_620,q_75,w_620/v1448633783/lhcu401zetuayl42fiox.jpg

Okay so it has a nice grain so sanding the finish off wont be too much of a problem unless there's binding. Is there binding?

And I want it to look like this one but fretless:

http://imgur.com/dwJaNqJ

You can get cans of nitrocellulose lacquer quite cheap, its a fucking arduous task to respray a guitar body though.

Obviously I can't just remove the pickguard because of everything it's covering up, but I plan on painting it to blend with the body, kind of like this one:

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/054003%20015.jpg

Just buy a replacement pickguard. Failing that, remember to rough up the surface with fine grit to make sure the paint stays on.

I'm alright with the wiring and shielding aspects, but I haven't done too much woodworking or finishing, and don't have most of the tools needed for those elements of this project, though I do have a good deal of experience with an orbital sander from work. I also don't know where to look to find parts that will fit a Ricky that aren't from Ricky, because they don't use the standard parts like other companies.

Which parts were you thinking of replacing? From your description it sounds like only the electronics need to go. The tuners and bridge can be replaced with generic parts quite easily though.

Seymour Duncan does seem like my best option for pickups after a bit of searching. The bridge, on the other hand, is probably going to have to be an authentic Ricky. For tuners, I'll see what I can find, and might go a little weird with it.

SD do a direct replacement for Rick pickups, any thing that will fit a Rick should fit yours (though I'd like to see the pickup under the cover.)

Any tips for sanding the finish off the neck? I'm planning to just take my time and be careful but I don't know if there's anything I need to look out for.

I tend to do it chemically to prevent altering the neck profile too much. This is long and smelly work though so if you want a quick and dirty alternative try using steal wool from coarse to fine. Make sure you wear gloves, make sure the neck is nowhere near the magnetic pickups. Speaking from nasty experiences of both those.

As someone who defretted a shit ton of basses, I don't recommend it. The amount of time and grief its going to take, you might as well get a quick temp job and buy a brand new fretless and have something much more playable. This goes doubly for basses with potentially dubious truss rods.

Also:

[img]www.yourimageurl.com[/img]
Last edited by Spaz91 at Feb 9, 2016,