Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now. I am way better than all the guitarists I've met (not saying this because of my ego, I just am) But I have hit a plateau and haven't improved for months, and I want to get really good as fast as possible (preferably without lessons). Can anyone tell me practice routines and techniques to get exceptionally good as fast as possible. By the way, don't think I am asking for a "Master Guitar Easy" type of thing. I am willing to put in the work. I just don't know where to start. Also, contrary to popular belief with the people I have met before, I don't just want to get better at guitar to impress girls. I actually care, but all that aside, advice?
Practice
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
How many guitarists have you met? 7? 8?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The fastest way to get better at guitar is to continue playing your guitar. Learn some songs you like and apply those techniques that you picked up from learning those songs to learn harder songs or start writing your own shit. Guitar Pro is a helpful tool, use it.
It's not something you can rush. You can only practice more often. Like practicing an hour a day instead of 10 minutes.

Also, when learning a song, be sure you're learning the technique used rather than getting it right note to note. You still want to get the notes right, but if you don't emphasize learning the technique, you'll only make slower progress. I think people who try to learn too fast tend to have this problem.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 10, 2016,
just sit down and play for an hour everyday, doesn't matter if you're just shredding randomly or learning a particular song or scale or group of chords.

don't focus too much on learning songs if you're just starting out, but try to learn every scale you can find on the net. Try to learn every popular chordal structure, and learn to play them clean so you can implement them into your own playing

try youtube! plenty of great teachers on there! I have learned basically everything i know about guitar from watching youtube videos for 6+ years.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Not sure if its still around, but Guitar Speed Trainer is the best, most efficient software program to build up your chops.
Quote by k.lainad at #33825915
just sit down and play for an hour everyday, doesn't matter if you're just shredding randomly or learning a particular song or scale or group of chords.

shredding randomly does not count as practicing, in any way.
To those of you who have given me specific advice, thank you very much. To all the others... stop being a dick?
Quote by synthflynmachin
To those of you who have given me specific advice, thank you very much. To all the others... stop being a dick?

Going against a long ingrained forum ethos there, bud.
Quote by synthflynmachin
sounds like you just got here
Quote by synthflynmachin

Or.... now hear me out.

You fucking practice
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by synthflynmachin
No one has really been a dick here, but even if they were, they have a right to since you didn't post this question in the right forum.
Quote by snipelfritz

Sir, you are in the Pit.

You are not safe.

You will most likely not get real answers here.

This is where people come to escape practicing guitar.
Quote by pressureproject
Sir, you are in the Pit.

You are not safe.

You will most likely not get real answers here.

This is where people come to escape practicing guitar.

Fuck off you elitist emotionally stable cunt
Training your ear would be the most benifitficial thing to do. Like sing solfedge and crap then hum/sing songs. Then you will get a feel for the intervals ect ect. As for learning scalded you only really need 4 major, natural minor, melodic minor and harmonic.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Training your ear would be the most benifitficial thing to do. Like sing solfedge and crap then hum/sing songs. Then you will get a feel for the intervals ect ect. As for learning scalded you only really need 4 major, natural minor, melodic minor and harmonic.
Just wanted to say, I completely forgot that thing in your sig happened.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by whywefight
The best guitarist here is Joshua Garcia, so do what he does and post here way too much
Can confirm. This really helped me nail those chops.
Quote by snipelfritz

And don't be afraid to impersonate your friends and have conversations with them. Ain't that right, Bladez22?
Quote by snipelfritz

Bladez22: Yes, Josh is right about everything. Pls kiss me.
Quote by snipelfritz

Get off my DICK yo.
Quote by snipelfritz

Guitar is one of those things that you can't and shouldn't try to rush... it's probably not the best advice if you were coming here expecting to hear the forbidden secret of the six strings, or if you expected someone to hand you the Pick Of Destiny and give you the powers of the devil himself.

In all seriousness, you just have to practice. Practice. PRACTICE. And don't stop because it seems challenging. With the right mindset and effort you'll be able to gradually get better and better at playing guitar. Hope that helps.
Quote by synthflynmachin
Hey guys. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now. I am way better than all the guitarists I've met (not saying this because of my ego, I just am) But I have hit a plateau and haven't improved for months, and I want to get really good as fast as possible (preferably without lessons). Can anyone tell me practice routines and techniques to get exceptionally good as fast as possible. By the way, don't think I am asking for a "Master Guitar Easy" type of thing. I am willing to put in the work. I just don't know where to start. Also, contrary to popular belief with the people I have met before, I don't just want to get better at guitar to impress girls. I actually care, but all that aside, advice?

From the sounds of it you're pretty skilled, and essentially asking for free lessons. If you think you're better than any guitarist you've met, then why do you think that a guitar forum will be populated by guitarists that are much better than you, to the point that they will know exactly what you should do to improve to a level much greater than the one you're at right now, and in the fastest possible way?

It sounds to me like you're asking for information that only a fairly select group of individuals will have the answer to, and that's gonna cost you money.

You could try YouTube videos of great guitarists, but really, what you want, I think, is someone to look at what you can do, and know what your next step is, and tell you how to get there the fastest. That's not going to be easy to find, especially for free on a forum.
Learn and play songs you enjoy.
Superfast way to get decent but probably hurts you in the long run.
It did me. Instead of learning scales and chords I just learned a lot of intermediate songs I liked.
It got my fingers strong but once u learn a bunch of basic songs u are kinda stuck without too much fundamental knowledge.
As has been mentioned before you seem to have a weird attitude, 'I'm the best but I want you peasants to tell me how to improve'. Each to their own though.

Step 1: Deflate your ego, if you think you're shit hot already then you'll never get any better. True story.

Step 2: Decide what you actually want to improve at. As opposed to 'I want to be super good at guitar', make a target of say that you want to improve sweep picking (for example, seems common but insert your own problem areas here).

Step 3: Work out why you aren't already mega awesome at it, maybe it's bad technique, timings a little off, poor hand sync etc. then work on those specific areas by PRACTICING!

Step 4: Now this ones really important and gets disregarded the most by aspiring guitar players, actually practice! Like you know, proper practice with a metronome and shit for at least an hour a day.

Blasting meaninglessly through a few songs you can already play isn't practice. Randomly shredding isn't practice. Trying to impress your mates by playing Petruccis latest monster lick faster than your ability allows isn't practice. BUT sitting with a metronome and working on your problem areas is VERY EFFECTIVE practice, so much so that Satriani (a dab hand at teaching guitar so I hear) would have you do that.

There isn't a magic practice routine or warmup, you just have to pick a few exercises that you like (ideally that target your weak areas) and blast them to a metronome (obviously starting out slow then building up) and I personally guarantee that in time you'll be as good as you think you are now!

Failing that, haul your ass down the crossroads...
P.S, sorry if my attitude seems a little shoddy also but if you've played for 5 years and are 'better than any guitarist you've met', knowing how to effectively practice should be your bread and butter by now
Quote by synthflynmachin at #33825833
I am way better than all the guitarists I've met (not saying this because of my ego, I just am)

That sounds like ego.

But I have hit a plateau and haven't improved for months, and I want to get really good as fast as possible (preferably without lessons).

Why are lessons a problem? You'll learn more from an hour with a competent instructor than you will from a week by yourself. Yeah it involves paying money, but time is money. Given the time saved to reach roughly the same level of skill, it's money well-spent, especially since you're looking for something that yields quick improvement in a short amount of time.

Can anyone tell me practice routines and techniques to get exceptionally good as fast as possible. By the way, don't think I am asking for a "Master Guitar Easy" type of thing. I am willing to put in the work. I just don't know where to start. Also, contrary to popular belief with the people I have met before, I don't just want to get better at guitar to impress girls. I actually care, but all that aside, advice?

1. Learn to keep time. Play along with a metronome, or with another musician. Be brutal on your timing, make sure it's exactly on-beat. Then once you know how to get it exactly on-beat, practice playing before and after the beat. Nothing kills a band faster than someone whose timing is inconsistent and off-beat from the rest of the group.
2. Give yourself restrictions. Restrictions force you to be creative, because instead of infinite possibilities where you can create the easy thing, it forces you to try and think of something with limited tools. Spend ten minutes trying to come up with a melody only using one string, or only using one fret, or only using bends, or things like that.
3. Play with other musicians. Specifically, play with musicians who are better than you. If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room, as they say. When we play with musicians who we're as good as or better than, then we get nothing out of it, because everything we're getting is something we've done. But when we play with musicians better than us, it forces us to up our game and get better so that we don't drag their performance down. If all the guitarists you know aren't as good as you, stop looking at guitarists. Start jamming with a piano player or an upright bassist or a sax player or someone on another instrument. Not only is there a good chance that there's at least one better musician than you somewhere if you expand your search, but having the different styles and ways of phrasing influencing you can make a big impact on your own playing.
4. Make music and share it with people. Nothing will stop you from making bad musical choices faster than making music, and sharing it with people who aren't afraid of telling you that it sounds like shit because there's no rhythm and your melody is wanky. Ultimately, the purpose of any instrument is to make music, so let yours fulfill its purpose, and then get honest criticism from people you trust the opinions of - there's a difference between your friend Steve who minored in performance saying your melody could use a few more accidentals, and xxtaintmaster69xx on youtube telling you that your music sucks and that you're gay - who'll tell you how your music is good, how it's not good, and how you need to get better. Nothing will stop you from doing a bad scale run faster than someone who you value the input of telling you that it sounds bad. Plus it's getting you to make music, and that's one of those skills that will stay forever terrible unless you practice it regularly.
5. Learn new chords. Roughly 35 minutes, and probably more than that, of a guitarist's job in a 40-minute set will be playing rhythm. If all you know - and this is all a lot of guitarists know, including myself when I was at five years - is how to bang on open position CAGED chords, then you're not doing your job right. Learn intervals, learn jazz chords, learn suspended chords and diminished chords and dominant chords and chord shells and triads and whatever the fuck that arpeggiated nonsense Eric Johnson makes sound so good is. The more ways you can play more chords, the better you'll be at guitar.
6. Get lessons. Seriously, if you want to get better fast, nothing will make you improve faster than having a good instructor teach and critique you.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 11, 2016,
Find a good teacher and take regular lessons from him.
Practice daily and don't listen to everyone who say you shouldn't learn songs. Do it, the most important thing with playing an instrument is to have a fun.

Also, slowly and with metronome, even when you're taking a dump.
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do..
Clik This Link inYour Browser....

► ► ► ► http://www.FreelanceJoin.com

Page 1 of 2