Been wondering from watching youtube videos of guitar covers...

Do guitar shapes make a difference? It seems that a lot of guitarists are using Les Pauls and Stratocaster guitars with Active pickups.

Does the shape make a very noticeable difference in sound? or is more of a personal preference?

Also, what tuning is A# F A# D# G C ?
Saw it while trying to find tabs for "Last Light - Bury Tomorrow" (its been one of my current favorite songs, so I've been trying to learn it. I got the rhythm parts down (sort of...), just the fast parts, I'm not sure how to pick the strings that quick while going to the other strings and picking those...
The guitar parts at here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokRGWZsQIc&t=51s

Thanks
-Parac
Last edited by Parac at Feb 10, 2016,
I don't think so.

But at some point I ran across some university research that suggested that the shape of the guitar *does* affect certain frequencies' absorption. I think they were looking at an Explorer or star-shape guitar and comparing it to a LP.

At the time I just waved it off. I'll see if I can find it and let you decide for yourself if there's anything to it. You asked about a "very noticeable difference," and I'd still have to say no...

Edit: Found it!

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/guitars.html

This is work performed by Dr. Daniel A. Russell while he was a physics professor at Kettering University from 1995-2011. Currently conducting a graduate program in acoustics at Pennsylvania State University.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 11, 2016,
No. In fact, even the wood makes no difference at all in electric guitars!

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Some have told and said everything effect's tone. Fat necks wood and everything. I do not believe that. But they do. And will talk about it all the time. New guitar day Mahogany Stratocaster. The wood gives it a fat strong sound. But I do not believe a lot of that. It might effect it a little.
not shape, but body and neck thickness does IMO. take something like a LP which has quite a thick body and compare it to an SG, which has a thinner body in comparison. the difference however i dont think is a great deal and as has been said above, electrics affect the tone far more.
The size/thickness of the guitar body/neck as well as the type of neck joint may have some effect on sustain but IMO with an electric guitar, especially with a distorted tone, the wood type and body size would have very slight effect if none at all.

To me "tone woods" are something to consider when purchasing an acoustic guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Parac

Also, what tuning is A# F A# D# G C ?

That's Drop A# tuning.

Your other question has been answered above already
I have been always reading that wood affects sound and certain pickups don't sound well on certain body woods... thickness affects sustain as far as I know
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 LTD MH-1000FR STBLK
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
Well if it does'nt make a difference then why do an SG and an LP with the same pickups sound so different?I know they do because i gigged with both for a good few years.
And these guitars had the exact same pickups, capacitors and pot values etc... for you to be able to conclusively say that body mass is accounting for the difference? Pickup height the same as well?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by mockbel
I have been always reading that wood affects sound and certain pickups don't sound well on certain body woods... thickness affects sustain as far as I know

Welcome to the deepest rathole in the guitar world! Wars have been, and are being, fought over this topic. As far as I can see, for every guy who thinks tonewood has a major effect on sound there's another who's equally certain it doesn't matter at all.

And both sides are ready to commit character assassination at the drop of a hat.
Dave Bowers

Instruments
Martin D-28
Martin/Sigma DR12-7
Martin Dreadnought Junior
Washburn EA25SNB
Epiphone F-112 Bard
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Considering Fender built a guitar out of cardboard and it sounded like any other strat, I'm going with no on the tone wood debate. If it has any effect, it's not noticeable at all.
ML's and Mockingbirds body shapes only affect sounds because they attract douchebags who don't know what practice or mids are.
Everything has some effect on the sound. IMHO the least important is the "tone wood". Play three guitars of the same modal and they will all (hopefully) sound slightly different. If that wasn't true why would you spend hours at a music store trying out five modals of the same guitar (Strat, Tele, Les Paul etc.) The differences are not dramatic in any case, certainly nothing that can't be tweaked with a little EQ on your amp. I own four Epiphone Les Paul's of different types, some made in Korea and some in China and probably all made slightly differently. Three of them sound very similar even though one is an Ultra II and is weight relieved, one is a Standard and one is a Custom. The fourth one is a 1960 Tribute with Gibson 57 Classic pups and CTS pots. That sounds different than the other three but again it's not night and day noticeable to most people, it's just slightly different and I think the pups, pots and Mallory caps make it sound different not the mahogany or maple cap.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 11, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster
ML's and Mockingbirds body shapes only affect sounds because they attract douchebags who don't know what practice or mids are.

Most guitar companies think wood changes the sound of an instrument , though it might be in a real small way
Quote by JustRooster

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Easy answer: It's well below either aesthetics or comfort in terms of what you'll notice, if there's a sound difference at all.

There may be something to be said for the body affecting the sustain of a note, but again the list of things with a greater effect on that is pretty much everything else on the guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 11, 2016,
I think that's a dignified place to make sure this doesn't get out of hand, as usual.