So, my Jet City came in yesterday!
And it's having issues already...
It was an open box purchase. I noticed that I could hear the amp sliding around a bit before I opened the box. Not all of the styrofoam corners were in place to keep it steady during shipping.

I'm getting a lot of feedback on both channels that increases when I raise the gain and/or volume. The feedback is very audible even with the gain and volume almost all the way down. The first thing I did was plug into the return on my FX Loop. Feedback. Kinda pointless, since I get the feedback even with nothing plugged in at all. Just trying to cover all bases. I pulled the chassis and tried lightly tapping on all the tubes with a pen to see if I get any strange noise out of any of them. Nothing. I pulled all the preamp tubes and put them back in to see if any were loose. The power tubes were under some annoying clamps that I didn't feel like trying to get off, so I just kinda pushed down to make sure they were in place.

So, what's my next step? Also, should I even keep going with this or just send it back?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Reseating tubes is always a good thing after shipping so go through the effort to reseat those power tubes.

I'd try another guitar, cable, and power cable if it's detachable. Another outlet in your house and then call the vendor for options.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
That is why I never recommend open box/B stock purchases. It seems like half the time people end up with somebody else's problem Amp. I would send it back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, I tried everything but reseating the power tubes. I don't want to risk breaking them since I'm gonna send it back. trashedlostfdup makes a good point. The amp was supposed to be mint condition. The few scuffs and dents on the outside are passable as damage caused in shipping from the two missing styrofoam corners. However, the scratches and dents on the transformer tell me that it wasn't exactly mint when they shipped it. I'm gonna see if I can just pay the difference and get a new one. Freakin' $36 difference anyway. I only bothered with the open box because they're out of stock on new ones until the 22nd. Lesson learned.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
That is why I never recommend open box/B stock purchases. It seems like half the time people end up with somebody else's problem Amp. I would send it back.

wow i thought i was the only one who was worried about that

but yeah i mean i guess some people send the thing back because they just don't like it, but i'm always concerned they'll send faulty ones out again and hope you don't send it back.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tap on the power tubes with a pencil. If there is sound coming from the speakers then it's gone microphonic. If not the problem will be the phase inverter, try tapping it too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Is there a difference between tapping with a pen and a pencil? That was the first thing I tried. Already got my RA# anyway. I'm just swapping it for a new one.

Quote by Dave_Mc
wow i thought i was the only one who was worried about that

but yeah i mean i guess some people send the thing back because they just don't like it, but i'm always concerned they'll send faulty ones out again and hope you don't send it back.

Yeah, looks like it's a valid concern. I was expecting a working one that the original buyer didn't like or a floor model. I guess it's possible that the buyer could just say they didn't like it when it's actually defective. They claim to check the amp upon receipt, though. Maybe they just look at it from the outside and say, "Still looks pretty. Back on the shelf."
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

^ Yeah i'd take that with a pinch of salt, quite frankly. Over the past while I've had a bad run with both guitar- and non-guitar-related electronic stuff, and have sent stuff in for repair, only to have it come back with the same fault (sometimes more faults) than when it was sent in. So if they're not checking stuff properly which they *know* in advance to be faulty from the outset, and which is to be sent back to the same customer (who will presumably notice, considering said customer noticed enough to send it back first time), I'd be a bit sceptical of how carefully they're checking stuff which they think they might be able to get away with putting back on sale to a new customer who they hope might not notice.

Yeah.

And yeah that's also a very good point- some customers may well decide that if they're within the return period that it's a lot less hassle and grief to just say they don't want it any more than to go through the whole rigmarole of reporting a problem, having to get that checked out, etc. etc. (and at the end of which if it's still not fixed they may be outside said return period and have much less chance of actually securing that refund).

Again the shops say that they check even supposedly working returns before they put them on sale again, but I'd point you back to my first paragraph for my opinion on that one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 12, 2016,
I got an e-mail today saying that they received my return. I don't have my refund yet, but they've already got it back up for sale on their website.
Yeah, I'm thinking no one should ever order Open Box from Musician's Friend/Guitar Center.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Quote by Haha, Crackhead
I got an e-mail today saying that they received my return. I don't have my refund yet, but they've already got it back up for sale on their website.
Yeah, I'm thinking no one should ever order Open Box from Musician's Friend/Guitar Center.

haha. good reason not to get one. crooked bastards.

fortunately i have not had to learn that from experience, i learn from you cheapasses who don't want to pay full price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hey. I only bought Open Box because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for them to get New ones in stock. Worked out well, though. The JCA22H Custom went on sale before they got my return in, so I cancelled the regular JCA22H they were gonna send and ordered that one. Supposed to be here Monday.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Quote by Haha, Crackhead

wow

yeah i think my previous rant post is maybe kind of vindicated.

glad to hear it worked out, though, if you'd rather have the newer custom version
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
awesome amp for the price congrats.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^Thanks. I'm super stoked.

Quote by Dave_Mc
wow

yeah i think my previous rant post is maybe kind of vindicated.

glad to hear it worked out, though, if you'd rather have the newer custom version

Yeah, I actually do want the custom version more. I wasn't looking at it when I was originally buying the amp because there was a $100 price difference. The difference dropped to $19, so I kind of had to. The added Bright switch and slightly cleaner Crunch channel alone is worth the jump for me.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

yeah. sometimes things work out for the best. doesn't justify all the grief you had before that, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?