Hello all, I am approaching the savings required to be able to buy a small valve head for bedroom practice and I have more or less decided on the Marshall DSL15H, it sounds pretty good to me on both clean and distorted tones.

The only issue is that it has no effects loop, I own a chorus, delay and reverb which I like to use on my clean tones. Will running them into the front if the amp sound shitty?

My other option is to get the Peavey 6505MH which has an effects loop, however it is a little bit more expensive and I am very impatient.

Tone wise I like both, like I said this is just for a tonal upgrade to my Vypyr for bedroom practice, I can worry about ideal tones in a bigger head when me and the Girlfriend get a bigger place so I can build a home studio and start looking to form a band properly.

Which one do you think will be the most reliable and long lasting?
Is the effects loop that big a deal?
Which one would you recommend?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I think you'll get all sorts of answers back on how good does a practice tone really need to be. . .

However, when that's your only tone, I feel that the practice tone is very important. If you hate your tone you're not going to play.

So both of those options are heads. What are you doing for speakers?

Are you willing to go used? If so, is a used Peavey 6505+ 112 combo a similar cost over there?

If you are going new or have the speakers sorted out, the Laney IronHeart Studio may be a good option for you. Tube amp, 3 channels, Loop, footswitch, recording features, no load required for headphones, DI output. £374 from Andertons. You may find a deal on a mint used one.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Your choice of songs can be important in this.

One of the songs I play requires a loop that is clean and I play distorted over the top. A couple of songs I play require turning off/on all the pedals at once, mid song. For these I really need the FX loop.

On the other hand, if all the songs I wanted to play had the same tone throughout or just the odd pedal on/off then I don't think I'd be worried about the lack of FX loop.
I will probably get a Harley Benton 1x12/2x12 with V30's depending on how much space I can negotiate from the girlfriend in the bedroom haha, until we get the new place and space won't be as much of an issue.

In terms of the tone, I like the tone of both amps, I am just after a valve head to get the dynamics and response and just general improved tone you don't get from digital/modelling/solid state amps. This won't be a gigging amp, I will worry about that after I have the space and band to warrant a 100watt head and 4x12.

I would be willing to go used if a good enough deal showed up, however I am quite fussy about used things and if the savings aren't that drastic I would rather spend the extra £££ and get brand new.

I will look into that Laney you mentioned, that actually sounds pretty cool, as recording from whatever I end up getting will be on the agenda.

Thankyou for the input \m/>_<\m/
Quote by SpiderM
Your choice of songs can be important in this.

One of the songs I play requires a loop that is clean and I play distorted over the top. A couple of songs I play require turning off/on all the pedals at once, mid song. For these I really need the FX loop.

On the other hand, if all the songs I wanted to play had the same tone throughout or just the odd pedal on/off then I don't think I'd be worried about the lack of FX loop.

Alot of the music I write switches between clean and distorted throughout the song, and my effects will basically be constant on the clean tone as I love the dissonant and dreamy sound of chorus, delay and reverb on a clean tone. (Thanks Petrucci :P)

So yeah, I guess the effects loop will be essential for live playing, however like I said, this will just be used for bedroom practice and recording, I will have some kind of high end amplifier by the time I start gigging with a band or get super serious with my recording.

Thankyou aswell.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Last edited by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma at Feb 10, 2016,
Glad it helped. I'm picky about used stuff too but I've scored some AWESOME deals by looking.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Glad it helped. I'm picky about used stuff too but I've scored some AWESOME deals by looking.

Yeah me too, I generally always browse pawn shops and cash converters and that because you can find some real gems every now and then if the cashier/customer didn't know what they had.

My Stratocaster was £30, and it's the best Squire I have played (not exactly a great feat obviously, but for 30 quid it's an amazing guitar, especially now with some upgrades) My Vypyr was £70.

I found a Gibson Les Paul Studio 2015 in mint condition for £450 but the girlfriend forbade it since I have an Epiphone Custom and already have a deposit payed on a new 7 string RG
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
gues it depends on how you practice. i rarely even plug in most of my fx when i practice unless i'm working on a song for live perfomance. i'm pretty old school and can remeber the days when amps didn't have fx loops so i'm used to running them in front of the amp (granted now my amps have fx loops). i'd say don't sweat it and experiment some with fx placement to get the best sound.
You could always get the DSL5C which has an effects loop, the sound is pretty similar and the volume is more than enough for home practice, although you do lose the built-in reverb (but you said you have a reverb, so that's no big deal).
Last edited by slickerthnsleek at Feb 10, 2016,
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I will probably get a Harley Benton 1x12/2x12 with V30's depending on how much space I can negotiate from the girlfriend in the bedroom haha, until we get the new place and space won't be as much of an issue.

I highly suggest getting a 2x12. It will sound better, and, in the long run, it will save you money when you do decide to put together a band. A 2x12 with V30s should have no issues handling a 100 watt head, so when the time comes, you might be able to spring for a better head since you won't need to worry about a cabinet. You can always upgrade to a 4x12 later on down the road.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
if you're only using those fx with the amp clean a loop will make no difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Dave is right. As long as you don't plan on using the effects with high levels of gain (i.e., clean), you should be fine. And even if you do decide to throw some delay or reverb on a crunch setting for a lead tone, it won't sound terrible either. Hell, you might even like it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Hello all, I am approaching the savings required to be able to buy a small valve head for bedroom practice and I have more or less decided on the Marshall DSL15H, it sounds pretty good to me on both clean and distorted tones.

The only issue is that it has no effects loop, I own a chorus, delay and reverb which I like to use on my clean tones. Will running them into the front if the amp sound shitty?

On a clean setting you do not need an fx loop at all - the only real purpose of an fx loop is running fx when playing on very high gain settings. For a clean tone it's completely unnecessary.