So recently, I've began messing with the tone controls on the virtual GarageBand amps
for some reason, I can't upload a picture, but here's the settings:

"Royal Riffing"
bass: 6
mid: 6
treble: 8
gain: 8
presence: 6
master: 9
output: 5
reverb: 2
tremolo rate: 0
tremolo depth: 0

The amp looks like one of these, but says "Garageband" on it:

It sounds kind of muddy, not like my 10w (real) amp I have (a small Sawtooth amp; which came from a guitar kit I bought a long time ago)

Is there some way I can solve this issue?

thanks
well...try maybe some presets and tweak from there. With Garageband I think you can use only their plugins so you can't get 3rd party freeware to load in there, so if you can't get good results, see if you can get something like Lepou to use in Reaper and see if you can achieve better sounds.
How are you connecting to your computer?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do..
Clik This Link inYour Browser....

► ► ► ► http://www.FreelanceJoin.com

You should tell us how you are connecting your guitar to your PC...

About the settings, cut the bass, raise the mids to around 8, and cut the gain. Seriously, you don't need that much gain. I keep my gain around 2 ~ 3.5 (with an overdrive plugin, TSE 808, serving as a boost on the front of the amp - Gain at 0 and Volume at Max) and I get a pretty heavy sound. In most situations, less gain is more/better.

I don't have any experience with Garageband, but if you want amazing free plugins, try Lepou's amp sims. They sound pretty good and I use them quite often. Be sure to use IRs as well, you need IRs if you're going to use Lepou's sims.

Here's a list of amp sims, IRs and other plugins:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593
Last edited by DanyFS at Feb 11, 2016,
Quote by Parac
I have my guitar plugged into my laptop with an iRig2

Also another important thing, make sure your signal isn't clipping.

Try the suggestions above and get back at us with the results.
Quote by DanyFS
Also another important thing, make sure your signal isn't clipping.

Try the suggestions above and get back at us with the results.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Clipping"

but I'll try some of the suggestions, and see if it helps or not.
Quote by Parac

Sound to me like he is in fact clipping. Check your audio in settings on your computer's device window, and check your meters in your DAW. If you see red then youre clipping. Clipping is when you send too much signal to your system and it cuts the peaks off to keep it under the limit and it sounds really bad (this is a terrible explanation, but im no whiz)
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Parac

Maybe you should read this stuff then:

https://www.homemusicstudio1.com/how-to-set-recording-levels/
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2013/11/25/do-you-know-how-to-read-your-meters/

Quote by Watterboy
Sound to me like he is in fact clipping. Check your audio in settings on your computer's device window, and check your meters in your DAW. If you see red then youre clipping. Clipping is when you send too much signal to your system and it cuts the peaks off to keep it under the limit and it sounds really bad (this is a terrible explanation, but im no whiz)

Pretty much this. The signal starts to distort when it clips, that's why you get a really nasty sound.

TS, if you want a more technical definition of clipping, use the Google. But very very basically, it's what Watterboy said.
Lol I changed the amp to the Orange amp, sounds better now. No more muddy sounds.

As for clipping, to lessen the signal, should I turn down the volume knob on my guitar? Or mess with the amp's output/volume knobs?
Quote by Parac
Lol I changed the amp to the Orange amp, sounds better now. No more muddy sounds.

As for clipping, to lessen the signal, should I turn down the volume knob on my guitar? Or mess with the amp's output/volume knobs?

The volume knob of the guitar can avoid clipping but you'll lose tone. You need to adjust your iRig 2 volume and gain knob, if it has any...

I know that Reaper allows you to put VSTs on the Input, so you can raise or lower the input through VSTs in case it's too low or if you are clipping respectively. Very useful if your interface doesn't has volume or gain knobs for some reason. Not sure about Garageband and other DAWs though.
Last edited by DanyFS at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
The volume knob of the guitar can avoid clipping but you'll lose tone. You need to adjust your iRig 2 volume and gain knob, if it has any...

I know that Reaper allows you to put VSTs on the Input, so you can raise or lower the input through VSTs in case it's too low or if you are clipping respectively. Very useful if your interface doesn't has volume or gain knobs for some reason. Not sure about Garageband and other DAWs though.

My guitar has a tone knob as well. I don't really mess with it though since it seems the higher I turn it, the more it seems that volume gets shifted from the bass strings to the high strings

As for VSTs, I'm using Garageband 6.0.5, it seems to have stuff like AUPitch, EQ, and a bunch of others.
I'm still currently trying to get 3rd party plugins to work. No success yet
Quote by Parac
My guitar has a tone knob as well. I don't really mess with it though since it seems the higher I turn it, the more it seems that volume gets shifted from the bass strings to the high strings

As for VSTs, I'm using Garageband 6.0.5, it seems to have stuff like AUPitch, EQ, and a bunch of others.
I'm still currently trying to get 3rd party plugins to work. No success yet

The higher the tone knob, the more the mid to high end frequencies are pronounced. Leave it at around 7-8 if you're playing higher gain stuff. I don't like to max it out when using amp sims because the sound tends to get a bit fizzy that way.

Having it all the way down makes the sound REALLY muddy in my experience. That may be another reason for your muddyness.

Reaper accepts 3rd party plugins way better than Garageband. It's technically free. You can keep using it after the 60 day trial with no limitations at all. You only need the license if you're making money out of the stuff you produce on it. Should have everything you need, I highly recommend it.
Last edited by DanyFS at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
The higher the tone knob, the more the mid to high end frequencies are pronounced. Leave it at around 7-8 if you're playing higher gain stuff. I don't like to max it out when using amp sims because the sound tends to get a bit fizzy that way.

Having it all the way down makes the sound REALLY muddy in my experience. That may be another reason for your muddyness.

Reaper accepts 3rd party plugins way better than Garageband. It's technically free. You can keep using it after the 60 day trial with no limitations at all. You only need the license if you're making money out of the stuff you produce on it. Should have everything you need, I highly recommend it.

Dunno, maybe its just my terrible (real) 10w cheap amp, but when I turn the tone knob anywhere except 0 or max, it makes these buzzing sounds. (when plugged to computer, it sometimes happens as well. I thought only single coil pickups had buzzing :/ )

As for Reaper, I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion
Quote by Parac
Dunno, maybe its just my terrible (real) 10w cheap amp, but when I turn the tone knob anywhere except 0 or max, it makes these buzzing sounds. (when plugged to computer, it sometimes happens as well. I thought only single coil pickups had buzzing :/ )

As for Reaper, I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion

That's odd. Maybe the pot is faulty? Guitar not properly shielded/grounded? Could be many reasons.

But better keep it at 10 than 0 anyway. Many guitarists, specially heavy metal guitarists, have guitars with no tone knob - which means that it is like always at 11, very basically. If stuff gets too fizzy or something with the tone knob at 10, just use a low pass filter around the 10k-12k range with an EQ plugin.

Single coils have 60 cycle hum. Humbuckers can make noise too (not 60 cycle hum though), specially in high gain situations. Just nature of the beast. A noise gate is a must if playing with mid to high gain.

Reaper comes with various useful plugins, like ReaEQ, for EQ obviously, and ReaGate, which is a very easy to use noise gate VST. They are always in my VST chain.