I currently use a Fender Mustang 3, which I really don't like at all. I like the Panama Inferno and EVH 5150, but I can't afford either one. I play mostly progressive metal and I generally play with a lot of exrended chords generally used in jazz, rather than normal powerchords. So I need an amp that sounds clear and crisp, but still heavy. Any recommendations for affordable amps that would sound good for what I want?
Carvin V3? Very clear amp, all the way from very clean to very distorted. Not probably the best Djent style amp, but I think it sounds great.
What is your budget and where do you live?

Hard to recommend if we only know 2 amps you can't afford.

Help us help you.

Edit: And the V3 is a cool amp. The distortion channel is kinda one dimensional form what I remember but I could be thinking of the smaller v3 or whatever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 10, 2016,
Quote by JosephFeagin8
Carvin V3? Very clear amp, all the way from very clean to very distorted. Not probably the best Djent style amp, but I think it sounds great.

That.

JSX used or whatever the new one that replaced it is called by Peavey (3120?)
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 10, 2016,
Thanks for the advice, guys. As for my budget, I'm looking at something below $1000, preferably closer to $500 if possible.
When you say "prog" you mean Djent right? If so, you'd probably want a more digital sound that guys nowadays usually get from Axe-Fx, although those are over $2500.

A more affordable suggestion (assuming you have a recording/audio interface and laptop already) would be getting a poweramp and cabinet and running a VST host such as Pedalboard 2 with modeling software (Bias, GTR, Revalver, etc. ). That way all the FX and tone are right in the box at your fingertips.

It sounds amateur to go this route but guys like Michael Keene are doing it live for their rigs.

Though if you preferr physical tube amps:

V3 as mentioned
Used Mesa Dual Rectifier
6505/5150
JCA100HDM
JSX
Peavey XXL (solid-state but VERY affordable and super tight distortion for modern djenty stuff)
Nah, I don't play djent. My style is a mix of classic and new progressive rock/metal. I'm not a fan of digital amps so axe fx is something I'd rather avoid. I like the sound and feeling of real tube amps.