Hello, I really havn't posted on UG for a while but I am wondering your opinions on DI boxes. For guitars, when I am recording myself I usually record the line out from my pod xt pro or mic my randall rg75 into a focusrite scarlett 2i2. Unfortunately the 2i2 is not so good at handling direct guitar input and will get a bad signal and clipping with DI. I have been really wanting to experiment with new tones using DI such as positive grid BIAS and Waves GTR. I've been thinking about the Radial JDI. Is the Radial JDI good for recording? How about the Radial J48?
I leik music
Last edited by col50 at Feb 10, 2016,
I use a Shatten 50some $ job for direct .Im serious .I use a xotic ac plus in front of it ,
Radial Passive is what I use. I have a few guitars with EMG's but even with my passive pick up guitar, it can do a good job recording DI's.
Quote by Mister Revenant
Radial Passive is what I use. I have a few guitars with EMG's but even with my passive pick up guitar, it can do a good job recording DI's.

I use both active and passive pickups so i think this would be good. It seems that generally the radial products are all decent
I leik music
Quote by col50
I use both active and passive pickups so i think this would be good. It seems that generally the radial products are all decent

They're great. I bought their D2 stereo box (essentially 2 DI boxes in one) as I needed the bigger capability and the price wasn't much higher than the one channel DI. What I like about them is that they use a hefty transformer to eliminate noise. In this case you pay premium for quality.
Can you not change the output level of the Pod?

I thought their was a mode that changed the output by -10db or summat.
Quote by col50

I plan on also getting one of Radial's reamp boxes as well since they're highly regarded.
Quote by diabolical
You can try the Radial passive DI in reverse, that works for reamping as well.

Really? How would one go through with that? I just got my first tube amp and have wanted to try reamping but I cant seem to find any that explain how to using A Radial Passive DI and Reaper.
Quote by Mister Revenant
Really? How would one go through with that? I just got my first tube amp and have wanted to try reamping but I cant seem to find any that explain how to using A Radial Passive DI and Reaper.

Actually I just figured it out haha. But I would need new cables so I can run the cables in reverse. Thanks!
Quote by Killing Hand
Can you not change the output level of the Pod?

I thought their was a mode that changed the output by -10db or summat.

I can record with the pod fine, but i really don't like the pod tones much, which is why i was looking into getting a di box so i could just do guitar into DI into interface then I could get rid of my pod. The pod actually has a "unprocessed guitar out" which I tried using but still causes clipping on the raw guitar tone
I leik music
You just run the DI in reverse, or you can even try and see what results you get by using the output from your audio interface back into the amp, then adjusting levels. In my case I have a Radial PRORMP but honestly I don't see much difference between that and running a DI box in reverse.

Maybe this will help:
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/203.html

Another thing to try would be putting a DI and recording both the amp and the DI as safety, and in some rare cases you might need to go back and use the DI track, if say a mic got moved middle session or they change bassist mid record and he brings in a new sound that doesn't work with the guitar sounds, or whatever reason. We did that in the studio for quite a while and used our passive DI boxes in reverse. We had some high quality ones, but can't remember the name now, I think they don't make them anymore, but the Radial passive DI would be a similar design to the ones we had.

On my Boss GT-10 processor there is an option to take the signal dry into the DAW, by putting the "record USB out" in the master mixer first into the chain, then the processing is used only for monitoring while you record. Maybe something similar can be done with the POD. If you need to drop the signal if it is too hot, you can put in an eq before that and just do a few db cut on the eq itself across all bands, that will effectively work as a regular volume level drop.
Quote by diabolical
You just run the DI in reverse, or you can even try and see what results you get by using the output from your audio interface back into the amp, then adjusting levels. In my case I have a Radial PRORMP but honestly I don't see much difference between that and running a DI box in reverse.

Maybe this will help:
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/203.html

Another thing to try would be putting a DI and recording both the amp and the DI as safety, and in some rare cases you might need to go back and use the DI track, if say a mic got moved middle session or they change bassist mid record and he brings in a new sound that doesn't work with the guitar sounds, or whatever reason. We did that in the studio for quite a while and used our passive DI boxes in reverse. We had some high quality ones, but can't remember the name now, I think they don't make them anymore, but the Radial passive DI would be a similar design to the ones we had.

On my Boss GT-10 processor there is an option to take the signal dry into the DAW, by putting the "record USB out" in the master mixer first into the chain, then the processing is used only for monitoring while you record. Maybe something similar can be done with the POD. If you need to drop the signal if it is too hot, you can put in an eq before that and just do a few db cut on the eq itself across all bands, that will effectively work as a regular volume level drop.
I just connected an output into the output of the DI Box, then connected the amp in through the input like I would my guitar. Reaper changed some settings in how you change the input/outputs but I got it figured out and manages to reamp my first tone. Only thing I'll need now are some new wires and maybe a Decimator pedal for the noise suppression.
Radial as the others have said are the best, however if you feel like a cheapass the other decent alternative is a LiveWire Heavy-Duty Passive DI. I've compared it to some Countrymans and it held up decently imo.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett (same preamps as 2i2) and the clipping problem is just as bad. DI box fixes it and improves the sound by far.